Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Liddellfan

BJ needs to stay at 155, that's where he belongs. Every time he goes up to 170 he shows up with no gas tank looking like the Pillsbury dough boy. If he does move up and fights Hughes, that's a loss for BJ and neither fighter has anything to gain from that fight. Then all the BJ nut huggers will make more excuses saying he wasn't prepared AGAIN and whatever else they can come up with. There's absolutely no way BJ beats GSP, last time he quit, so what's the point for him moving back up when he will never hold that title as long as GSP is in the game?

Maybe they should let him move up and fight Anderson Silva, teach him a lesson. I would like to hear those excuses after he gets totally destroyed.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:25 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellfan View Post
BJ needs to stay at 155, that's where he belongs. Every time he goes up to 170 he shows up with no gas tank looking like the Pillsbury dough boy. If he does move up and fights Hughes, that's a loss for BJ and neither fighter has anything to gain from that fight. Then all the BJ nut huggers will make more excuses saying he wasn't prepared AGAIN and whatever else they can come up with. There's absolutely no way BJ beats GSP, last time he quit, so what's the point for him moving back up when he will never hold that title as long as GSP is in the game?

Maybe they should let him move up and fight Anderson Silva, teach him a lesson. I would like to hear those excuses after he gets totally destroyed.
BJ via RNC first round ...
Old 04-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Miss Foxy

Please don't Bj!! I don't like when he fights at 170
Old 04-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Maldonado136

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
BJ via RNC first round ...
i cant tell if youre joking or not lol. I believe anderson would punt BJ's head out of the cage. it wouldnt help that BJ's stamina would be worse at 185 then at 170. at least st.pierre has the wrestling to possibly get silva down but he'll just get kicked in the face too.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:09 PM

Alves would own bj but i think he can beat fitch... Kos would be an awesome fight.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Lets be fair to BJ Penn for a moment.

He's worked hard at 155lbs, He keeps defending his title, and he finishes. When he fought GSP...regardless of the outcome or its effect, GSP DID Cheat...Dana told him he had to work to build a legacy at 155lbs...he went back, and carried on building.

I think if he wants to compete at WelterWeight, then they should let him, BUT they should make him work like everyone else to be allowed to contend, and he must still regularly defend the 155lb belt.

I think thats fair for everyone.

I dislike the guy as much as the next man, I recognise that he's a better fighter at 155lbs also...but he should be allowed to do what he wants...especially as he has done what was asked of him first.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:02 PM

Not sure why all the negative reviews here.

BJ has dominated the LW division and finshed most of the fighs in convincing fashion. If he does beat Edgar, then he is probably quite justified in going up to WW againa and competing.

Lets be real here BJ is top 5 WW anyday. He is an ex Champion, he and matt are 1-1.

As BJ says in the video though if people have cared to watch it is that he would like to do it Anderson style, his open to vacating the belt or maybe doing both. He said wants to feel out the WW. He wouldn't want GSP as first fight.

Last thing, BJ hung in there with Machida, i don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to give AS trouble. Beat him, no but he'd do better than nearly all others who have mixed it with the Spider.

And i would also say BJ fought the best Matt Hughes ever seen in the Octagon at that point.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion View Post
his open to vacating the belt .

I dont think he should do that. They let Anderson Silva have fights in a different weight division without making his give up the belt. So long as Penn can defend on demand, I dont see why he shouldnt be allowed to do the same thing
Old 04-05-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
I dont think he should do that. They let Anderson Silva have fights in a different weight division without making his give up the belt. So long as Penn can defend on demand, I dont see why he shouldnt be allowed to do the same thing
But two Champions fighting in Two different divisions and GSP yet to probably embark on the same!

I would be an adovocate of winning, 1 or 2 more fights, then vacating and going all out for WW Gold.

Anderson is only straddaling two Divisionns because he won't fight Machida
Old 04-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Max

From Sherdog

Lately, the pound-for-pound debate has been taking a three-way split: Anderson Silva, Georges St. Pierre, and Fedor Emelianenko. B.J. Penn’s suffocation at the hands of St. Pierre over a year ago has polluted his participation. And it’s a shame. Of the four men mentioned, it’s Penn who has done the most to convince me his abilities deserve discussion of transcending the sport.

What other 155-pound athlete could ever survive in a ring against the current 205-pound champion? (Penn did, against Lyoto Machida in 2005.) Who else could have moved up to 170 to obliterate Matt Hughes at a time when Hughes was driving a steamroller over contenders? (St. Pierre hasn’t budged from 170; Anderson Silva went to 205 for fights against Forrest Griffin and James Irvin.)

Penn takes chances. While they’re not always successful, he shouldn’t be penalized for leaving his ego near the apron.

If he beats Frankie Edgar Saturday, Penn tells MMAWeekly.com that he might consider another, proper run at the welterweight title. “I think a fighter has to stay true to himself and what his goals and accomplishments are, what really motivates him,” he said. “…I really wouldn’t mind being the welterweight champion again.”

Previously, Penn’s conditioning didn’t match his ambitions: he showed up underweight and overmatched for the Hughes and St. Pierre sequels. What he needs is quality weight, not the garbage pounds he piled on during a run in Japan. Mackie Shilstone, who stuffed Michael Spinks with 4,000 calories a day and successfully helped him challenge for Larry Holmes’ heavyweight title, met with Penn once; he’s now hooked up with notorious fitness guru Marv Marinovich, who has fueled Penn’s long-distance efforts at 155 over the past two years. (Marv and his brother Gary, Penn told ESPN the Magazine, “turned me back into a 22-year-old.”)

Even with a perfect program, Penn is unlikely to ever match St. Pierre’s sheer physicality in the cage. But that does not make him the inferior fighter. Performance is relative to environment. Penn finishes fights; St. Pierre does not. Penn moves up; St. Pierre remains stationary. Penn pursues the best; Silva says he can’t fight his friends. The best fighter in the world competes Saturday, and his name is B.J. Penn.