Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Stump Rules!

Default Penn considers moving back to 170

Each time B.J. Penn prepares to defend his Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweight belt, the question arises: with a win, will he return to the welterweight division where he once held the title?

Penn takes on Frankie Edgar in the co-main event of UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi on April 10, and if the Hawaiian comes away with the win, a move to the 170-pound division is something he’s considering.

“If everything goes well on April 10, I definitely would consider moving up to 170. Not that I’m – not that it’s 100-percent guaranteed,” Penn said recently.

“If I do make that move I’m going to move slow. I’m not going to try to rush anything,” he added. “Maybe I would think about it more as testing the waters. I’d talk to Dana and see if he would want me to vacate the belt, but maybe try do something like Anderson (Silva) is doing, test the waters, see how everything is going and see how everything plays out.”

Penn is the only one who knows whether or not he’s already made up his mind to vacate the lightweight division after UFC 112, but his statements seem to foreshadow a move up in weight class.

“I try to just be true to myself and what my own personal goals are. And if I feel in my life that I want to try to take a fight at 170 pounds, I’ve got to stay true to myself and to my motivation,” commented Penn.

“I think a fighter has to stay true to himself and what his goals and accomplishments are, what really motivates him,” added the 31-year-old athlete. “I’ve been the welterweight champion once and in a lot of ways I really wouldn’t mind being the welterweight champion again. And I think it’s just a fun thing to do.”

Penn defeated Matt Hughes at UFC 46, snapping Hughes’ 13-fight win streak to capture the welterweight title. He briefly left the UFC to compete internationally in several different weight classes including heavyweight. He’s 1-3 as a welterweight, losing twice to current titleholder Georges St-Pierre, and losing a rematch to Hughes. He does hold dominating wins over former welterweight contenders Sean Sherk and Diego Sanchez, but in lightweight fights.

Twice Penn has gotten immediate title shots in the welterweight division, at UFC 46 against Hughes and at UFC 94 versus St-Pierre. If he makes the transition following UFC 112, he knows it won’t be for the title bout.

“I had my chance to go straight for the championship and things didn’t work out my way. Of course, anybody would like a free shot for the title. But like I said, I want to take my time. I want to test the waters,” said the lightweight champion. “And it’s exactly what Anderson said, we just want to put on some other great fights.

“There’s some top contenders in the welterweight division, of course there is a champion, and there’s other people. There’s Matt Hughes. There’s a bunch of different fights out there,” added Penn. “That’s what this whole thing is about is about, putting on the biggest and the greatest fights in history.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...11143&zoneid=2

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 04-04-2010, 08:49 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Okay, but besides a fight with Matt, what else is he really going to go for at 170? I think a fight with Koscheck, Fitch, or Alves, are kind of "high-risk low-reward" for BJ in my opinion, and I don't see him being able to beat GSP, so what else is there?

He would be better off just sticking at 155 and continuing to clean house and further cementing his legacy. Although, there is potentially big-money in some super-fights for him at a higher weight, it just depends on how they wanna play it.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:52 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Okay, but besides a fight with Matt, what else is he really going to go for at 170? I think a fight with Koscheck, Fitch, or Alves, are kind of "high-risk low-reward" for BJ in my opinion, and I don't see him being able to beat GSP, so what else is there?

He would be better off just sticking at 155 and continuing to clean house and further cementing his legacy. Although, there is potentially big-money in some super-fights for him at a higher weight, it just depends on how they wanna play it.
IMO BJ is a true mixed martial artist and warrior,
he truly wants to challenge himself and fight tough fights.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:02 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
Here we go....

I was not questioning his "warrior-spirit"...

With that being said. He is not beating GSP in my opinion, and the interest for that fight isn't really there right now, so besides a fight with Matt, what else makes sense at 170? I actually think BJ would beat guys like Fitch, Kos, and possibly even Alves too. I just don't see what beating those guys does for him that staying at 155 and dominating doesn't do for him. On the other side, if he loses to one of those guys, then what? Go back to 155 and walk right back into a title shot? Go to a catchweight and have a super fight with Anderson Silva?
Old 04-04-2010, 09:56 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
a true warrior shouldn't have to rededicate himself ... a true warrior is always dedicated ...
Old 04-04-2010, 09:59 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
a true warrior shouldn't have to rededicate himself ... a true warrior is always dedicated ...
Old 04-04-2010, 10:02 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
that is a true warrrior ... LOL
Old 04-04-2010, 10:23 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
that is a true warrrior ... LOL
The "Ultimate" Warrior

UFC should change it's name to Ultimate Warrior Championship

Old 04-04-2010, 11:31 PM

I compare it to Anderson. There is nobody left for BJ or Anderson to beat. So why stay there? Why not try to challenge yourself? Yeah you could try to cement his legacy but look what is happening to Fedor? Everyone is upset he didn't come to the UFC and now he's fighting guys like Rogers. Well, if BJ moves up he will be challenging himself. And a win against Matt, Alves, or Koscheck propels his status in the WW division.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:40 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
I compare it to Anderson. There is nobody left for BJ or Anderson to beat. So why stay there? Why not try to challenge yourself? Yeah you could try to cement his legacy but look what is happening to Fedor? Everyone is upset he didn't come to the UFC and now he's fighting guys like Rogers. Well, if BJ moves up he will be challenging himself. And a win against Matt, Alves, or Koscheck propels his status in the WW division.
Who is gonna question Fedor in 20 years from now?

Good for Penn if he challenges himself, but besides making bank in a super-fight, what is the point? He has already staked his claim as a hall of famer.