Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Default UFN 21, my Bday present

Well my birthday was last week and for my present my bf got us tickets to UFN 21 last night in Charlotte at the Bojangles coliseum. I worked all morning but was able to get off at noon to go home and get ready. I had to get all dolled up, you know. I did not wear any Hoochie Mama clothing but did have on nice slacks, a cute blouse, and boots. I even had on jewelry, which for those of you who know me, know that is a HUGE accomplishment for me. I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl and I almost never wear any jewelry of any kind.

Anyway, so we took off for Charlotte at 1:30 and got there at 4. That gave us time to go find a place to eat before going in and paying an arm and a leg for a thing of nachos or hot dog. We found a Jersey Mikes and had subs. I had never been to one before but think Subway but better. This place actually slices the meat right before they put it on the sandwich. Yum!

We drove back to the venue and got to our seats. We were in the stadium seating but I like it better there after having a hard time seeing on the floor at an IFL event I had been to in Houston a couple of years ago. The place was very empty when the first fight started at 5 pm. Eventually all the rednecks in NC showed up and took their seats. (My family is a bunch of rednecks so I am allowed to say this....) We had one guy directly across the aisle from me who was particularly obnoxious. He kept yelling things like, "They're kissing, Ref. Make them stop kissing." anytime they'd clinch or go to the ground. He also kept yelling for the fighters to, "Punch him in the face!" I really had to exercise self control to not choke him out and give the rest of us some peace. Halfway through the fights the people around him told him to shut up and he got angry saying he paid for that seat and no one can tell him to shut up. He must have noticed that everyoen around him was much bigger than he was so he actually did shut up shortly after that.

The first two fights were great. I did get pictures and will post them tomorrow when I get some time. There were 3 boring fights on the prelims with one controversial stoppage by the ref. (I'm not digging up the guy's name since it really doesn't matter to me.) The main event fights were pretty exciting.

Michelle caused the lights to go off and the screens to die right before the Nelson fight. I blame her for the whole thing, including Roy's win. I really hate that guy. Of course all of the fans in the audience looked just like him and are huge Nascar fans (sorry to any Nascar fans here) so they loved him and cheered for him. We started the Gomi/KenFlo fight but by the end of the 2nd round we figured it was a safe bet that Kenny was getting the UD win and we could sneak out and beat traffic. We were right.

That's all folks. Pictures to come soon. It was a fun night and it was an experience my bf will never forget. He'd never been to a UFC event. Unfortunately he had to have his first one at th Bojangles coliseum. The name says it all.

Famous folks in attendance that I could see were: Dana, Rogan, etc. Also saw Dan Hardy there. Kelly Crigger who went with Matt to Walter Reed Army Hospital and who also writes for Fight Magazine was there as well. I think the Tapout guys were there but I wasn't close enough to them to tell for sure.

~Amy
Old 04-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Glad you had a good time Amy
Old 04-02-2010, 01:15 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Glad you had such a great time, Amy! Congrats!!!
Old 04-02-2010, 02:37 AM
Mac

Sounds like you had a great time Amy! Great Birthday Present.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:59 AM

That is so cool, I've never been to a live event!!

I'm also really glad the obnoxious guy finally shut up, sometimes I think people like that go to events (or a movie!) just to annoy everyone else. Super birthday present.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:17 AM
TENNESSEAN

Glad you had a good time and a good bday.
Oh and thanks for not writing anything about toilet stew
Old 04-02-2010, 03:53 AM
Stump Rules!

Did not mean to do that

Can't wait for the pics!

I was seriously looking for you on TV though.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 04-02-2010, 05:30 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Bojangels Arena was actually "The Arena" back in the day.. I grew up in Charlotte...

Saw KISS, Ozzy, BOC, Ruch.. Styx... was a great place... it's a bit of a worn out place... but was a great place..
Old 04-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
Bojangels Arena was actually "The Arena" back in the day.. I grew up in Charlotte...

Saw KISS, Ozzy, BOC, Ruch.. Styx... was a great place... it's a bit of a worn out place... but was a great place..

I saw you there. I think I have a picture of you down in the audience where you were sitting.

~Amy
Old 04-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
I saw you there. I think I have a picture of you down in the audience where you were sitting.

~Amy
Why didn't you say something??? That would have been fun.. get a picture together.. MHF rockin' da UFC!!