Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-30-2010, 08:11 PM
CAVEMAN

Default Renzo on Hughes and training with GSP

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/g...t-matt-hughes/

Quote:
Renzo Gracie, the great MMA fighter and coach, is a guest on my blog ahead of his UFC debut in Abu Dhabi on April 10. Gracie, from the legendary family which is synonymous with jiu-jitsu, trains fighters in the United States and is a veteran of the sport. He faces Matt Hughes, the two-time welterweight champion, in the first staging of a UFC event in the United Arab Emirates.

By Renzo Gracie

Iím preparing for my UFC fight at UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi on April 10. It will be the first UFC ever in the Middle East, the first UFC ever to take place outdoors and, for me, the first time I have ever fought in the UFC.

I have been a professional mixed martial artist since 1992, and my family helped create the very first UFC event in 1993, but I have never fought in the UFC myself. I came close several times in my career, but it never worked out. Now, aged 43, I will finally fight in the Octagon, against Matt Hughes, the two-time former champion.

Hughes beat my cousin, and the first ever UFC champion, Royce Gracie four years ago and this isnít a fight for revenge but to restore family pride.

Matt Hughes is a very strong fighter, he has great wrestling and takedowns. He is dangerous. My strength is Gracie jiu-jitsu, which was an art created by my family years ago in Brazil where the opponentís strength is used against him.

I have been at home in New York, training. I was training with current UFC welterweight champion George St-Pierre, who has fought Hughes three times and beat him twice. Georges defended his title on Saturday in Newark against Englandís Dan Hardy.

I was going to go to Abu Dhabi very early, but I stayed to help Georges prepare. He looked very good in training. This is the first time I have trained with him, his BJJ is very, very good and heís improved every day. He is amazing. I cannot believe how quickly this guy picks things up.

Hardy was always going to have a hard time. He had a puncherís chance, and if he didnít land quickly, the reality was he would be on his back and Georges would control him.

A puncherís chance is like a going into a bull-fight where you have to load one bullet into a big rifle and the bull has a head start. You can land your shot, but you have one chance and it isnít good odds.

Training with GSP is great for me, too. In reality, his takedowns are amazing. It is the timing, he can time them perfectly to get you off balance and he shoots in very quickly. This is great preparation for me for Hughes, who I very much want to beat.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

1 Gracie down, many more to go!
Old 03-30-2010, 10:53 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
1 Gracie down, many more to go!
Woot woot!!! Restore the family name.. hahaha!! WAR HUGHES!!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:19 PM
CAVEMAN

I see this fight ending just like the fight with Royce. It is going to be an old fashion beat down.

With that said, Renzo is a class act and in every interview I have read, he has shown nothing but respect for Matt! That makes him okay in my book!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:25 PM
TENNESSEAN

They don't know much about Matt Hughes the nine time ufc ww champion. For some reason I have a hard time believing this was a mistake
Old 03-31-2010, 02:39 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

I actually mett Reno tonight.... I worked security for him when he did a 2 hours meet and greet.

I was VERY impressed by the man.. we talked for a long while about BJJ and martial arts in general...

During the meet and greet he was warm to everyone..

One guy did say... "You are going to smash that has been next moth!!!"

Renzo said.... "Has been? He is 37 I am 42.... this is going to be a good fight"

I talked to him for about 20 minutes during.. and met up with him before.. to bring him to the location..

He was just a great guy...

I am still a huge Matt Hughes fan.. and I will give respect to anyone that fights... and I didn't want to like Renzo.. but damn.. he is likable... I still want to see Matt continue to remodel the House that Gracie built!!!

WARRRRRRR HUGHES!!!!!!

Last edited by Spiritwalker; 03-31-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:43 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

awesome pics Spirit
Old 03-31-2010, 02:51 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Thanks... Renzo was great. giving me some great pointers in my ground game...

He was very respectful to Matt

I will always be a Hughes fan first.. but I didn't want to like him.. but he was impressive.

Last edited by Spiritwalker; 03-31-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:13 AM
Silverback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN View Post
I see this fight ending just like the fight with Royce. It is going to be an old fashion beat down.

With that said, Renzo is a class act and in every interview I have read, he has shown nothing but respect for Matt! That makes him okay in my book!
Yes you are correct, he has been a class act, and he would be a dam fool not to respect Matt, so this will be a very good fight, I see it as one of the best battles of the year, But it is not meant to be for Renzo, mid way into round two, Matt will submit him.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:56 AM
KevinD

I think even at 43 Renzo is a better opponent than Royce was. Renzo has much better hands than Royce and is equally good on the ground. Should be a good fight. I am predicting Matt will earn his first KO from standing strikes. Hughes in the 2nd.