Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-29-2010, 09:58 PM

Default From The Llama's Grill: UFC 111

Howdy Pals,

I figured that if I get the opportunity to go to a UFC that the least I could do was pass along part of the experience to my forum brothers and sisters. Here we go!
Well our ol' pal Boomtown called me not long after he was in NYC visiting for his b-day weekend) and asked if I was coming to the UFC fights in Jersey. I believe the conversation over the phone was something like:

Me:(after seeing on caller ID it was Boomer) hey Boomer how;s it going?
Boomer: Hey Buddy, you still coming to UFC 11 in NJ?
Me: Well I didn't buy a ticket. Why, have you got an extra ticket?
Boomer: Well that's why I'm asking! you said you were coming with us.
Me: YIIPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEE

So I text him once a day for the next couple weeks telling him how freaking awesome he is and how excited I am. Ya see, I would have been pumped if I new I'd get to hang out with my pal , whether we were going to fights or not. Boomer is just THAT MUCH FUN to run around with.
Seriously, ask anyone else that has gotten a Boomer visit.

So fast forward a couple weeks and I get a text from Boomer
"Hey buddy, getting sent out of the country for work, send me your address so I can mail ya your ticket in case I don't make it back in time".So now I'm bummed. sure it will be cool to see all the fights, but honestly, I was really looking forward to hanging with my buddy. So it turns out that they pushed his trip back even further which eliminated any possibility that he'd get to come to NJ. I was bummed, but he insisted that I go and meet up with Dave Morris and his friend and have a good time. I could tell he was super bummed he was going to miss out and so I didn't want to bug him too much about missing the fights.

So The day of the fights comes along and I make arrangements to meet up with Dave Morris and his guest. Dave runs the big MMA gym in Charlottesville (where Boomer goes and MiktheHick also trains). He used to fight back in the Pre UFC days and knows a ton about the sport. He's got an impressive stable of fighters that I'm certain we'll be seeing in the near future in the big shows.

It takes me about an hour and a half to get to Newark by PATH train (which is pretty much a subway train that goes from NY to Newark NJ). I get a text from Dave that they've arrived and are at the arena. I finally get to Newark and find Dave outside of the Prudential Center and the three of us decide to go back and wait in the car until the doors open. You see it was freezing outside and there were about 16,000 people all huddled by the doors waiting for them to open. It was a nice chance to get to know the guy Dave brought.

*note: while we were waiting in the car we same an SUV pull up to the police roadblock in front of usa short Brazilian guy gets out and is getting his picture taken with the officers and everyone is smiling and laughing. Guess who it was? Matt's next victim Renzo!!!! He seems like a great guy.

Kendall was his name (unfortunately I missed his last name) and he is one of Dave's 140lb fighters and a huge Matt Hughes fan as well.. We talked about the fights and our predictions, and Kendall was super excited to be attending is first UFC. Little did I know that Kendall had a few "i Nevers" on his list.
Once we got into the Prudential Center I discoverd that Kendall had never ridden and escalator, or flew on an airplane! I gave him a hard time because he was helping Dave figure out some functions on his fancy phone. "You never ben on an escalator but you can figure out all that stuff on the phone" we all laughed.
I made a point to keep Bomer posted on how we were doing. We had awesome seats that were just the right distance from the action. No sooner did we sit down than we saw a couple sit down next to us and it turned out being a MMA promoter that Dave new and his girlfriend. They were super nice and it was fun having them to talk to as well.
The fights all continued and we just had a great time laughing and cheering and enjoying everyone's company. The main events went just about how I thought. Carwin impressed the heck out of me and you could hear those uppercuts from where we were sitting! It's actually nice to watch the fights without hearing the commentators. it's amazing how different the perspective is without that influence.
When we were leaving Dave and I decided to hit the restroom, and got in line for the stall toilets. we got up to the front of the line and the guy before Dave comes out with a look of horror in his eye and jsut shakes his head at us and says "don't".. We were like "don't what" and opened the door to reveal a horror show of toilet stew. we just turned and walked out.

After the fights I walked the guys back to their car and then headed to the train. I got home in pretty good time and now have another awesome memory thanks to my buddy Boomer. He's probably already squirming as he hates when people talk about what an awesome guy he is but it's so true. One of the most generous people you will ever meet.

[
Old 03-29-2010, 10:04 PM
rearnakedchoke

great story bro .... glad to hear you had a blast ....
Old 03-29-2010, 11:06 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

That's awesome Llama! Sounded like one heck of an adventure
Old 03-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

That's awesome. I am so glad you got to go! Thanks for the Llama tale so I can live vicariously through you.

~Amy
Old 03-30-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
That's awesome. I am so glad you got to go! Thanks for the Llama tale so I can live vicariously through you.

~Amy
I expect the same from anyone else who goes to a meet and greet or an event at any level!

[
Old 03-31-2010, 01:07 PM

From our seat directly behind 3 rabid GSP fans (you would have hated that Boomer)

[
Old 03-31-2010, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
I expect the same from anyone else who goes to a meet and greet or an event at any level!

~Amy
Old 03-31-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post

~Amy
that's right!

[
Old 03-31-2010, 04:31 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Dude, awesome story, man! Too bad you didn't get to hang out with Boomer (dude's a calls act!), but at least you got to watch Mir get pushed around again!!
Old 03-31-2010, 04:42 PM

Lucky! Sounds like you all had a great time, thanks for sharing!