Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I guess I was just referring to their lack of major talent in Pro-Boxing, lol

Opps!! my bad!
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
And I feel modern MMA is really to new to be considered a true culture, if that's how you were meaning to use the word. "study of culture".
.
study of athletes actually

Social Ethnographer (studies of Society)
Sports Ethnographer (study of Athletes)

Sorry if I confused you with a social sciences term, it wasnt deliberate, I forgt not everyone knows what I know

But to address your point. MMA is a development of a long standing, pre existing culture of sports if you look at it from that point of view i suppose...therefore it is VERY relevent to be considered in its own right as something worth researching in its own right, and also, how its an offshoot of pre existing sports etc.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
study of athletes actually

Social Ethnographer (studies of Society)
Sports Ethnographer (study of Athletes)

Sorry if I confused you with a social sciences term, it wasnt deliberate, I forgt not everyone knows what I know
And what do you know exactly??? You didn't confuse me.. you were wrong. Or at the very least trying to "blur the lines" to make yourself appear to be more than what you are.


Main Entry: eth·nog·ra·phy
Pronunciation: \eth-ˈnä-grə-fē\
Function: noun
Etymology: French ethnographie, from ethno- + -graphie -graphy
Date: 1834

: the study and systematic recording of human cultures; also : a descriptive work produced from such research

http://www.ethnographer.com/

http://roundtable.kein.org/files/roundtable/Foster.pdf

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ethnographer

Ethnography (Greek ἔθνος ethnos = folk/people and γράφειν graphein = writing) is a qualitative research method often used in the social sciences, particularly in anthropology and in sociology.[1] It is often employed for gathering empirical data on human societies/cultures. Data collection is often done through participant observation, interviews, questionnaires, etc. Ethnography aims to describe the nature of those who are studied (i.e. to describe a people, an ethnos) through writing.[2] In the biological sciences, this type of study might be called a "field study" or a "case report," both of which are used as common synonyms for "ethnography".[3]


So what exactly do you know now???????

MMA is a sport. To study the "culture" of MMA you would really need to get behind the people that have elavated it from a sport to a culture..


And since I have at least 10 years on you.... in a setting of you and I... You don't know everything I know. (remember what I said about making yourself more important than you are... That was a great example.

Quote:
But to address your point. MMA is a development of a long standing, pre existing culture of sports if you look at it from that point of view i suppose...therefore it is VERY relevent to be considered in its own right as something worth researching in its own right, and also, how its an offshoot of pre existing sports etc.

But again.. not really a culture from his point of view.. it's like a shaman saying that "shamen" are special.. but they are just "witch doctors to each other".. some better than others... but it's the people surrounding them .. that make them special.
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
And what do you know exactly??? You didn't confuse me.. you were wrong. Or at the very least trying to "blur the lines" to make yourself appear to be more than what you are.
Well I got a first in a Dissertation that was classed as "sports Ethnography" and lots of the people I researched who wrote about the study of athletes, just like Sam Sheridan does refer to themselves as "sports Ethnographers"

You can use a search engine all you want, but its given you an incredibly simplistic definition for the term. I can only tell you what I know from a year of academic study and good grades. Sorry if thats not good enough for you

You dont write books, but you know better then book writers on their subjects of expertize, you, presumably, dont have a university qualification in social sciences with a thesis into sports ethnography, but you know more then the academic. Your the no-it-all, not me.

You alway think the worst of me. I honnestly didnt say it in the manner you seem to think. You constantly missjudge me
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-29-2010, 07:44 PM
County Mike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
I forgt not everyone knows what I know
Dave, just a tip. Saying things like this makes you sound like a jerk and won't win you any friends. I know you're a decent fellow and probably didn't mean it that way, but you might want to be more careful about what you write.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Dave, just a tip. Saying things like this makes you sound like a jerk and won't win you any friends. I know you're a decent fellow and probably didn't mean it that way, but you might want to be more careful about what you write.
I'm really sorry because I so didnt mean it that way
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Well I got a first in a Dissertation that was classed as "sports Ethnography" and lots of the people I researched who wrote about the study of athletes, just like Sam Sheridan does refer to themselves as "sports Ethnographers"
Ethnography and Ethnographer. One is the study of a culture the other is the person that does it. In simple terms.

So you equate yourself with Sam Sheridan??



Quote:
You can use a search engine all you want, but its given you an incredibly simplistic definition for the term. I can only tell you what I know from a year of academic study and good grades. Sorry if thats not good enough for you

I used a search engine to confirm my memory of the use of the word. I do have a volcabulary. I also find it easier to cut-n-paste while I am at work than investing that much time.



Quote:
You dont write books,
I don't? I haven't written 3 short stories? I haven't been published in 2 perodicals? Interesting... I would have bet a LARGE amount of money that I had...



Quote:
but you know better then book writers on their subjects of expertize,
I never said I knew better.. And just because soomeone wrote a book doesn't mean that it's good accurate, worth reading or that you show bow down to the writer...ever read Mein Kampf


Quote:
you, presumably, dont have a university qualification in social sciences with a thesis into sports ethnography,

You know.. your correct on that one.. I do not.

Quote:
but you know more then the academic. Your the no-it-all, not me.
Maybe I didn't go to a 4 year school for social sciences.. but that doesn't mean much. I can think of 3 people right off the top of my head that influenced the entire world.. with little to no "real education".

Don't belive the piece of paper hanging on the wall.. belive the actions backing the person.



Quote:
You alway think the worst of me. I honnestly didnt say it in the manner you seem to think. You constantly missjudge me
Don't belive the piece of paper hanging on the wall.. belive the actions backing the person.
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 4,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
that's what is was called. "Chinese Hand" also...Gong-Fu and many other names.. In Okinawa, self defense pratice was orginally called Te pronounced "Ta".

I understand what the writer was trying to accomplish, but using Bruce Lee's movies to "showcase" Chinese martial arts, is speaking down to "those that study"
but to the general public if not for Bruce Lee the big exposion of martial arts in the states would not have been as sudden.
Yes, of course those that studied prior to his emergence, and learned from what servicemen brought back from the war and from ancestors would still have developed into some of the oldest and most respected schools in our country, but I think as an entertainment sport, Bruce Lee's movies made a big impact to the average folk.

**on a side note isn't Dana White a very close friend of Bruce lee's daughter?""
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
1)So you equate yourself with Sam Sheridan??

No I equate Sam Sheridan with the Ethnographers I used in my research. IMHO he is a Sports ethnographer, and I think the best one in terms of covering MMA




I don't? I haven't written 3 short stories? I haven't been published in 2 perodicals? Interesting... I would have bet a LARGE amount of money that I had...

Then you lied..because..and I quote;
Quote:
I have published no books and I know better now
so which is it. I dont lie to make myself look better then I am...do you?





I never said I knew better.. And just because soomeone wrote a book doesn't mean that it's good accurate, worth reading or that you show bow down to the writer...ever read Mein Kampf


Yes. Yes I have, or parts of it. Have you? And yes you did say you knew better, let me repeat the same quote
Quote:
i have published no books, and I know better now


.





Don't belive the piece of paper hanging on the wall.. belive the actions backing the person.
Its not hanging on my wall. I keep it in a special file given to me at School called "Record of Achievement" it was something all Schools implimented briefly...and then stopped doing. I guess it cost to much I dont know, but I still have mine. All my certificates and stuff are in their, and you know what, I am proud of them because I worked really hard to get them. You may not believe this, but when I was at Junior school they said that I would never be good enough to go to University, I was considered a slow developer and behind other people my age. Heck, they told me I was unlikely to get my GCSEs, then I was unlikely to get my A-Levels, then I was unlikely to get my Degree...and I did. I'm sorry if you didnt have the chance. But I dont see why I should be made to feel small because of it. It was a HUGE achievement for me to get their in the first place...my Family is full of high fliers...and I am the one whose still on the ground. I have a Sister four years Younger earning four times as much as me...because she got good grades in complex areas of study...so dont you tell me that my degrees and the likes arent worth anything...I am proud of what I achieved, considering the defecit from which I started...you can run me down all you like...I already told you that I didnt mean what I said to come across like you obviously interpreted it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-30-2010, 12:18 PM
bradwright
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
study of athletes actually

Social Ethnographer (studies of Society)
Sports Ethnographer (study of Athletes)

Sorry if I confused you with a social sciences term, it wasnt deliberate, I forgt not everyone knows what I know

But to address your point. MMA is a development of a long standing, pre existing culture of sports if you look at it from that point of view i suppose...therefore it is VERY relevent to be considered in its own right as something worth researching in its own right, and also, how its an offshoot of pre existing sports etc.
most everyone knows things that not everybody else knows.
that in part is what makes people interesting.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.