Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
Well Dave is an odd fellow, he picks a poster at random and then tries hard to debate the opposite of them. Oddly though he keeps picking you for some reason, and to be honest I don't know why.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:18 PM

Was the point of this thread that GSP was boring against hardy, that you weren't eempressed buy iz purformance? well, did anderson look good against Leites? How bout Cote? Is he better because GSP couldn't finish Hardy? Well lets look at that, hardy hasn't been finished in 5 years and that was by submission (i'm guessing he learned from this loss and beefed up his bjj) GSP fought aggressivly the entire fight against a guy who went into defense mode and merely tried to survive , even so, GSP put him in SEVERE danger multiple times and, as usual, was constantly looking to finish.
Anderson on the other hand, in his last title defense, stood inches away from leites for 5 rounds and stared at him. If finishes are the defining characteristic of a champion then I'd like to point out that Silva has defended his title twice in the last 2 years, once against Cote (in 2008) where he put on a lackluster performance which ended by Cote's knee spontaneously imploding (something which had nothing to do with Anderson's attacks) and then his second defense a year ago where he danced around and put on one of the most boring performances i've ever seen! He REFUSED to engage a terrified, stationary Thales and it was too sad to be funny. GSP has fought and defended his title 5 times in the past 2 years where he finished BJ penn, #2 p4p fighter in the world. He's looked dominant in all of his title defenses, outside of serra 1 ofcourse. I won't even get into caliber of opponents because that doesn't need to be argued.

I haven't read every post here but I've read enough to see how this is pretty much going so I'll say this, as a fighter I LOVE watching gsp fight and I actually learn from his performances. I wasn't always a huge fan of his, I mean I knew he was good and I liked him enough as a person, but it wasn't until recently when I began to train and compete, that I really started to enjoy his fights. I'm not saying you have to train and compete to appreciate how amazing his technique and timing really are but I guess it certainly helps because some of the comments I've read on the interwebs are just crazy, it's one thing to not like someone and root against them, it's something entirely different when you make stupid comments and twist facts. Comparing GSP's aggressive dominating fights to Andersons 'dancing-around-like-a-timid-squirrle-till-I-see-my-opening-to-hit-you-in-your-mouthhole' title fights isn't even fair from a technical standpoint, it sounds....well....kinda dumb. Sure, Anderson KO's people (sometimes) when it's at 205 and not a title defense, but all of GSP's fights are belt defenses and during these fights he always engages and always dominates and it's an inspiration for someone like me (a person who hopes to someday be anything near the level he's at) to watch and learn from. What do I learn from ANderson? How to be patient......really patient, oh yeah and how to showboat too, thats a fantastic champion quality

And PLEASE don't misunderstand, I really do like Anderson silva, I was most impressed with him in 2007 when he defended his belt 3 times in a row against Marquardt, Franklin, and then Henderson. He has outstanding striking ability, his accuracy and power are just insane

P.S. please spare me the gif of Serra landing a flying monkey cartwheel punch that slammed the back of GSP's head (and Matt Hughes's), it was a fluke and GSP has proven that

Old 03-29-2010, 10:24 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I cant believe im going to say this

But forget Anderson Silva, and Georges Saint Pierre, if you want a dominant champion today...focus on BJ Penn

Hell has just frozen over
Old 03-29-2010, 11:08 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykojojo View Post
Was the point of this thread that GSP was boring against hardy, that you weren't eempressed buy iz purformance? well, did anderson look good against Leites? How bout Cote? Is he better because GSP couldn't finish Hardy? Well lets look at that, hardy hasn't been finished in 5 years and that was by submission (i'm guessing he learned from this loss and beefed up his bjj) GSP fought aggressivly the entire fight against a guy who went into defense mode and merely tried to survive , even so, GSP put him in SEVERE danger multiple times and, as usual, was constantly looking to finish.
Anderson on the other hand, in his last title defense, stood inches away from leites for 5 rounds and stared at him. If finishes are the defining characteristic of a champion then I'd like to point out that Silva has defended his title twice in the last 2 years, once against Cote (in 2008) where he put on a lackluster performance which ended by Cote's knee spontaneously imploding (something which had nothing to do with Anderson's attacks) and then his second defense a year ago where he danced around and put on one of the most boring performances i've ever seen! He REFUSED to engage a terrified, stationary Thales and it was too sad to be funny. GSP has fought and defended his title 5 times in the past 2 years where he finished BJ penn, #2 p4p fighter in the world. He's looked dominant in all of his title defenses, outside of serra 1 ofcourse. I won't even get into caliber of opponents because that doesn't need to be argued.

I haven't read every post here but I've read enough to see how this is pretty much going so I'll say this, as a fighter I LOVE watching gsp fight and I actually learn from his performances. I wasn't always a huge fan of his, I mean I knew he was good and I liked him enough as a person, but it wasn't until recently when I began to train and compete, that I really started to enjoy his fights. I'm not saying you have to train and compete to appreciate how amazing his technique and timing really are but I guess it certainly helps because some of the comments I've read on the interwebs are just crazy, it's one thing to not like someone and root against them, it's something entirely different when you make stupid comments and twist facts. Comparing GSP's aggressive dominating fights to Andersons 'dancing-around-like-a-timid-squirrle-till-I-see-my-opening-to-hit-you-in-your-mouthhole' title fights isn't even fair from a technical standpoint, it sounds....well....kinda dumb. Sure, Anderson KO's people (sometimes) when it's at 205 and not a title defense, but all of GSP's fights are belt defenses and during these fights he always engages and always dominates and it's an inspiration for someone like me (a person who hopes to someday be anything near the level he's at) to watch and learn from. What do I learn from ANderson? How to be patient......really patient, oh yeah and how to showboat too, thats a fantastic champion quality

And PLEASE don't misunderstand, I really do like Anderson silva, I was most impressed with him in 2007 when he defended his belt 3 times in a row against Marquardt, Franklin, and then Henderson. He has outstanding striking ability, his accuracy and power are just insane

P.S. please spare me the gif of Serra landing a flying monkey cartwheel punch that slammed the back of GSP's head (and Matt Hughes's), it was a fluke and GSP has proven that
JOJO FTW!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 03:39 AM
que

Quote:
Was the point of this thread that GSP was boring against hardy, that you weren't eempressed buy iz purformance?
absolutely.

Quote:
well, did anderson look good against Leites? How bout Cote?
no.

Quote:
How bout Cote?
i thought so. although cote's knee blew out before the fight should have been over. who knows what might have happened if his knee did not blow out.

Quote:
Is he better because GSP couldn't finish Hardy?
no. he is better than GSP because anderson has had one boring fight, and GSP has been boring and predictable in every fight since the serra fight. with the exception for the fitch fight (although i do know many people who even consider that fight boring as well)

Quote:
as a fighter I LOVE watching gsp fight and I actually learn from his performances.
that's nice. some people do LOVE watching him fight these days. alot of people DON'T. to each his own. that's the wonderful thing about forums though, and being able to create discussions to express our opinions.

Quote:

i had no intention of posting that gif, no need to get your panties in a bunch.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:02 AM
Maldonado136

Quote:
Originally Posted by que View Post

no. he is better than GSP because anderson has had one boring fight, and GSP has been boring and predictable in every fight since the serra fight. with the exception for the fitch fight (although i do know many people who even consider that fight boring as well)
the people who thought the fitch fight was boring are idiots. the penn fight was a beatdown and the hughes and serra fights werent boring. gsp is the only fighter here that people feel compelled to make these generalizations on.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:04 AM
Maldonado136

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
JOJO FTW!!!
I agree. its sour grapes with the people who go on a mission to preach about why gsp's dominant performances make him a crappy fighter.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldonado136 View Post
I agree. its sour grapes with the people who go on a mission to preach about why gsp's dominant performances make him a crappy fighter.
who said GSP was a crappy fighter

you see this is what irks me most about this forum. Rarely do people READ what is put, instead they paraphrase it and turn it into something its not.

Noone said he was crappy...they DID say he was not as dominant as some because he doesnt finish fights as a champion, and they did say that his fights can be a bit boring to watch.

The only sour grapes I have is that noone bothers to READ what is put before they reply. Nice way to write off the subject without tackling the actual issues or alligations.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:12 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

From Sherdog
http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles...ain-Card-23525

Quote:
The major story coming out of UFC 111, held Saturday in Newark, N.J., is the double standard fans have been using for welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and former challenger Jon Fitch. Both men employed similar tactics in their respective fights, using a conservative, controlled and mistake-minimizing approach that sucks the energy, life and fight out of their opponents. Yet, while St. Pierre gets praised and applauded for flawless performances, Fitch gets booed out of the arena for using the same style.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:45 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:

I have missed you around here, Jojo. Always love your input. I like the way you think.