Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
If I had small children...say...9 or under, no way.There just isn't any need for a small child to see such violence because I'm too lazy and selfish to send them to Grandma's or leave them with a babysitter.MMA is brutal, we're just desensitized.
I can't argue with that especially about being desensitized. But, I'd rather my 9 year-old nephew watch MMA than the WWE. His friend, Landon loves to wrestle (WWE) and knows who John Cena is. Heck, I had to ask Landon what some of those hand signs meant. Anyway, I've since broadened their horizons by including MMA and Matt Hughes into their world.

My nephew and I were playing on the Wii the other day and one of the Wii characters names was "Matt". When he saw that he said, "Matt Hughes!" I think he's fully indoctrinated.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
i agree with this.
ditto.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:35 PM
DonnaMaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
If I had small children...say...9 or under, no way.There just isn't any need for a small child to see such violence because I'm too lazy and selfish to send them to Grandma's or leave them with a babysitter.MMA is brutal, we're just desensitized.
Well........the fights were always on well after the girls bedtimes....so it was never about being too lazy or selfish......

most often they would see one or two fights and then konk out on the sofa. lol! They couldn't hang that long.

I think there is a huge amount of desensitization going on....and my girls were kept from seeing, and still are kept from seeing a lot of stuff

they couldn't/ still can't see shooting violence/gang stuff/sexual stuff on TV or in the movies. That's a given.....

But I always thought that watching MMA was okay, because it was in an arena, it had rules.....we would talk about things. It was always amazing to see how the body worked when someone was knocked out. Or the way someone could keep going because of determination even when they were so tired that they looked like they could fall over. Getting out of holds was always exciting to see. I guess we always looked at the technical stuff and the blood was just part of the sport. We didn't watch TO SEE blood. It was just something that happened.

You are right, it IS brutal.......and I guess a parent also needs to decide if their kid can handle it. It depends also on the kind of kid that you have watching. My girls never internalized it. It was a sport. Period
Old 03-28-2010, 03:44 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
My boys aren't allowed to watch. They watch Grey's Anatomy and American Idol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21 View Post
how old are your boys?
19 and 20.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:45 AM
SupaDupaMod

jk. They are 5 and 6. (16 months apart. I always feel like I have to clarify that. lol)
Old 03-28-2010, 03:57 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
19 and 20.
I thought you were serious at first, I was gonna ask if they had ever had a girlfriend

Quote:
jk. They are 5 and 6. (16 months apart. I always feel like I have to clarify that. lol)
Thats acceptable to try to keep them away from it...What age will you start allowing them to watch?
Old 03-28-2010, 04:10 AM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21 View Post
I thought you were serious at first, I was gonna ask if they had ever had a girlfriend

Thats acceptable to try to keep them away from it...What age will you start allowing them to watch?
I have no idea really. I guess I will know when the time comes.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
19 and 20.
I read that and went

Old 03-28-2010, 04:53 AM
Stump Rules!

I said if I had small children. I don't so I don't have to worry about "relating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
If you think that is the case.. then would you continue to desensitize yourself?

If you are desensitized.. and your kids are not... how do you relate?

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 03-28-2010, 04:58 AM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
If you think that is the case.. then would you continue to desensitize yourself?

If you are desensitized.. and your kids are not... how do you relate?
Adults and children view almost everything differently so relating to them in this situation is no different then any other.
Closed Thread