Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-23-2010, 03:52 AM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldonado136 View Post
i dont mind if he stays in the ufc i just dont think he should be in anymore main events until he earns the spot.
Same, hes not a main event or co main event fighter. First fight of the nite if anything, possible undercard.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:43 AM
wavetar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I dont understand why people think that if someone is not top 10 in their weight class they should be cut. The UFC is putting on more cards now than they ever did and they need the talent in order to fill those cards.
Because for every fighter in the UFC, there's a thousand that would kill for a spot, some of whom could do just as well or better than Vera, if given the chance. Dana White is first off a businessman. If Vera can't compete at HW or LHW, and obviously cannot go to MW, Dana will cut him in favor of an exciting new prospect.
Vera is 3-5 in his last 8, with wins against Reese Andy, Mike Pratt & Krzysztof Soszynski. Anytime he steps up in competition level, he's lost.
I'm not trying to hate on the guy, but he's just never been the same since his year long contract dispute back in 2006/2007.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:17 PM
rearnakedchoke

i don't think he should be cut, and he won't .... he is still a draw ... stephan bonnar has a losing record in the ufc and is still fighting ... he is a known name and a reason that a lot of fans got interested in mma ... so as long as you can draw, you will have a place in the ufc ...
Old 03-23-2010, 09:32 PM
wavetar

Dana White has specifically said he won't cut Forrest or Stephan because of what they did for the UFC...only time will tell, but he didn't say the same about Vera.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:00 AM
Liddellfan

Anybody have a link to a photo of the damage after the fight?
Old 03-24-2010, 10:48 AM
wavetar

Here's a video blog on Brandon's Facebook...it doesn't look too bad 24hrs after the fight, but he does say he sounds 'slow' because of the meds he's on.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....=1190018645188

I didn't have to sign in to my Facebook account to view it, so hopefully everyone can see it.

I do hope he uses the (likely) long time off to come back better than ever.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:59 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Maybe he should go back to HW! Of course that would mean putting on some quality size but I don't think he's meant for 205. On a side note for some reason I never liked him but lately I'm starting to wonder if I was wrong!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetar View Post
I do hope he uses the (likely) long time off to come back better than ever.
me too

He doesnt sound to good though
Old 03-24-2010, 10:12 PM
wavetar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
Maybe he should go back to HW! Of course that would mean putting on some quality size but I don't think he's meant for 205.
He needs to put on some quality size just to compete at LHW, really. The cut is very easy for him because he only walks around at about 220. Guys like Forrest, Bonnar, Rampage & Ortiz walk around closer to 240-250. I'm sure Jones is up there too. Vera's build at 205 makes 6'7" Kendall Grove look positively huge at 185!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
On a side note for some reason I never liked him but lately I'm starting to wonder if I was wrong!
Well, a lot of people were turned off to him when he called out Chuck Liddell after 1 fight in the UFC, and predicted he'd be the first simultaneous HW & LHW champion. He's since seemed to have learned a lot of humility though...so it's ok to like him!