Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-20-2010, 05:01 PM
badnews

Default Dan Hardy vs GSP

I've not been on this forum for quite some time and as most of you guys are Stateside I was wondering what your take was on this fight?

The general feeling this side of the pond is that Dan is definitely an underdog but could potentially do a 'Matt Serra' on GSP, but also accept that GSP is a really talent. There is no doubt an enormous patriotic bias in most opinions, but honestly, bias aside how do you see this playing out?

I also posted way back in October about the rumour of Paul Daley vs Matt Hughes. Now you've seen something of him how do you see Daley vs Koscheck working out?

Personally I can see GSP taking it by sub via a smothering gameplan, though would love a Hardy win.

I think Daley will KO Kos, unless Kos applies a similar 'smothering' gameplan as the one I think GSP will use.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:37 PM
cds

This is how I see this one playing out.

GSP and Hardy will come out testing each other in the standup for 1 to 2 min of the first round....similar to what he did to Pen.... I can tell you right now Pen has much better stand up than Hardy (and hits harder). GSP will then get Hardy's timing and then take him down....and grind him out a bit to start working on Hardy's Gas tank. I see something similar for the second maybe a bit more clinch and ground work.......Then come the third round GSP will hit another gear and totally catch Hardy off guard, as I believe hardy will begin to slow, and GSP will really pull away. Now I think GSP will either really work on emptying Hardy's gas tank in the third and then in the 4th round he will hit overdrive and put him away....via strikes.

Hardy has yet to fight anyone on this level and he will realize by the end of the first round that he is in way over his head.....again this will hit him even harder in the third round....and then boom, the 4th he will be done like dinner.

I dont see this as being a quick fight because of how methodical I think GSP will be in terms of game plans. Before GSP opens up the big guns he will be dam sure that Hardy has very little snap left on his standup.

Time will tell.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:48 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds View Post

GSP and Hardy will come out testing each other in the standup for 1 to 2 min of the first round....similar to what he did to Pen.... I can tell you right now Pen has much better stand up than Hardy (and hits harder). GSP will then get Hardy's timing and then take him down....and grind him out a bit to start working on Hardy's Gas tank. I see something similar for the second maybe a bit more clinch and ground work.......Then come the third round GSP will hit another gear and totally catch Hardy off guard, as I believe hardy will begin to slow, and GSP will really pull away. Now I think GSP will either really work on emptying Hardy's gas tank in the third and then in the 4th round he will hit overdrive and put him away....via strikes.

Hardy has yet to fight anyone on this level and he will realize by the end of the first round that he is in way over his head.....again this will hit him even harder in the third round....and then boom, the 4th he will be done like dinner.

I dont see this as being a quick fight because of how methodical I think GSP will be in terms of game plans. Before GSP opens up the big guns he will be dam sure that Hardy has very little snap left on his standup.

Time will tell.
i like the way you think.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:19 PM
cds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
i like the way you think.
Just to clarify, my above prediction is only.....and..... only if GSP comes in totally and utterly mentally focused.....if he comes into this with any kind of lapse in mental focus/control I could very well see this ending in GSP getting caught in the stand up.

I truly believe GSP learned his lesson the hard way(best way to learn a lesson in life) and thus will always show up focused.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:09 AM
badnews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds View Post

Time will tell.
I certainly think you're right with regard to GSP's gameplan and I also agree he is one of the most methodical fighters in the world. However, I also feel that this in turn gives Hardy his best shot.

Hardy'll have a fair guess at GSP's tactics... question is will Dan keep his distance and try and frustrate and pick GSP off, or will Dan go bananas right from the start to try and rattle him early?

GSP always seems so composed, but I wonder how much is his (doubtless world class) ability and how much is respect given to him by opponents because of that ability? Dan is self confident enough to not let that bother him.

I think its a really interesting match up and I hope its a good fight. It could do wonders for UK MMA either way!
Old 03-21-2010, 12:43 AM
cds

I think there is a reason why fighters dont storm/go bananas with GSP......and that is he will take you down....period. There is no one in the business that does it better. If Hardy tries that, I feel it will end early with Hardy making to many mistakes in haste which would result in brutal....GnP or a submission.

I think Hardy is smarter than that, and his best chance is to be patient(and I agree with you....this is Hardy's the best logical/sane chance, if he can weather the takedowns and GnP, similar to Alves).....the best thing Hardy could do is....to have a gas tank that does not empty, and come the 4th round open up his striking.....that is a pretty big if, cause not that many guys in the MMA world have the kind of endurance that GSP has.

Last edited by cds; 03-21-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:51 AM
logrus

Gsp will take it to the ground as soon as possible and just grind it out for 5 rounds.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:53 AM
mscomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeval View Post
After watching UFC Primtime Part II all I can say is.... SHUT Up GSP. I'm tired of hearing the same old crap from this guy. I know he has great ability and skills but I hope that Dan Hardy puts a beating on this guy. If not then I pray to God that Matt makes another tiltle run and drives his head into the canvas.
angry much?.....

what does he say that is just old crap?

1) that he works hard ?

2) he has made the sacrifice to be where he is ?

3) he prepares well for fights ?

.... I hate to break it to you ....all fighters do the exact same thing in a UFC primtime show. The show starts off with a little backgroud info, then we see some training, then some weight lifting, and some grappling and striking, then some autograph sessions, and then each fighter sums up why they think they are better....so whats your beef?
Old 03-21-2010, 07:12 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeval View Post
After watching UFC Primtime Part II all I can say is.... SHUT Up GSP. I'm tired of hearing the same old crap from this guy. I know he has great ability and skills but I hope that Dan Hardy puts a beating on this guy. If not then I pray to God that Matt makes another tiltle run and drives his head into the canvas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscomc View Post
angry much?.....

Old 03-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

I Vote Dan Hardy