Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 03-19-2010, 11:40 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Smile Shutter Island (Spoilers***)

from a cinematic point of view, this motion picture is next to flawless, it has an epic setting, it has atmospheric camera work, it has some nice special effect. But you would expect pretty good Directing considering it was done by Martin Scorsese. You might like to know however that it is based on a book...and the plott is 100percent predictable on the whole.

It is obvious to most people that the lead role, rather then being some true US Marshall investigating a mental hospital, is infact an inmate living out a psychosis. Its not something the film tries to hide with its flashbacks. Leonardo DiCaprio however carries the lead supurbly, it is perhaps, on a dramatical acting level, his best work so far. He does have help from Ben Kingsley though in a close support role.

There is also an extremely poignent twist at the end, that if you arent paying attention to the script in the final scene, you will never understand how the story actually has a happy ending.

There isnt much else to say about it. I felt it was slightly longer, possibly then was called for, and the film score could have used the touch of composer Hans Zimmer...but other then that...if you dont mind the predictability...then its a fantastic film to watch.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:34 PM
billwilliams70

Many movies are based on books.....not really sure what that has to do with though buddy.

I thought it was a very well made and well acted movie. The score, even without Hans Zimmer, drew the viewer into each scene.

Later.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:49 AM
logrus

I liked it as a whole. It was a bit predictable at times but I didn't mind as I am not one to really sit at a movie or rent a movie and try to pick it apart or analyze it.

I have a friend who does that when we go to the movies and I now refuse to take her to anymore lol.

Its a rent in my book.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Miss Foxy

It was a very good movie!! I just love me some Leo though, but no on a serious note I loved the whole screenplay..
Old 03-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
It was a very good movie!! I just love me some Leo though, but no on a serious note I loved the whole screenplay..

He's growing up though now you know.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:02 AM
logrus

The first few minutes kinda throw you off. I think by the time he investigated the other inmates it was kinda obvious what was goin on.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

I saw the previews for this a couple of months ago and figured out then what the twist was. It was pretty obvious. I will probably see it when it's released to DVD though because I like dark movies like that.

~Amy