Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Maldonado136

Default GSP and Mousasi training together

GSP & MOUSASI: FAST FRIENDS WITH FUTURE PLANS
Friday, March 19, 2010 - by Damon Martin - MMAWeekly.com

The sport of mixed martial arts prides itself on great champions. From Royce Gracie to Anderson Silva, the athletes considered to be the very best are always held to a higher standard than any other fighters out there. Two of the very best met recently, trained together, and now regard each other as friends and future training partners.

Georges St-Pierre made the trip to Miami to work with Strikeforce champion Gegard Mousasi. They both found the work to be beneficial, and learned something along the way.

"He's very professional," Mousasi told MMAWeekly.com about his work with St-Pierre. "Made me look differently at how I'm training. I learned a lot and he's a nice guy. I've never heard anyone say that he's not a nice guy. He's a very phenomenal athlete. It was great for me to train with him."

Although their training time was limited, St-Pierre echoed similar compliments at Mousasi, who has made a meteoric rise up the ranks over the last few years, first competing at middleweight and then moving up to light heavyweight where he is yet to be defeated.

"He's amazing, he's a great fighter, he's an even greater human being than a fighter," said St-Pierre. "He's a great guy. We plan to train together."

That plan may include some travel for the pair of champions. St-Pierre's camp stretches everywhere from Colorado to New York and back to his home in Montreal. Mousasi handles his entire camp in Holland. The pair is sure to rack up frequent flyer miles.

In the long run, travel is nothing compared to winning and retaining championships.

"Maybe he will come to Holland to work on his stand-up, cause we have good K-1 stand-up fighters in Holland, and maybe I'd join him one time in his training camp when he has a fight so we can help each other," Mousasi said.

While the UFC champion is closing up camp this week to travel to New Jersey for his fight against Dan Hardy, Mousasi is in the middle of training for his title fight against Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal in April.

Neither has set a definite time when they will train together again, but both agree that it's going to happen.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...0973&zoneid=13