Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 03-18-2010, 01:08 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Default Pacquiao Concert is Cancelled

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...OXINGHeadlines

This is a bit surprising. I mean, 603 tickets is obviously not the best draw for a guy who is a worldwide superstar, but what did the promoter really expect? People like to see Manny fight, not sing. They should have been happy that they sold 600 tickets and gone on with the show, or used a different venue.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:30 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

His last concert sold out. The big problem with this one is people are trying to take advantage of his stardom. Last time, the tickets were around $40, this time, they were more like $100.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:18 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
His last concert sold out. The big problem with this one is people are trying to take advantage of his stardom. Last time, the tickets were around $40, this time, they were more like $100.
Okay, but where was that concert at, and where was this one? If this was an average venue that holds around 2 or 3 thousand people I don't see why anybody would pay that kind of money for a ticket. If it were a smaller and more intimate setting then they can justify the higher ticket prices. However, clearly that isn't the case, because 600 tickets was obviously not enough for the promoter to go forward with the show. However, this is not a case of just greedy promoters, Manny was supposed to be getting $100,000 for this concert. That's a bit ridiculous considering nobody really knows his music.

The promoter said he was going to lose about $50,000. If tickets were $100, and they sold 600, that is only $60,000. That means the promoter was only spending $10,000 on misc promoting when you subtract Manny's $100,000 fee.

I like Manny, he is a cool guy and an all time great in the Boxing ring, but I am personally not really on board with his music. As an artist, I think it's great for him to play and use his popularity from Boxing to help push his music career forward, but he may be setting the bar a little bit high for himself in the American market.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:39 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Okay, but where was that concert at, and where was this one? If this was an average venue that holds around 2 or 3 thousand people I don't see why anybody would pay that kind of money for a ticket. If it were a smaller and more intimate setting then they can justify the higher ticket prices. However, clearly that isn't the case, because 600 tickets was obviously not enough for the promoter to go forward with the show. However, this is not a case of just greedy promoters, Manny was supposed to be getting $100,000 for this concert. That's a bit ridiculous considering nobody really knows his music.

The promoter said he was going to lose about $50,000. If tickets were $100, and they sold 600, that is only $60,000. That means the promoter was only spending $10,000 on misc promoting when you subtract Manny's $100,000 fee.

I like Manny, he is a cool guy and an all time great in the Boxing ring, but I am personally not really on board with his music. As an artist, I think it's great for him to play and use his popularity from Boxing to help push his music career forward, but he may be setting the bar a little bit high for himself in the American market.
I'm not sure how many people were at his last concert, my guess is his last concert was enough of a hit (probably a smaller venue) that this promoter decided to open it up a bit in hopes of making some money. Pac's a platinum recording artist in the Philippines, but I don't think anybody here (including Filipinos) care to watch him in concert.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:46 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Yeah, just found out the concert was at Mandalay Bay $40 per ticket. I thought it was in Vegas:

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/entertain...-fight-concert

Actually, I found out that the promoter was charging between $25 and $150 for tickets. I think the biggest mistake must have been holding this event in Hawaii, or really, holding this event, lol

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...cquiao+concert
Old 03-18-2010, 07:16 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
I'm not sure how many people were at his last concert, my guess is his last concert was enough of a hit (probably a smaller venue) that this promoter decided to open it up a bit in hopes of making some money. Pac's a platinum recording artist in the Philippines, but I don't think anybody here (including Filipinos) care to watch him in concert.
I have heard his music, and I do think he is a talented guy, but personally it just wasn't really my thing. It's not meant to really be a knock on Manny, but we know that he's only a platinum recording artist because of his celebrity status as a fighter.

I am sure there are American fans who will buy his music and go to his concerts, but I think that he may be setting himself up for a letdown to some degree in this market. A lot of fighters and celebrities have tried in the past, and the failure to success ratio is not in Manny's favor.

Floyd has largely failed with his musical endeavors, as did Roy Jones, even though all three of the men do actually have some musical talent. People just don't take it seriously.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Max

I blame Mayweather for this.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:38 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I blame Mayweather for this.
It was in Hawaii, so it was clearly BJ Penn's fault.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:29 PM
rearnakedchoke

I know I would have been there .. but only if he was singing his new single "Puck Ployd"

Man, i should have been in Dallas selling shirts that said that ... i would have made a killing ...
Old 03-18-2010, 04:22 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
I know I would have been there .. but only if he was singing his new single "Puck Ployd"

Man, i should have been in Dallas selling shirts that said that ... i would have made a killing ...
lol, thats classic