Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 03-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Garandshooter

Default cholesteral

I may have to change the way I eat, due to my Cholesteral results. I'm 6'2" 185lbs and in OK shape, but my numbers were way higher then some of my over weight co-workers.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:11 AM
gymcoach97

I am under the belief that cholesterol levels are governed quite a bit by genetics. I had an instructor in college who was in good shape, but her cholesterol levels were always through the roof and it was a known family trait. What are the cholesterol levels of everyone else in your family?

Here is some interesting research with regards to dietary cholesterol.

Dietary Cholesterol & Atherosclerosis

Dietary Cholesterol & The Optimal Diet For Reducing The Risk To Athersclerosis
Old 03-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

It would be a good idea to change the way you eat now, before you have any kind of heart attack and have a harder time adjusting. Gymcoach is right also in that it can be simple genetics working against you but a change in diet is always a good idea if you are eating a ton of red meat and fats. If diet alone doesn't cut your numbers enough, there are meds that work well for genetic cholesterol problems. I'm 5'10" and weigh 128, very active, and while in nursing school my cholesterol was high because of the fast food diet I was pretty much forced into by the study schedule I kept. I was able to lower it significantly just with diet alone after nursing school and now have great numbers.

~Amy
Old 03-03-2010, 11:32 AM
County Mike

According to the commercials, you just have to eat more cheerios.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:38 PM
mscomc

For starters, was it just your cholesterol that was high? or did you also have high triglycerides?

Gymcoach is absolutely right, genetics can play a big role, especially if you have a family history of: early heart attacks, heart disease, atherosclerosis etc. That would be a place to start, and then discuss that with your doctor.

In terms of reducing your numbers. The best thing in my oppinion is diet and exercise. I myself have a big family history of high cholesterol and diabetes in my family, and I once had bad numbers as well. But through diet and exercise I changed that. In diet, you are going to want to reduce your fat content, specifically your saturated and trans-fat. This would include: Bacon, sausages, burgers, fries, lots of red meats, butters etc. Start eating healthier meats like: fish and chicken (but not the fried kind).

In terms of exercise, start running or biking or do something that will give you a good sweat for 30-40 min. If you are worried that your numbers are high, based on your hight and weight that you gave us: try losing 5-10 lbs. Even that small amount of weight can help WONDERS for your cholesterol numbers.

Finally, there are medications (like Lipitor) that can help with cholesterol problems. But beleive me, you do NOT want to go on medications. It should be one of your last resorts.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscomc View Post
For starters, was it just your cholesterol that was high? or did you also have high triglycerides?

Gymcoach is absolutely right, genetics can play a big role, especially if you have a family history of: early heart attacks, heart disease, atherosclerosis etc. That would be a place to start, and then discuss that with your doctor.

In terms of reducing your numbers. The best thing in my oppinion is diet and exercise. I myself have a big family history of high cholesterol and diabetes in my family, and I once had bad numbers as well. But through diet and exercise I changed that. In diet, you are going to want to reduce your fat content, specifically your saturated and trans-fat. This would include: Bacon, sausages, burgers, fries, lots of red meats, butters etc. Start eating healthier meats like: fish and chicken (but not the fried kind).

In terms of exercise, start running or biking or do something that will give you a good sweat for 30-40 min. If you are worried that your numbers are high, based on your hight and weight that you gave us: try losing 5-10 lbs. Even that small amount of weight can help WONDERS for your cholesterol numbers.

Finally, there are medications (like Lipitor) that can help with cholesterol problems. But beleive me, you do NOT want to go on medications. It should be one of your last resorts.
You make a good point when asking which specific numbers were high. There are different kinds of cholesterol in your body and you need to know the breakdown of your numbers specific to which type of cholesterol. There's triglycerides, HDL, and LDL. You want higher HDL numbers. So if they just said your cholesterol is high, get them to do the testing to find out more.

~Amy
Old 03-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Garandshooter

total cholesteral 232, Triglycerides 299, HLD 44. My usual diet consists mostley of red meat, some pork, pasta's and large volumes of cheese. I know I eat too many cheeseburgers with fries. I don't mind eating fish, but I'm never going to like chicken unless it's fried.
I asked my sister and she also has high numbers, My dad also. I have a reputation for the large amounts of food I eat during my work day, but I've always been thin, so I didn't worry about it. I also have a high activity work day with 13 hour days the norm.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:05 AM
rearnakedchoke

make sure your LDL is low and you'll be fine ... you can rasie your HDL by eating nuts, avacados and fish oils ... trigs should be low too, but if you are eating right and worrying about your LDL, than everything else should fall into place ... a high LDL is a recipe for disaster ... you should see a reduction in this number pretty quick with a good diet, but if you don't you probably have a genetic issue which can be combated with one of the statin drugs ... tell your doc to give you the one that targets the LDL more .. maybe atorvastatin .. or even a combo with niacin .. but your doc will be better to tell you based on your results
Old 03-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Garandshooter

Thanks for the info. I believe I will start by eating less red meat, replacing it with fish. I also am thinking of taking raw vegitables and unsalted nuts to work, instead of multiple bologna sanwitches. I'm also considering the fish oil pills. My results startled me a little.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:33 AM
rearnakedchoke

that is a great start .... omega fish pills will really do the trick ... up here in canada we measure in m/mol so i can't even tell how high your readings are ... i have seen people drop their rates and increase their HDL with just diet change and a little exercise ... someone told me krill oil pills are good too .... never tried them or researched them .... but i know you'll be fine with these changes ...