Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Lightbulb WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!

sooooo I went out and bought some Birds today...I bought two Zebra finches...which are tiddly birds...absolutely minute...and make silly noises like sirens....I put them in my new cage.

I also couldnt resist getting a second Budgie...because I was slightly worried that Jens was getting lonely...Budgies are flock birds and the Budgie Stud man said I shouldnt have a problem....

BUT

Jens has been alone in a cage for quite some time...I introduced the new bird and he made the mistake of flapping around horrendously, and he clean knocked Jens off his perch....

Jens didnt take kindly to that and started following him about and...well snapping his beak in the other ones face...

This presents me with certain...issues because I now have only two cages and potentially Wyman and Jens are not going to be able to live together...which means I might have to get a third cage because Budgies and Finches dont get along either....So long as they dont sit on the same perch they seem to be fine...and in all the exchanges...Jens is being the aggressor...they told me Budgies could live together....anyway...The earliest I can get a new cage is Monday...and I'm away in Lincoln for the whole day tommorow....

....so I'm gonna watch them like a hawk tonight and tomorrow...and if I'm still worried they might kill each other...I mean Jens hasnt hurt Wyman...yet but if I'm still worried about it...I'll have to split them up...i'd rather not coz it'll be...an unexpected extra expense...but I'm responsible for them now...so if Jens is gonna be a real dumbass about this new bird...I shall have to ensure his safety.

on a completely different subject....I have to name my Finches...difficult as they look identical
Old 03-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Garandshooter

I had a similar experience when I brought home a second blue heeler (you probably know the breed as Austalian cattle dogs) I would think the birds can learn to get along, but don't know. The closest thing I have to a pet bird is a stuffed pheasant. Can a makeshift cage be made from ready available materials? You could just hillbillie something until you could get a proper cage.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandshooter View Post
I had a similar experience when I brought home a second blue heeler (you probably know the breed as Austalian cattle dogs) I would think the birds can learn to get along, but don't know. The closest thing I have to a pet bird is a stuffed pheasant. Can a makeshift cage be made from ready available materials? You could just hillbillie something until you could get a proper cage.
I dont do hillbille

Mother has the answer...She told me to swap the cages...so Jens is taken into a cage that he doesnt perceive as his territory (even though Budgies are not supposed to be territorial) so as I swapped cages...the finches were a bugger to catch...Jens and Wyman both flew around the room...and of course Wyman decided he wanted to sit in Jens place...on the pelmet of my door...and Jens has allowed it...because he knows it doesnt belong to him...they are now sitting joined at the hip on my pelmet...so I think when they go into a new cage...Jens..he's still gonna come out dominant...but he wont snap at Wyman because he knows its NOT his cage...

Course now my finches are absolutely exhausted because I chased the blighters around that cage trying to force them back into their bird boxes so I could drop them in Jens old cage....they are looking at me like "WTF...we were settled and you do this again to us!!" they prune each other...blesssssss

Mother always knows best
Old 03-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

SUCCESS

Old 03-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

if anyone actually cares... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjuUhzWx884
Old 03-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Robertboxerboy

Name one Matt (for matt hughes) and the other Rob(For me)
Old 03-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertboxerboy View Post
Name one Matt (for matt hughes) and the other Rob(For me)
No that would be too confusing...I have called one Levon, after Levon Maynard...and one Pettis, after Anthony Pettis....the only difference is a single black line on their feathering...soooo if the molt...I'll NEVER know which one is which
Old 03-14-2010, 03:08 AM

Awww, I'm glad they're getting along! I know the feeling, Dave, after we had a few accidents on the carpet with the pup I thought the exact same thing! But I knew it just took patience and cleaning supplies.

Do you have any friends, online or real life , that also have birds? That would probably be a big help as you can get the benefits of their experiences as far as introducing and socializing them.

Anyway, hang in there!
Old 03-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Adia

David, are you becoming the male and ornithological version of a crazy cat lady???
Old 03-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adia View Post
David, are you becoming the male and ornithological version of a crazy cat lady???
I cant help myself