Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-16-2010, 02:08 PM
TDPARKASH

I think he did with Sherk a long time ago, but yeah he seems to do damage from the top position (but not finish as much as he capable of).

The last few fights for me go like this:

1. Silva- I mean i don't know how injured he was in the third round, but he def. won the first two rounds convincingly. I would like to see him go for the finish in maybe 4 or 5.........but i guess he only knows how much he was in pain.

2. Penn- We all know what happened.

3. Fitch- I think 90% would have quit after the first round (can't remember if Fitch ever has been stopped). I think he looked the best in this fight though. Stand-up, ground and pound.......really really good fight. But still a finish would have made it more fitting.

4. Hughes & Serra- finished both.

I think this is fight is going to tell a whole a lot about Hardy (and what's he made of) than GSP. Hardy did good against Swick, but if he can stand-up against GSP after being taken down...........I will have a lot more respect for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
No, I don't.
What fight has GSP finished in somebody's guard?

Hardy isn't a brown belt under Renzo(like GSP),
but he is working with a lot of good guys, and I am sure he working on his guard a LOT.

I agree GSP will get the TD,
But other than BJ calling it quits GSP isn't finishing lately.
(2 years or 4 fights ago) Even that was a pretty un-climactic knee to the body finish.
I just feel like GSP puts too much energy into smothering and controlling,
and not enough into finishing.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:20 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDPARKASH View Post
I think he did with Sherk a long time ago, but yeah he seems to do damage from the top position (but not finish as much as he capable of).

The last few fights for me go like this:

1. Silva- I mean i don't know how injured he was in the third round, but he def. won the first two rounds convincingly. I would like to see him go for the finish in maybe 4 or 5.........but i guess he only knows how much he was in pain.

2. Penn- We all know what happened.

3. Fitch- I think 90% would have quit after the first round (can't remember if Fitch ever has been stopped). I think he looked the best in this fight though. Stand-up, ground and pound.......really really good fight. But still a finish would have made it more fitting.

4. Hughes & Serra- finished both.

I think this is fight is going to tell a whole a lot about Hardy (and what's he made of) than GSP. Hardy did good against Swick, but if he can stand-up against GSP after being taken down...........I will have a lot more respect for him.
i guess you mean alves ... but who can get it right with all these thiago's
Old 03-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Max

Quote:
ok can I ask a question. I keep seeing people say GSP was injured in the 3rd round but I seem to remember GSP telling Jackson he was hurt in between the 4th and 5th rounds. Im not saying he was not injured in the 3rd i was just wondering were people heard it from.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
The phrase... "A snowball's chance..." comes to mind for some reason..
I'd give Hardy about a 5% - 10% chance of winning this. Slim to none.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:37 PM
TDPARKASH

not sure, maybe he felt it more then.......

anyhow, i think alves should have been a wrestler with his frame. he has decent ji-jitsu and good striking. Imagine if he had a wrestling background like Fitch, Koscheck..........

I don't think the Fitch fight will even be close (Alves easily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
ok can I ask a question. I keep seeing people say GSP was injured in the 3rd round but I seem to remember GSP telling Jackson he was hurt in between the 4th and 5th rounds. Im not saying he was not injured in the 3rd i was just wondering were people heard it from.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:43 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
correct ... he injured himself partway through the 4th, so he fought the fifth round injured ...
Old 03-16-2010, 09:26 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
Are you still bitter bout that fight....
YES
Old 03-16-2010, 09:40 PM
TDPARKASH

I think he said afterwards that it was in the third round as he was scrambling..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
correct ... he injured himself partway through the 4th, so he fought the fifth round injured ...
Old 03-16-2010, 09:56 PM
3dlee

I personally think GSP has had some snoozefests lately. Alves and Fitch particularly. Yes GSP has amazing wrestling and has proven this against the top of the line wrestlers in UFC (Matt, Fitch, Kos), but I really hope he wants to finish this fight. I would personally love to see a highlight real KO from Hardy to shake up the division. But if GSP wins, I really hope he finishes the fight and shows some killer instinct. I do love the ground game as much as the next guy, but just watching GSP do double leg, pass guard, drop a few elbows, repeat, has gotten a little old.

If I were Dan Hardy, I would've been training with Chuck Liddell and Eddie Bravo. If Chuck's style of sprawl and brawl didn't work, maybe quickly using some rubber guard trickiness from the ground would either keep Georges from striking from his guard or make him second guess the takedown completely in fear of getting subbed thus giving Dan some time to work his striking .

Match up Id like to see after typing this, if Maia doesnt capture the MW crown, I'd like to see him cut to ww. Not because I dont think he's a very capable mw, I just think Maia could sub GSP from his back.

In conclusion, I really would like to see the ww and mw divisions mixed up a little by knocking the kings from their thrones, even if just temporarily.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:42 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
I think he said afterwards that it was in the third round as he was scrambling..........
yeah, he said that, but he meant the 4th i believe .... but who knows ...