Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-15-2010, 04:43 PM
TDPARKASH

Default HARDY'S STRATEGY

We all know that his biggest weakness is prob. going to be in the Ji-Jitsu and wrestling department. I just think that he will have a hell of a time getting up, once he is taken down to the ground (which we all know will happen).

I mean it's almost mission impossible for him, without really the credentials to compete at that level in department. Anyhow, once he gets to the ground, i predict that Hardy's best chance is to either focus sharp elbows from the bottom (to try and cut GSP), or really try to surprise GSP with good fast sweeps. He has a puncher's chance, but i think he needs to be able to get up form takedown's first. Thoughts?
Old 03-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDPARKASH View Post
We all know that his biggest weakness is prob. going to be in the Ji-Jitsu and wrestling department. I just think that he will have a hell of a time getting up, once he is taken down to the ground (which we all know will happen).

I mean it's almost mission impossible for him, without really the credentials to compete at that level in department. Anyhow, once he gets to the ground, i predict that Hardy's best chance is to either focus sharp elbows from the bottom (to try and cut GSP), or really try to surprise GSP with good fast sweeps. He has a puncher's chance, but i think he needs to be able to get up form takedown's first. Thoughts?
I think his best option is the strategy Machida used vs Shogun. If he just runs the whole time and every now and then throws a punch he should be good. I mean if he runs the whole time and GSP has to follow him then Hardy is controlling the pace of the fight and has octagon control. I mean he may have to get lucky with which judges are there but if he get Peoples he can at least lose a split dec with this strategy.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:57 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I think his best option is the strategy Machida used vs Shogun. If he just runs the whole time and every now and then throws a punch he should be good. I mean if he runs the whole time and GSP has to follow him then Hardy is controlling the pace of the fight and has octagon control. I mean he may have to get lucky with which judges are there but if he get Peoples he can at least lose a split dec with this strategy.
Are you still bitter bout that fight....
Old 03-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
no i just think that is really the only chance Hardy has. There is no way he can really expect to stand and exchange with GSP because the min he sets his feet he might have the time to throw one punch before he gets taken down. From there I dont think his wrestling is good enough to get back up and I dont think he is strong enough to just power his way up. So unless he lands on that one punch and rocks GSP he will spend the rest of the round on his back. So aside from a one punch KO, his only real chance is to throw jabs and just keep backing up and hope that the judges decide to score the fight the same way they scored Machida vs Shogun
Old 03-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Jason 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
YES I am that was bull ****
Old 03-15-2010, 11:59 PM
atomdanger

GSP won't strike, and he won't take chances on the ground.
This is going to either be a KO win for Hardy if he can catch GSP,
or a UD win for GSP and a lot of yawns.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:02 AM
TDPARKASH

you don't think GSP can finish Hardy inside his guard? I mean if GSP doesn't try to pass, i still think he has a chance of finishing Hardy inside that position. I haven't seen Hardy's guard game yet, so i guess it's unknown.

In terms of the stick it and go strategy, i still think GSP will get a hold of him by instigating a clinch. Almost like he did against BJ in round one, where he was trying to wear out his shoulders and reduce his punching power. At that position, I think GSP will easily be able to take him down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
GSP won't strike, and he won't take chances on the ground.
This is going to either be a KO win for Hardy if he can catch GSP,
or a UD win for GSP and a lot of yawns.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:44 AM
rearnakedchoke

Hardy has to look for the KO, but he ain't gonna get it ... i think his best chance and anyone for that matter needs to catch GSP in a guillotine when he goes for the takedown ... easier said than done, but possible ... GSP via 2nd RD TKO
Old 03-16-2010, 02:11 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
you don't think GSP can finish Hardy inside his guard? I mean if GSP doesn't try to pass, i still think he has a chance of finishing Hardy inside that position. I haven't seen Hardy's guard game yet, so i guess it's unknown.

In terms of the stick it and go strategy, i still think GSP will get a hold of him by instigating a clinch. Almost like he did against BJ in round one, where he was trying to wear out his shoulders and reduce his punching power. At that position, I think GSP will easily be able to take him down.
No, I don't.
What fight has GSP finished in somebody's guard?

Hardy isn't a brown belt under Renzo(like GSP),
but he is working with a lot of good guys, and I am sure he working on his guard a LOT.

I agree GSP will get the TD,
But other than BJ calling it quits GSP isn't finishing lately.
(2 years or 4 fights ago) Even that was a pretty un-climactic knee to the body finish.
I just feel like GSP puts too much energy into smothering and controlling,
and not enough into finishing.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:06 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
He has a puncher's chance, but i think he needs to be able to get up form takedown's first. Thoughts?
The phrase... "A snowball's chance..." comes to mind for some reason..