Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-17-2010, 01:54 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
I do not understand this term...does this mean that if someone disagrees with you they are not "open-minded"?

It seems to me that if they do NOT agree with you, they HAD been "open" minded, but now that they have decided to disagree with you they are now "close-minded"?

Liberals...can you explain or defend this saying? Or should this saying be added to the list of sayings that need to die?

I calculated the first statement to be logically contingent, meaning the statement is neither true nor false under all instances.

Any philosophy or math majors here can help me verify this? It's been about a decade since I had logic and discrete mathematics.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:57 AM
mscomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
I calculated the first statement to be logically contingent, meaning the statement is neither true nor false under all instances.

Any philosophy or math majors here can help me verify this? It's been about a decade since I had logic and discrete mathematics.
No problem.

Take the differential equation, and integrate between +infinity and - infinity. Once you have come up with the integral, solve for x=3.

LOL, sorry.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:58 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscomc View Post
No problem.

Take the differential equation, and integrate between +infinity and - infinity. Once you have come up with the integral, solve for x=3.

LOL, sorry.
LOL, for a minute there, I thought you were, oh nevermind...
Old 03-17-2010, 02:44 AM
Hughes fanboy

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 03-17-2010, 04:31 PM
DonnaMaria

Well I guess it means different things to different people..........

To me, it always meant to try to be logical about things and not rush to make my mind up about something until i heard/understood everything about it........

but it never meant that i had to tolerate something new to me.....or that something was correct just because it was presented to me......I understand that is how some people use the term, but not how i use it....

when my daughter asked me if I would allow her to be a vegeterian I tried to be "open minded" about it .........

I researched it, made sure we could ensure that she got enough protein in her diet......and talked about all of this with her, talked about what she would need to do to make it work............and decided that since she felt so strongly about it, I would support her.

but it was definately something that i needed to be "open minded" about.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Max

TO me open minded means being able to look at someone opinion on something and even if you dont agree with it being able to understand why they came to that decision.

for example, I agree with the death penalty but I can understand that there are people out there who dont agree with it and I can understand why they dont agree with it.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:50 PM
DonnaMaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
TO me open minded means being able to look at someone opinion on something and even if you dont agree with it being able to understand why they came to that decision.

for example, I agree with the death penalty but I can understand that there are people out there who dont agree with it and I can understand why they dont agree with it.

yes.......very well said!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:40 AM
County Mike

Open-minded means not punching someone in the face when their opinion differs from mine.

They're still wrong, but at least I'm open-minded about it.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:54 PM
rearnakedchoke

Open minded means when you are hanging out and chatting up a female ... then you tell her to make out with her girlfriend and she does .... that is open minded ...
Old 03-18-2010, 03:27 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
Open minded means when you are hanging out and chatting up a female ... then you tell her to make out with her girlfriend and she does .... that is open minded ...
+1