Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-14-2010, 04:26 PM
David_Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
He is gonna make more money doing this than he will making ZERO money by not taking any fights at all. The "big" fights for him in boxing are not really there right now, and I don't think they are gonna be there anytime soon. James will overprice himself against top Boxers and he's also a big risk/low reward guy for these up and comers.

I get that, as does the UFC. They know Tony is off the major boxing radar right know, but they also know they can't pay him 500K+ plus cuts from PPVs. So, the best way to work that out is to do what they did, which is "We are going to promote the crap out of you Toney. You are going to be huge again. We can't pay you more then Randy or Chuck but what we can do is let you ride the hype train back into a few major boxing matches so you can make the cash you feel you are worth." It supports both Tony, and the UFC.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Crowbar

Hopefully he(Toney) makes enough money to pay for his hospital bills...
Old 03-14-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Brock is a bad-ass, but he's not super-human. Yes, that kind of money is worth a controlled ass whopping in my opinion. That kind of money pays a lot of bills and it's easy to turn a lot of money into a lot more money. That's why guys shoot for the paydays. No man can fight forever.
Ugh, I like my health
Old 03-15-2010, 12:09 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Banner View Post
I get that, as does the UFC. They know Tony is off the major boxing radar right know, but they also know they can't pay him 500K+ plus cuts from PPVs. So, the best way to work that out is to do what they did, which is "We are going to promote the crap out of you Toney. You are going to be huge again. We can't pay you more then Randy or Chuck but what we can do is let you ride the hype train back into a few major boxing matches so you can make the cash you feel you are worth." It supports both Tony, and the UFC.
How do you know they are not paying him six digits? I would be willing to bet that he will take in more than 80% of the fighters in the UFC in purse money. Although, it's hard to say for sure, since there is no accountability with UFC. They can say whatever they want, but their company is private and not a matter of public record.

Toney fighting in the UFC is not going to all of a sudden make these guys at HW and CW wanna change direction and fight him. He is high risk and low reward for any boxer at this point, and unless Klitschko comes around, I don't see any matches in Toney's future that will be big enough to not only feed his family, but feed James's ego.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:06 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Crow View Post
Hopefully he(Toney) makes enough money to pay for his hospital bills...
It's sad that some fighters actually have to worry about that.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:13 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Look at it from his side. He has a punchers chance but if he looses (Probably will) he will at least get a good pay check and looses to the champ not a no name.