Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-13-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default "I Want Brock Lesnar" - James Toney

No disrespect to what Toney has done in the boxing ring, but he is delusional if he really thinks this. I give that fight less than 1-minute for Brock to put him on his back and pummel him.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/James-....html?x=0&.v=1

Quote:
WHAT: Tonight on HDNet's "Inside MMA," one of UFC's newest fighters, former heavyweight boxing champion James "Lights Out" Toney, who scored a major victory in 2003 over Evander Holyfield, tells Kenny and Bas he wants to fight Brock Lesnar. "I want Brock Lesnar," says Toney. "I'm the heavyweight champion of the world vs. the UFC champion. That'd be a hell of a match ... I'll fight anybody you got."
Old 03-13-2010, 04:02 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

He's aiming awful high!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:25 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

He said he will fight anybody from the very beginning. He's not doing this to rack up some huge streak of wins as a MMA fighter. He wants to make money, and Brock is where the money is.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
He said he will fight anybody from the very beginning. He's not doing this to rack up some huge streak of wins as a MMA fighter. He wants to make money, and Brock is where the money is.
Ugh, ugly route to take to make money.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:44 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Ugh, ugly route to take to make money.
What do you expect though?

He can't get a decent fight in Boxing because Klitschko is not willing to fight him right now, and this is an avenue that he has an opportunity to make some money in. He is over 40 years old, so it's not like he's got all the time in the world to take a stab at a few more paydays.

I don't know why people somtimes act like money is a dirty word. Fighters like James Toney have earned the right to go after big payday fights. I'm not saying that he has earned the right to fight for the UFC Heavyweight Title, not by any means. However, the UFC is obviously willing to entertain the idea of letting him fight, and James is just trying to get the biggest name fight he can. I can understand some fans not being fond of the idea of Toney in the UFC, but it was the UFC who opened the door so you can't blame James for walking inside. Compared to some of the fighters we have seen compete, I think Toney has earned the right to give it a shot.

I agree that Lesnar would likely beat the tar out of him, but if the UFC made that match down the road it would certainly be a big event, and possibly one of the highest selling matches in UFC history.

With all of that being said, I don't think it will ever happen.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:43 AM
David_Banner

"I want Brock Lesnar to destroy me." - James Toney
Old 03-14-2010, 03:47 AM
David_Banner

Quote:

He can't get a decent fight in Boxing because Klitschko is not willing to fight him right now, and this is an avenue that he has an opportunity to make some money in. He is over 40 years old, so it's not like he's got all the time in the world to take a stab at a few more paydays.

I don't know why people somtimes act like money is a dirty word. Fighters like James Toney have earned the right to go after big payday fights. I'm not saying that he has earned the right to fight for the UFC Heavyweight Title, not by any means. However, the UFC is obviously willing to entertain the idea of letting him fight, and James is just trying to get the biggest name fight he can. I can understand some fans not being fond of the idea of Toney in the UFC, but it was the UFC who opened the door so you can't blame James for walking inside. Compared to some of the fighters we have seen compete, I think Toney has earned the right to give it a shot.

I agree that Lesnar would likely beat the tar out of him, but if the UFC made that match down the road it would certainly be a big event, and possibly one of the highest selling matches in UFC history.

He won't make the money he made in boxing which is why the UFC is going to allow him to box if big boxing fights come his way as a result of the attention he gets fighting for the UFC. Its slick of them.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:

LOL, let me translate my statement: "Why the **** would somebody want to fight a beast like Brock Lesnar? You know you're going to get mauled by a bear. Is money really worth that?" I'd stick with the lottery.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:44 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Banner View Post
He won't make the money he made in boxing which is why the UFC is going to allow him to box if big boxing fights come his way as a result of the attention he gets fighting for the UFC. Its slick of them.
He is gonna make more money doing this than he will making ZERO money by not taking any fights at all. The "big" fights for him in boxing are not really there right now, and I don't think they are gonna be there anytime soon. James will overprice himself against top Boxers and he's also a big risk/low reward guy for these up and comers.

Last edited by J.B.; 03-14-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:46 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
LOL, let me translate my statement: "Why the **** would somebody want to fight a beast like Brock Lesnar? You know you're going to get mauled by a bear. Is money really worth that?" I'd stick with the lottery.
Brock is a bad-ass, but he's not super-human. Yes, that kind of money is worth a controlled ass whopping in my opinion. That kind of money pays a lot of bills and it's easy to turn a lot of money into a lot more money. That's why guys shoot for the paydays. No man can fight forever.