Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 03-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
Well why don't you enlighten us?

ohh...go on then, since you twisted my arm

If everyone would be so good as to turn to their copies of "Little Evil, One Ultimate Fighter's Rise to The Top" then I shall explain all.

Jens Pulver does not choose to write about Mixed Martial Arts at all for the first Twelve Chapters of an Autobiography into his Career as Pioneer of the UFC Lightweight Division, in a Book that contains less then twenty Chapters. It is not until the Sixteenth Chapter that he begins to speak of his time under the tuteliage of Patrick Miletich. At this point, bear in mind he has already competed in the Ultimate Fight Championship

On page 157 we read about Jens Pulvers Classical Miletichian introduction to a gym full of people who were just becoming, or just about to become, extremely prolific in the sport. It was, as I suspect has happened with all, Not a very pretty or particularly flattering view of the gym.

They knock him about abit

He explains that unlike other fighters, he almost stayed in permanent residence, there is a room in MFS called "Lil Champs Corner" I cant help think it was quite possibly there that he would wait between practises. During down times he would live in seclusion. This warrented peoples attention. People quite sponaneously began to call him "little Evil" because he basically wouldnt give up and go away.

We know this was adopted as a nickname sometime before UFC Twenty Four...which was held on my Birthday (March Tenth in the millenial year) Ironically he was fighting someone known as "Velasquez"

How Ironic almost exactly ten years later her would retire after meeting a man by almost the same name "Velazquez"

To the Fans, "Lil Evil" became a persona, and one that could be clearly seen and identified along time before Jens got as far as MFS or UFC. As Mr McKinnon points out in a Later Biography. It is more the use of Jens as a Knock Out artist (again something that began before his stint in the UFC) that would qualify him with such a name...But "Never" is really not a Historical account of Pulvers Career (although I believe that it covers quite a wide area of time, well beyond Jens having held the UFC LWC)

There will shortly be another production to which we can look for some meaning, to possibly what happened to that persona/fighting style, when Jens Pulver returned to the UFC. That will be a documentary charting the advance towards his last fight.

There is certainly this VERY big issue of 2001-2006 which really seems to be lacking in what exactly occured with Jens, what he did, particularly in terms of his career. There is plenty of room for Jens to write a second Autobiography begining with his departure from the UFC, and Ending with...what will hopefully be, his instillation as colour commentary at WEC.

Beyond that there lies the possibility of a third book. The thing which really led to this new era of fans, was the disclousure that happened during TUF5. Before that the only people who cared about Jens were people who could remember his Title Reign...and that didnt include many of the fans we see now. TUF5 exposed Jens to a new set of fans...ones which were in the process of begining to want more then just a set of skills. I dont think his team winning the event, or his skill set, or his ability as a coach, or the result of Penn/Pulver 2 is responsible for why people decided to accept him.

I think his character did that. This followed to people discovering his first book, it let to a second book, and then it led to the growth of WEC, particularly his first fight with Urijah Faber....allowing him a string of losses which would have put a bullet through anyone elses head...Jens Pulver holds in his hand the power of the Mob, the power of public opinion...where its divided that people want to see him compete again (loads of people keep saying he should have some time off and then return) they certainly want to see him again...WEC and the UFC are aware of this, they really need to put him in the commentary box as quickly as possible, because he stands to make them and that promotion as popular as Bruce Buffer and Joe Rogan and John McCarthy have made the UFC.

What is a UFC without Buffer?

Give it a year...and you'll find yourself saying the same thing about Jens Pulver in WEC

Here ends the first lesson
Old 03-12-2010, 07:39 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Close enough.

Short version for Michelle.

Quote:
You have a tattoo of your nickname, “Lil evil”. How did you end up with that name?
One day I was at training camp, being spiteful and complaining when someone said, “Oooh weee, ain’t you a lil evil bastard this morning!" And I was like, "Wait, I like that! I like that better than 'The Pulverizer'." So we made a deal: if I could knock out the opponent in my next fight I'd have a new nickname. So I knocked him out, and it went from there.
http://www.prickmag.net/feature.php?name=jenspulver
Old 03-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70 View Post
1) It doesn't matter how he got his nickname. I'm not concerned with that.....really. Here's what I found out though: "Jens Pulver once wrote an autobiography detailing the daily hell that he had to live through as a child with an abusive father. Jens Pulver got his nickname, "Little Evil" from the book." But, that doesn't really explain much.

I had an abusive father, he drank and threatened to kill my whole family on one particular night because we left a window open and one of our cats got out....but I didn't give myself a moniker that evokes thoughts of the devil.

2) I said it to get your goat buddy.....everyone here likes certain fighters and I don't think it's fair to consistently bash certain fighters.......everyone's got a story. Everyone's got a reason for the things that they do, the way that they act. Everything from Jens' nickname to the way BJ Penn licks the blood of his opponents after a victory.

I liked Pulver as a fighter, I wish he had more success as of late, but it seems that he's not on top of his game any longer.....he's had one win since his return to the UFC in '06 and that win wasn't even in the UFC because he wasn't there long. One of those losses came against the blood licking Penn......I do think that Pulver should commentate, he does very well at it.

Later.
1) not exactly, more like, that book details how he was given his nickname. It was NOT of his own making. It also has ZERO to do with his abusive Father...thats a big and faulty assumption you've made.

2) One cant help what someone calls them. But one can help acting on some crazed vampirism. If you want to discuss the heratage of the Hawaiian Island and how that relates to Penn we can. I know a lot about polynesia (granted most of it is Samoan and not Hawaiian...but they arent going to differ that much in terms of the rituals of scalping or whatever it is you think Penn is exhibiting) Your not comparing the same things...nice way to try and degrade Jens because I flattened Penns attempt at doing nothing but teaching school children a skill and mislabling that as "Champion"
Old 03-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Close enough.

and I did most of mine from Memory...except page numbers...I had to look that up.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:15 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
1) not exactly, more like, that book details how he was given his nickname. It was NOT of his own making. It also has ZERO to do with his abusive Father...thats a big and faulty assumption you've made.

2) One cant help what someone calls them. But one can help acting on some crazed vampirism. If you want to discuss the heratage of the Hawaiian Island and how that relates to Penn we can. I know a lot about polynesia (granted most of it is Samoan and not Hawaiian...but they arent going to differ that much in terms of the rituals of scalping or whatever it is you think Penn is exhibiting) Your not comparing the same things...nice way to try and degrade Jens because I flattened Penns attempt at doing nothing but teaching school children a skill and mislabling that as "Champion"
I take credit for the faulty assumption....we all know what assuming does to people and apparantly, it's completely true.

I was eggin' you on bud....you didn't flatten Penns attempt because he still did it. He'll continue doing so with or without you.

Penn is a champion in my book because he took time out of his schedule to visit US and UK Troops in Afghanistan (along with Bisping, Condit, and Faber).....regardless of his antics in the octagon.

Later.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70 View Post
IPenn is a champion in my book because he took time out of his schedule to visit US and UK Troops in Afghanistan (along with Bisping, Condit, and Faber).....regardless of his antics in the octagon.
Being a champion is more about who you are then what you do. Sorry that my opinion.

I will say he's closer then he was...but he has a bit to go yet in my book.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:03 AM
Stump Rules!

Thank you!
Quote:
Close enough.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 03-13-2010, 03:04 AM
atomdanger

I like Jens a LOT, I do, I like watching him fight, I like the guys personality.
I have really grown to like him and be a fan.....

that being said.. he hasn't won a fight in 3 years,
5 losses in a row, only 3 wins in his last 10..... I mean...
At some point you just don't have it anymore.
I am excited with his ideas about ameture MMA and I would love to see him commentating.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:05 AM
Hughes fanboy

Yea, bring Jens on as commentator, he's good.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 03-13-2010, 03:06 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
I like Jens a LOT, I do, I like watching him fight, I like the guys personality.
I have really grown to like him and be a fan.....

that being said.. he hasn't won a fight in 3 years,
5 losses in a row, only 3 wins in his last 10..... I mean...
At some point you just don't have it anymore.
I am excited with his ideas about ameture MMA and I would love to see him commentating.
Agreed.

It's probably time to hang em up.