Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 01-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Exclamation Closure of Guantanamo

It has to be said Bush had already begun to proccess prisoners and indeed return several home. I think this plan is adequet, I love the way he's put a deadline on it. THATS interesting

Barack Obama has ordered that the controversial Guantanamo prison centre be closed within one year.

The US president has also put a halt to harsh interrogation of terrorism suspects at the Cuban base.

The camp, opened under the Bush administration and where 250 inmates have spent years without trial, is widely felt to have damaged America's moral standing in the world.

The executive order to shut the prison, which was established after the September 11, 2001, attacks amid Mr Bush's 'war on terror', fulfils a promise Mr Obama made during his campaign.

At a signing ceremony in the Oval Office, he said: 'The message that we are sending around the world is that the United States intends to prosecute the ongoing struggle against violence and terrorism and we are going to do so vigilantly.

'We are going to do so effectively and we are going to do so in a manner that is consistent with our values and our ideals,' he said.

The US wants to try about 80 of the prisoners on terrorism charges. It has cleared 50 other detainees for release but cannot return them to their home countries because of the risk they could be tortured or persecuted there.

Last month, Portugal's foreign minister urged other Europeans to take in Guantanamo prisoners, saying such a move could make it easier for Mr Obama to close the prison. Switzerland and Ireland have said they are open to taking in prisoners.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Administrator

I think this is a HUGE mistake.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:15 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
I really don't think it is a bad idea .. what is there about 5-600 prisoners? are keeping them in gitmo really going to make a difference? send them to switzerland and get it over with .. use the resources for something better ... most of these guys will probably never go back as soldiers and the ones that are stupid enough to will either be killed in battle and probably won't have any impact on strikes against the west ... but you may be right ... imagine the fall out that would happen if another attack on US soil occurs and it turns out that the mastermind was a released gitmo prisoner ... i don't think it would happen, but you never know ... i just think the US should not bother with these pawns and worry about the masterminds ..
Old 01-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
I really don't think it is a bad idea .. what is there about 5-600 prisoners? are keeping them in gitmo really going to make a difference? send them to switzerland and get it over with .. use the resources for something better ... most of these guys will probably never go back as soldiers and the ones that are stupid enough to will either be killed in battle and probably won't have any impact on strikes against the west ... but you may be right ... imagine the fall out that would happen if another attack on US soil occurs and it turns out that the mastermind was a released gitmo prisoner ... i don't think it would happen, but you never know ... i just think the US should not bother with these pawns and worry about the masterminds ..
it says there are only 250 of them.

The point is, you cant detain someone without a free trial. Especially in America where you are innocent until proven guilty...thats half the reason why Guantanamo isnt actually in the United States but on Cuba.

Bush had already pledged to close it, and had already set up trials. However, I dont think the United States needs to bear any responsibliities for what happens to them if they go home. Thats surely not Americas concern is it, nor fault if something happens to them back home. Neither should they be throwing inmates at Europe.

IF they have wrongly imprisoned someone for years and made it impossible for them to go home, they oughta be brought into the United States...after all, if innocent, its the US Governments fault and not theres.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
100% agreement!!!
Old 01-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker
100% agreement!!!
So whats your plan of action? Keep them all without Trial? Thats not very American...I suppose you could quickly set up a Trial and inprison them all that way, but thats not in the interests of Freedom.

Did you not know Bush was trying to shut it down aswell?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:33 PM
mikthehick

My dad just emailed me saying a few are probably going to Hawaii (no idea why there), but hell at this rate, anything is possible....

edit: my dad just said he was kidding cuz that is where Mr. O. is from. I'm mad at my dad right now....

Last edited by mikthehick; 01-22-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikthehick
My dad just emailed me saying a few are probably going to Hawaii (no idea why there), but hell at this rate, anything is possible....
I thought this was gonna take a year...I didnt think they were just shutting the doors and letting everyone go. I mean there surely does have to at least BE a trial for each!
Old 01-23-2009, 04:21 AM
Moose

This sends a clear message to the rest of the world, and to our own citizenry. It must happen.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:47 AM
kyle

This is a big mistake and i really dont care how or what kind of interrogation tactics we use to get information from these SOB's....In America you are innocent until proven guilty but 1st their not Americans 2nd their not held in America 3rd they don't go by the>>>>>>Geneva convention <<<<<< so any BS you give me about them being held by Americans and so on and so on is out the door. These people are there for a reason.

They should not close the prison i don't care if there's only a 100 prisoners in there. We need to have a place to keep them locked up. I really can care less if they ever get a trial they can rot behind bars for all i care When that place close's they will transfer some terrorist to other prisons but they will let some go. Sorry if I seem a little disgruntled today but this is a touchy subject for me as you all know.