Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
I just lost a lot of respect for you with that decision...
why? Like I said, it is all based on Toney learning some from of takedown defense. If he cant stop a takedown Randy is gonna crush him, on the other hand, if Toney learns takedown defense he is gonna be a hard fight for anyone. Add in the fact that I question how strong Randy's chin is and I can see Toney getting a KO win.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:23 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
what's sad is that if toney KO's him, he won't get credit .. he beat an old man who just got caught .... if he gets taken down and pummelled, he should have never been there in the first place ... i hate blaming the fight on someone just getting caught ... i am a GSP fan, but when people say serra was lucky in landing the punch that put gsp on queer street and finished him, i find that ridiculous ..
You are right about it being a lose/lose situation, but don't feel bad for James because he is only doing this to cash in. If he was serious about getting into MMA, full time, he would have started training two years ago when the idea of him fighting Randy was first brought up.

I bet if the phone rang from Klitschko's people today, James would be trying to wiggle out of this.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:25 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
why? Like I said, it is all based on Toney learning some from of takedown defense. If he cant stop a takedown Randy is gonna crush him, on the other hand, if Toney learns takedown defense he is gonna be a hard fight for anyone. Add in the fact that I question how strong Randy's chin is and I can see Toney getting a KO win.
I'm gonna give an opinion that won't sit well with a lot of people (shocker, I know)

Randy is overrated by a lot of fans.

Don't get me wrong, he is a legend of the UFC, and a very intelligent and tough fighter, but I just think some fans embellish their opinions a bit to help fulfill that "Captain America" mantra.

Last edited by J.B.; 03-09-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Blade

I wanna see Toney fight Kimbo so that we can get to see a decent punch-up on the feet. If I wanna see that ancient barnacle Couture cling to or lay all over someone for 15 mins I'll climb a tree in his backyard and peep through the bedroom window (that's a joke btw).
Old 03-09-2010, 10:56 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
ancient barnacle

Old 03-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I'm gonna give an opinion that won't sit well with a lot of people (shocker, I know)

Randy is overrated by a lot of fans.

Don't get me wrong, he is a legend of the UFC, and a very intelligent and tough fighter, but I just think some fans embellish their opinions a bit to help fulfill that "Captain America" mantra.
Finally someone agrees with me how overrated he is!! Yes!!
Old 03-09-2010, 11:20 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Finally someone agrees with me how overrated he is!! Yes!!
I think the thing that bothers me the most is his win percentage in relativity to how much praise he gets. I don't take anything away from Randy, and I do definitely consider him a Hall of Famer, I just also think a lot of people put him above a lot of fighters that have accomplished more than he has.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:53 AM
David_Banner

Its like this, Tony is a goofball. He literally believes his boxing skillset is going to lay waste to anybody the UFC puts in front of him. He basically, imo, spits in the face of everything the UFC and others have worked to create. But guess what, the jokes on Tony. If the UFC gives him a fight with Randy, that means one thing. The UFC wants to make a example of Tony and I AM ALL ABOUT IT!. Dana/UFC, please make this fight happen. I want nothing more then to see this arrogant boxer that "can't be bothered" with learning the fundamentals of MMA because he thinks its all a joke, get destroyed.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:08 AM
sender

... I kinda wana see this fight haha
Old 03-10-2010, 01:39 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Banner View Post
Its like this, Tony is a goofball. He literally believes his boxing skillset is going to lay waste to anybody the UFC puts in front of him. He basically, imo, spits in the face of everything the UFC and others have worked to create. But guess what, the jokes on Tony. If the UFC gives him a fight with Randy, that means one thing. The UFC wants to make a example of Tony and I AM ALL ABOUT IT!. Dana/UFC, please make this fight happen. I want nothing more then to see this arrogant boxer that "can't be bothered" with learning the fundamentals of MMA because he thinks its all a joke, get destroyed.
You are projecting your opinions into Toney's mouth. Where did Toney say he "can't be bothered" with learning the fundamentals of MMA?

Of course he is gonna say he will KO anybody. That's James Toney, and thats how you hype a fight. Don't get so offended and think he think that anybody is spitting in the face of MMA or the UFC, this is about money and giving fans an interesting and exciting fight. James Toney is a fighter, and as a boxer he is not getting any of the fights he wants at this stage of his career. You can't fault the man for wanting to fight, be it in a ring or a cage.

No matter if Toney succeeds or fails in the UFC, no example will be made. This is all basically just for s**ts and giggles and has absolutely zero impact on the debate about Boxing vs MMA and will hold no bearing over any other future crossover fighters.