Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-08-2010, 10:59 PM
atomdanger

Default Tony vs Couture.. (WTF)

Quote:
UFC legend, Randy “The Natural” Couture has EXCLUSIVELY revealed to (spam) Radio while at the Arnold Exhibition in Columbus, Ohio that he thinks his next fight inside the octagon will come against heavyweight champion, James “Light’s Out” Toney.

Couture revealed to Chris Greenman that although nothing is currently set in stone and bout agreements have not been issued yet, both the UFC and Dana White himself are keen on making the fight happen by either June or July.

Earlier in the week Couture publically called out Toney via his Twitter page, saying:

“I hope I’m the first guy they call to fight tony !

Toney has since declared himself interested in a fight against “The Natural” although the name of former street brawler, Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson seems to be heading the list. Stay tuned to (spam) for more on this one as we get it.

By Michael Pepper. (Follow me on Twitter)
Saw this on a few other forums....

How on earth can they deny Sims vs Silvia but somebody is going to sanction Couture vs a guy with ZERO mma experience?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Country Breakfast

The only shot Toney has, is to land a good shot on Randy before he can get in the clinch.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:34 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
Saw this on a few other forums....

How on earth can they deny Sims vs Silvia but somebody is going to sanction Couture vs a guy with ZERO mma experience?
First off, that was one commission that denied Sims vs Sylvia, and it was a dumb decision.

Toney may not have any MMA experience, but he does have more experience fighting on a big stage and under pressure than arguably anybody in the UFC. That being said, I still don't think Toney's first fight should be against a marquee name like Couture. They should, and probably will, at least attempt to make it seem as if Toney is trying to prove himself before he gets a mega fight with a UFC legend. I guess we'll see.

Last edited by J.B.; 03-09-2010 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:00 AM

Toney's hands are fast and he hits like a truck. That being said Iwould never put a guy with no ground experience against Randy. that's like putting a crippled hamster in with a python.

[
Old 03-09-2010, 02:30 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
Toney's hands are fast and he hits like a truck. That being said Iwould never put a guy with no ground experience against Randy. that's like putting a crippled hamster in with a python.
You just got Chuck & Lil' D's attention!!
Old 03-09-2010, 02:49 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
I agree with you, it's really not fair, but I don't think that means they won't do it. It's not like Toney will ever be anywhere near Randy in the ground game, but if Toney were to beat a guy like Kimbo I bet they would give some strong consideration to making that match. Heck, they might even do it anyway.

Toney is a dog, I was never a big fan of his but I got a ton of respect for him as a fighter, and he is a tough guy. Ya never know, he could surprise us all and actually learn a thing or two before he gets in there. Obviously the ground will be a weakpoint for him, but I don't think guys will have as easy of a time in the clinch against Toney as some may think. Sure, he's not used to defending knees to the face, but it's not like he's never been there before and he's not just gonna stand there. If somebody gets close enough to wrap their hands around his head, they are close enough to catch the "4oz-glove express" on a one way trip to dreamland.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:21 AM
Max

I'm gonna call this one right now, my pick is conditional on Toney learning some from of takedown defense, Toney by the most brutal KO in the history of MMA.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:00 PM
rearnakedchoke

what's sad is that if toney KO's him, he won't get credit .. he beat an old man who just got caught .... if he gets taken down and pummelled, he should have never been there in the first place ... i hate blaming the fight on someone just getting caught ... i am a GSP fan, but when people say serra was lucky in landing the punch that put gsp on queer street and finished him, i find that ridiculous ..
Old 03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I think giving him Couture for his MMA debut is kinda throwing him to the Wolves! Give him a Kimbo or Kongo first. Somebody that ain't the Master Couture is.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:54 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I'm gonna call this one right now, my pick is conditional on Toney learning some from of takedown defense, Toney by the most brutal KO in the history of MMA.
I just lost a lot of respect for you with that decision...