Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 03-08-2010, 08:38 AM
annamal

Default calling someone out

The whole "calling someone out on their sin" topic came up in another post and I've been thinking about this alot. It seems to me like this would only be effective with a fellow believer. Someone you know well, and that you know believes the same way you do. As long as you approach them not in an accusatory and judgemental way, but in a loving and concerned way. Like you would for anyone you loved that you saw doing something that could endanger their lives. They may become defensive and angry still, but at least you have done what you can.

On the other hand, if it's someone who doesn't believe the way you do, and you try to reach them that way, it would be pointless. If they don't believe what they are doing is wrong in the first place, you telling them so is just going to push them away. They can't be convicted of sin if they aren't committing one in their eyes. At least that's the way I see it. Granted I haven't done either, and I shudder at the thought.

Anyone else have experience with this?
Old 03-08-2010, 03:33 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamal View Post
The whole "calling someone out on their sin" topic came up in another post and I've been thinking about this alot. It seems to me like this would only be effective with a fellow believer. Someone you know well, and that you know believes the same way you do. As long as you approach them not in an accusatory and judgemental way, but in a loving and concerned way. Like you would for anyone you loved that you saw doing something that could endanger their lives. They may become defensive and angry still, but at least you have done what you can.

On the other hand, if it's someone who doesn't believe the way you do, and you try to reach them that way, it would be pointless. If they don't believe what they are doing is wrong in the first place, you telling them so is just going to push them away. They can't be convicted of sin if they aren't committing one in their eyes. At least that's the way I see it. Granted I haven't done either, and I shudder at the thought.

Anyone else have experience with this?
I disagree. I think that some people need to hear it from someone other than the voice inside their own heads. The Bible makes it clear that EVERYONE knows when they sin because the truth of God's law is screamed from creation. Some people are better at suppressing & ignoring that than others are, but everyone knows that they are sinners. It's important that we, as Christians, walk as Christ did & bear witness to Him through our conduct.

Remember the woman at the well:
Quote:
4:1 Now when Jesus learned that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus was making and baptizing more disciples than John 2 (although Jesus himself did not baptize, but only his disciples), 3 he left Judea and departed again for Galilee. 4 And he had to pass through Samaria. 5 So he came to a town of Samaria called Sychar, near the field that Jacob had given to his son Joseph. 6 Jacob's well was there; so Jesus, wearied as he was from his journey, was sitting beside the well. It was about the sixth hour. [1]

7 A woman from Samaria came to draw water. Jesus said to her, “Give me a drink.” 8 (For his disciples had gone away into the city to buy food.) 9 The Samaritan woman said to him, “How is it that you, a Jew, ask for a drink from me, a woman of Samaria?” (For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans.) 10 Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, ‘Give me a drink,’ you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water.” 11 The woman said to him, “Sir, you have nothing to draw water with, and the well is deep. Where do you get that living water? 12 Are you greater than our father Jacob? He gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did his sons and his livestock.” 13 Jesus said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. [2] The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” 15 The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water, so that I will not be thirsty or have to come here to draw water.”

16 Jesus said to her, “Go, call your husband, and come here.” 17 The woman answered him, “I have no husband.” Jesus said to her, “You are right in saying, ‘I have no husband’; 18 for you have had five husbands, and the one you now have is not your husband. What you have said is true.” 19 The woman said to him, “Sir, I perceive that you are a prophet. 20 Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, but you say that in Jerusalem is the place where people ought to worship.” 21 Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe me, the hour is coming when neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father. 22 You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23 But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. 24 God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” 25 The woman said to him, “I know that Messiah is coming (he who is called Christ). When he comes, he will tell us all things.” 26 Jesus said to her, “I who speak to you am he.”

27 Just then his disciples came back. They marveled that he was talking with a woman, but no one said, “What do you seek?” or, “Why are you talking with her?” 28 So the woman left her water jar and went away into town and said to the people, 29 “Come, see a man who told me all that I ever did. Can this be the Christ?” 30 They went out of the town and were coming to him.

31 Meanwhile the disciples were urging him, saying, “Rabbi, eat.” 32 But he said to them, “I have food to eat that you do not know about.” 33 So the disciples said to one another, “Has anyone brought him something to eat?” 34 Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work. 35 Do you not say, ‘There are yet four months, then comes the harvest’? Look, I tell you, lift up your eyes, and see that the fields are white for harvest. 36 Already the one who reaps is receiving wages and gathering fruit for eternal life, so that sower and reaper may rejoice together. 37 For here the saying holds true, ‘One sows and another reaps.’ 38 I sent you to reap that for which you did not labor. Others have labored, and you have entered into their labor.”

39 Many Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman's testimony, “He told me all that I ever did.” 40 So when the Samaritans came to him, they asked him to stay with them, and he stayed there two days. 41 And many more believed because of his word. 42 They said to the woman, “It is no longer because of what you said that we believe, for we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this is indeed the Savior of the world.”
This woman was of another nationality & faith than Christ was (Samaritan vs. Jew), but Christ still calmly but pointedly revealed her sin to her (infidelity, adultery, etc.), and because of that she & many of her neighbors were saved. Christ has shown us that we should be willing to take a stand and condemn what is evil, but that we must do it out of love for the individual. The phrase that's stuck with me for a long time (I wish I could remember who I heard it from so I could credit them) is "Hate the sin, Love the sinner".
Old 03-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Maglorius

"Hate the sin, not the sinner."
That quote came from Ghandi so don't go selling the farm on it.

A quote I prefer to follow is "Soft words produce hard hearts, and Hard words produce soft hearts."

It takes a real spiritual gift to be able to see someone else's sin, confront them in a loving way that brings them to repentance. Now I'm not sure that the story of the woman at the well is an example how we can confront people about their sins or more about how Jesus confronted her about her sin. I don't believe we are called to be the moral police for the non believer.

As to our brothers and sisters in Christ, I truly believe we are to hold each other accountable to our walks with Christ, encouraging each other as we are sanctified and grow towards Jesus and when it calls for it to rebuke each other when we get off track, either by our actions or words. Remember when Jesus was talking about judging, he did not say never to judge but before you point out your brothers fault, make sure you don't have that same fault. I really believe that the most loving thing a person can do is for his brother is confront him about his sin in the hopes he will come to repentance. I don't think this applies to our non christian friends.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:06 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maglorius View Post

A quote I prefer to follow is "Soft words produce hard hearts, and Hard words produce soft hearts."

It takes a real spiritual gift to be able to see someone else's sin, confront them in a loving way that brings them to repentance. Now I'm not sure that the story of the woman at the well is an example how we can confront people about their sins or more about how Jesus confronted her about her sin. I don't believe we are called to be the moral police for the non believer.

As to our brothers and sisters in Christ, I truly believe we are to hold each other accountable to our walks with Christ, encouraging each other as we are sanctified and grow towards Jesus and when it calls for it to rebuke each other when we get off track, either by our actions or words. Remember when Jesus was talking about judging, he did not say never to judge but before you point out your brothers fault, make sure you don't have that same fault. I really believe that the most loving thing a person can do is for his brother is confront him about his sin in the hopes he will come to repentance. I don't think this applies to our non christian friends.
Ghandi, huh? Well I guess even a busted clock is right twice a day...

I'm not saying that everytime you hear a stranger cuss, it's your duty to bust their chops immediately, but I do believe that if God has put a non-believer in your life that you love & care about, it's your duty to try and reach them. Part of that is firmly but lovingly addressing their sin. Not all day every day, but when the Lord gives you an opportunity (like when my friends would out-right ask me), you need to be prepared to speak a word for Him.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:55 PM
annamal

I see what you're saying. If someone see's you doing something different from the crowd and questions you about it. They are going to be alot more open to being witnessed to than if you go directly to them and start telling them why something they are doing is wrong.

I just know that when I was living a different life, if someone I barely knew or didn't know at all came up to me and began pointing out my sins, I would have told them to get the hell away from me. And if someone I knew well did the same, it would probably depend on my opinion of that person. If they were someone I respected and looked up to, I would be much more likely to accept what they said than if it were just another person like me. In which case it would have more than likely made me very angry and all the more stuck in my ways. Hmm, I guess I'm kinda still like that even now. Stubborn as a mule. Wrong or right, nobody likes having their mistakes shoved in their face.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:42 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamal View Post
I see what you're saying. If someone see's you doing something different from the crowd and questions you about it. They are going to be alot more open to being witnessed to than if you go directly to them and start telling them why something they are doing is wrong.

I just know that when I was living a different life, if someone I barely knew or didn't know at all came up to me and began pointing out my sins, I would have told them to get the hell away from me. And if someone I knew well did the same, it would probably depend on my opinion of that person. If they were someone I respected and looked up to, I would be much more likely to accept what they said than if it were just another person like me. In which case it would have more than likely made me very angry and all the more stuck in my ways. Hmm, I guess I'm kinda still like that even now. Stubborn as a mule. Wrong or right, nobody likes having their mistakes shoved in their face.
Right, which is why you shouldn't shove it in their faces. You should always use tact (think the anti-ChrisF)
Old 03-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maglorius View Post

• I love this post!!
Old 03-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Maglorius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
  • I love this post!!
Thank you
Old 03-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Chris F

Here is what the Bible says about it. Ezekail 3:

16 At the end of seven days the word of the LORD came to me: 17 "Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me. 18 When I say to a wicked man, 'You will surely die,' and you do not warn him or speak out to dissuade him from his evil ways in order to save his life, that wicked man will die for [a] his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood. 19 But if you do warn the wicked man and he does not turn from his wickedness or from his evil ways, he will die for his sin; but you will have saved yourself.
20 "Again, when a righteous man turns from his righteousness and does evil, and I put a stumbling block before him, he will die. Since you did not warn him, he will die for his sin. The righteous things he did will not be remembered, and I will hold you accountable for his blood. 21 But if you do warn the righteous man not to sin and he does not sin, he will surely live because he took warning, and you will have saved yourself."

22 The hand of the LORD was upon me there, and he said to me, "Get up and go out to the plain, and there I will speak to you." 23 So I got up and went out to the plain. And the glory of the LORD was standing there, like the glory I had seen by the Kebar River, and I fell facedown.

24 Then the Spirit came into me and raised me to my feet. He spoke to me and said: "Go, shut yourself inside your house. 25 And you, son of man, they will tie with ropes; you will be bound so that you cannot go out among the people. 26 I will make your tongue stick to the roof of your mouth so that you will be silent and unable to rebuke them, though they are a rebellious house. 27 But when I speak to you, I will open your mouth and you shall say to them, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says.' Whoever will listen let him listen, and whoever will refuse let him refuse; for they are a rebellious house.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Right, which is why you shouldn't shove it in their faces. You should always use tact (think the anti-ChrisF)
I'm flattered. Shove would be putting is nicely. Read the scripture quoted and tell me if you still think you should tip toe in the tulips. Not sure about you but I do not want anyone's blood on my hands.