Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 03-07-2010, 08:15 PM
atomdanger

Default Brian Bowles, lack of heart?

I don't want my thread title to be misleading,
I respect anybody who gets into a cage to fight another man.

But Bowles was the champion, defending his title,
so he asks to see a Dr between rounds because his hand hurt?
I know I know, it was broken... but fight like a Champion.

I really dislike the guy, but at least Faber has the decency fight 5 rounds
with brown when his hand (or both?) was broken.
Rich Franklin has gone through an entire fight with a broken hand, etc...
(Fedor breaks his hand literally almost every fight)

So what do you think? Tough it out, show a champions heart?
Or complain between rounds and say you're unable to continue?

Last edited by atomdanger; 03-07-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:20 AM
Maldonado136

i dont really know what to say about the fight. but yeah he didnt look as pissed or disappointed as most champions would look if they were told the fight is over because of a broken hand. i can say that dominick cruz gets on my nerves. im not sure why although it may be because he reminds me of kj noons.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Well, I was quite shocked. I wasnt expecting Brian Bowles to be able to capture the title to begin with, he was solid, yes, always, but Miguel is slippery so for him to astound me like that, was what made me predict him vs Cruz...who I usually support also.

There seems to be some controversy about what happened between the rounds. Sherdog has stated that the official line is that Bowles refused to answer the bell at the start of the next round....and yet if there was a doctor involved would this not be doctor stoppage?

I'd like to know how the doctor ended up assessing him. Did he or his corner call for one, or did the Ref call for one and send him over. In the former, I hate to say it, but I think thats distinct lack of heart...a broken hand is not going to kill you if its not seen right away...its not like an eye poke, or suspected concusion, or a damaged back, or knee, or neck is it. If it was the latter, then there is nothing he could have done because it would have been doctors orders to stop the match.

One thing is certain, he has failed to bring unity and stability to the division, and I dont expect Cruz to do much better...I think that Benevidez if he challenges might present a solid reign, but ultimately, I want Torres back!
Old 03-08-2010, 02:15 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Well, I was quite shocked. I wasnt expecting Brian Bowles to be able to capture the title to begin with, he was solid, yes, always, but Miguel is slippery so for him to astound me like that, was what made me predict him vs Cruz...who I usually support also.

There seems to be some controversy about what happened between the rounds. Sherdog has stated that the official line is that Bowles refused to answer the bell at the start of the next round....and yet if there was a doctor involved would this not be doctor stoppage?

I'd like to know how the doctor ended up assessing him. Did he or his corner call for one, or did the Ref call for one and send him over. In the former, I hate to say it, but I think thats distinct lack of heart...a broken hand is not going to kill you if its not seen right away...its not like an eye poke, or suspected concusion, or a damaged back, or knee, or neck is it. If it was the latter, then there is nothing he could have done because it would have been doctors orders to stop the match.

One thing is certain, he has failed to bring unity and stability to the division, and I dont expect Cruz to do much better...I think that Benevidez if he challenges might present a solid reign, but ultimately, I want Torres back!
I like Cruz, I am excited to see what he can do.

I think no matter he asked for a doctor between rounds,
there is more than one way to quit you know?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:58 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

I just got through watching the event & they show the doc turning to the ref & waving off the fight, so it certainly appeared to be a Doctor Stoppage to me. I dunno, I get the feeling that he was expecting an easier time of it & realized it wasn't gonna be a cake walk. Sometimes getting something that you're not expecting can just be too much to process that quickly & it overwhlems you, mentally & emotionally.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:48 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I just got through watching the event & they show the doc turning to the ref & waving off the fight, so it certainly appeared to be a Doctor Stoppage to me. I dunno, I get the feeling that he was expecting an easier time of it & realized it wasn't gonna be a cake walk. Sometimes getting something that you're not expecting can just be too much to process that quickly & it overwhlems you, mentally & emotionally.
Right, but doctors don't examine both fighters between every round,
he asked the doc to look at his hand = he wanted a way out.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:06 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
Yeah, I'm not debating that part. I was just commenting on the "Failed to respond" vs. "Doc Stop" bit.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

I could very well be wrong but I thought during his speech after the fight he talked about breaking it in his last fight and then when he felt it break this time it was all he could think about because it was twice so close together. He was worried about permanent injury. I was half asleep when I watched his speech and I am not going to go FF thru it all to listen to it again but I can see worrying about permanent injury. Not all guys plan to be mma fighters their whole lives. I have no problem with a guy asking a doc to take a look when there is a REAL injury. Hopefully I didn't dream the whole speech....

~Amy
Old 03-08-2010, 03:08 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
exactly ... like people keep saying, BJ didn't quit against GSP in the second fight, that his brothers stopped it ... he wasn't answering because he wanted a way out ... and he got it ... and a trip to the hospital ... but yeah, i wouldn't want to even know what it feels like to throw and land punches with a broken hand ... i wouldn't say it is a lack of heart, it is not wanting to further damage yourself, especially when you know you aren't going to be able to give it 100% ...
Old 03-10-2010, 02:11 AM
sender

I can see quitting cause of a broken hand... but not in a title fight...

He was getting beat up everywhere. He wanted to go out without getting embarassed I think. But what do I know.