Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 03-06-2010, 12:16 AM
surveyorshawn

Ok, what if you are self-employed, have employees, overhead, etc., but are not incorporated. Then what do you tithe off of?
Old 03-06-2010, 01:27 AM
Chuck

I'm still not sure about tithing and how it applies to believers today. I firmly believe in supporting my church financially but for me tithing is still an issue I'm seeking to understand a little more deeply.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:30 AM
Adia

I will be really interested to hear everyone's perspectives on this. We have a rather large Wesleyan church in our community that just built a 4 million dollar complex and is well known for its strict and forceful tithing protocol (financial substantiation is required when setting up the amount a family will dedicate to the church).

I'm trying to understand the whole process and would definitely appreciate insight as I am curious.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I'm still not sure about tithing and how it applies to believers today. I firmly believe in supporting my church financially but for me tithing is still an issue I'm seeking to understand a little more deeply.
What's interesting about Biblical tithing, as described in the Old Testament, is that the Israelites did not give money. They mainly gave livestock and food items like grain.

Also, they didn't just give to whatever charity or organization that they chose, they only gave to the Levites in charge of the Temple.

Since the tribe of Levi's sole task was to maintain the Temple, the tithe was necessary in order for them to survive, since that was their primary food supply.

Nowadays, with no Temple on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem, the purpose of tithing becomes a bit more vague. While tithing is good and I fully believe that GOD blesses those who tithe, it's really not a necessity for a Christian life since the original intent (sustenance for the Levitical priesthood) does not exist at this time.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:33 AM
annamal

It's to long to post the whole thing but in 1 Corinthians ch. 9 Paul talks about those who dedicate their lives to preaching the gospel have a right to being supported for doing so.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Since the government takes its cut before you even see your money, then there is really not much you can do there. Just be sure to tithe first before you start paying other bills or buying stuff.
NateR that does not mean you can't still tithe on you Gross.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsmama View Post
Since this question came up I would like to add a question to it. I have a family member who has a million excuses why he can't work. he is able, young enough, healthy...just sorry. Anyway he tells me he is really "into God" as he puts it. He said because he doesn't work he doesn't have to give anything to God. This man is a very good and skilled worker although he is just lazy. He has many talents he could offer to a church (repairing cars, playing music or doing house repairs). It doesn't sit well with me that he thinks he doesn't have to tithe. In my mind although he doesn't have money he should tithe what he has. In his case it would be knowledge and skill to help people. He is just too lazy.

What do you think about that? I don't like him so I could just be being a little judgemental.
You are right. We can tithe of what we do have to give. Skills, time, anything. God wants you more then anything. Good points!
Old 03-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyorshawn View Post
Ok, what if you are self-employed, have employees, overhead, etc., but are not incorporated. Then what do you tithe off of?
What ever is income. First fruits of your increase is what the bible says. So I in the past when I was self employed did so on my part of the income. I would also tithe as a bussines as well if I were you. Better to have God's blessing on your money.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Jesus addressed it as did Paul. It was not called a tithes because that was assumed by the audience. SO it is a NT principal and has not ended.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamal View Post
It's to long to post the whole thing but in 1 Corinthians ch. 9 Paul talks about those who dedicate their lives to preaching the gospel have a right to being supported for doing so.
They do but take it from me most churches do not support their ministers. And when they get mad at them they threaten to stop tithing hoping they can starve them out. They did this to me but it seemed the more they tried not to pay the more I got paid in others ways. It made them even more mad. There may not be anymore Levites but there are still plenty minister out there that should be properly supported. Some on the other hand are gluttonous with power and money and that is all they preach on. This is also wrong as Peter says not to make merchandise of God's work.