Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 03-04-2010, 03:52 AM
annamal

Default Tithing

When you tithe, is it supposed to come from before or after the government takes it cut? I have no problem with tithing and I know we're supposed to give to God from the first fruits of our labor, but the government gets there first. I don't want to be stingy, I just want to do it right.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Chuck

Interesting question...
Old 03-05-2010, 02:05 AM
Chris F

YOu should pay your tithes on your gross income. First fruits not seconds. It is all Gods he just wants the first tenth and you can pay your bills including taxes with the 90% left. The scripture is clear it is more about the attitude then the specifics. The widow and her mite vs the rich men who gave out of their abundance yet the widow gave out of her poverty. Since income taxes are not in the bible there is not exact verse. But historically the temple tax was paid by the Jews before the taxes to Rome.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamal View Post
When you tithe, is it supposed to come from before or after the government takes it cut? I have no problem with tithing and I know we're supposed to give to God from the first fruits of our labor, but the government gets there first. I don't want to be stingy, I just want to do it right.
Since the government takes its cut before you even see your money, then there is really not much you can do there. Just be sure to tithe first before you start paying other bills or buying stuff.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:21 AM
annamal

Cool, thanks.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Twinsmama

Since this question came up I would like to add a question to it. I have a family member who has a million excuses why he can't work. he is able, young enough, healthy...just sorry. Anyway he tells me he is really "into God" as he puts it. He said because he doesn't work he doesn't have to give anything to God. This man is a very good and skilled worker although he is just lazy. He has many talents he could offer to a church (repairing cars, playing music or doing house repairs). It doesn't sit well with me that he thinks he doesn't have to tithe. In my mind although he doesn't have money he should tithe what he has. In his case it would be knowledge and skill to help people. He is just too lazy.

What do you think about that? I don't like him so I could just be being a little judgemental.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:41 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

As a rule of thumb, I just tithe 10% of my gross paycheck. That way when I get my tax returns, I can spend 'em guilt-free since I know I've already given the first seeds to God.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I put what little I save each week into the collection plate...does that count

Old 03-05-2010, 07:51 PM
rearnakedchoke

10%??? i have been giving 23% because that is what i thought is said in the bible ...
Old 03-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
10%??? i have been giving 23% because that is what i thought is said in the bible ...
Who told you that? It's good that you are giving more, but nowhere in the Bible does it say 23%.

The word "tithe" literally means "tenth." So it's always been 10%.