Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-04-2010, 02:26 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
I don't pretend that "Lights Out" will ever compete for the belt, but he'll fight Kimbo and maybe Chuck (at HW) and the guys that will thump with him. He'll sell a **** load of tickets and maybe convert some boxing purists.
I agree with you 100% on the Kimbo call, but Chuck? You think Dana would do that?

I also think it would definitely bring some Boxing fans over to watch his fights, but a lot of the hardcore boxing fans hate MMA, and that is sad for me to say because I consider myself a hardcore boxing fan and I love MMA. It goes both ways, and Boxing gets it's fair share of hate from MMA fans too, but as a fan of both sports I have never cared much for the debate as to which is better, but I am all about seeing what happens when a Boxer tries to convert to MMA and vise-versa.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I agree with you 100% on the Kimbo call, but Chuck? You think Dana would do that?

I also think it would definitely bring some Boxing fans over to watch his fights, but a lot of the hardcore boxing fans hate MMA, and that is sad for me to say because I consider myself a hardcore boxing fan and I love MMA. It goes both ways, and Boxing gets it's fair share of hate from MMA fans too, but as a fan of both sports I have never cared much for the debate as to which is better, but I am all about seeing what happens when a Boxer tries to convert to MMA and vise-versa.
I think it would be a big sell and if Chuck wanted it and Dana wanted to give him a huge payday they would make it happen.
I'm also a huge boxing fan and hate the criticism my boxing friends give MMA. I want ot see A. Silva try boxing at some point and I want to see TOney fight in the UFC. Maybe they can bring Tank back for his second fight (after Kimbo)

[
Old 03-04-2010, 03:54 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
I think it would be a big sell and if Chuck wanted it and Dana wanted to give him a huge payday they would make it happen.
I'm also a huge boxing fan and hate the criticism my boxing friends give MMA. I want ot see A. Silva try boxing at some point and I want to see TOney fight in the UFC. Maybe they can bring Tank back for his second fight (after Kimbo)
I hear ya, but I just don't think Dana would be all about the possibility of seeing Chuck get brutally KO'd again. Toney might be 41, but you got Boxing purists saying that Vitali is ducking him.....the dude is dangerous.

Tank against Toney? F**k it, I'm down!

I was always a fan of Tank Abbott, but realistically, he has no business fighting anymore, especially not at the UFC level. He is 10-14, and we've been there done that way too many times (even though as a fan I will always watch him fight).

As for Silva trying to box, I would love to see it, but I can honestly say that I don't think he stands a chance in a boxing match against anybody who is even sniffing at being considered "top competition". Just because he emulates what Roy Jones did 10 years ago in his MMA fights, don't mean he can beat Roy Jones.

When they were hyping the idea of a Jones vs Silva boxing match a year or two ago, I was very interested. Today, I am still somewhat interested, but I honestly think that Jones just needs to retire after the Hopkins fight, no matter what happens. To quote the current P4P bad-boy, Floyd Mayweather Jr, "there ain't nothing cool about getting hit in the head", and there ain't nothing cool about the way Muhammad Ali is today. Sometimes, a fighter just don't know when to hang em' up.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:35 AM
JA Yount

Walker is in his 40's and has had multiple martial arts black belts, but Dana says that that guy is a joke. Then signs this 40-something former pro to make an MMA debut?

and furthermore......

Personally Iím more intrigued to see Ricardo Mayorga in Shine against Din Thomas.

Mayorga is closer to his prime, and he is stepping in against a legit badass in his first fight. Toney is sure to get a hand picked tomato can similar to Herschel Walkerís.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:49 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Yount View Post
Walker is in his 40's and has had multiple martial arts black belts, but Dana says that that guy is a joke. Then signs this 40-something former pro to make an MMA debut?

and furthermore......

Personally I’m more intrigued to see Ricardo Mayorga in Shine against Din Thomas.

Mayorga is closer to his prime, and he is stepping in against a legit badass in his first fight. Toney is sure to get a hand picked tomato can similar to Herschel Walker’s.
James Toney is the current NABO and IBA heavyweight champion. Those may not be the best titles in the world, but he is hardly a "former-pro". I'm all about seeing Mayorga vs Din Thomas too, but don't get it twisted, James Toney is a much more accomplished and talented fighter than Ricardo Mayorga.

Who did you expect Walker to fight? The guy has never fought professionally on any level, and he is 48.

James Toney is not Herschel Walker, and the UFC is not Strikeforce.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:27 AM

james toney has the worst style for a boxer trying to come into mma... plus hes not a legit mma hw, hes 5'10 could prob cut to 185 if he wanted to... Hes gonna go into a hw mma fight wighing like 218 out of shape... Hes gonna get taken down by anyone even kimbo and get beaten up because hes not gonna take it seriously!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
James Toney is the current NABO and IBA heavyweight champion. Those may not be the best titles in the world, but he is hardly a "former-pro". I'm all about seeing Mayorga vs Din Thomas too, but don't get it twisted, James Toney is a much more accomplished and talented fighter than Ricardo Mayorga.

Who did you expect Walker to fight? The guy has never fought professionally on any level, and he is 48.

James Toney is not Herschel Walker, and the UFC is not Strikeforce.
mayorga's free brawling style will translate alot better to mma though
Old 03-04-2010, 09:17 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
james toney has the worst style for a boxer trying to come into mma... plus hes not a legit mma hw, hes 5'10 could prob cut to 185 if he wanted to... Hes gonna go into a hw mma fight wighing like 218 out of shape... Hes gonna get taken down by anyone even kimbo and get beaten up because hes not gonna take it seriously!!!
He has not cut to that weight in 7 years, why should he do it now?
Old 03-04-2010, 09:20 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
mayorga's free brawling style will translate alot better to mma though

Okay....
Old 03-04-2010, 10:54 AM
wavetar

Does this mean Chris Lytle will have to drop his "lights out" moniker?

I've always liked Toney...I just wish he were the Toney of the early to mid 90's competing...at MW or WW. I know the talent pool is deeper at the lighter weights, but he had truly devastating power-to-weight ratio back then. Heck, I remember playing as him on the SuperNES in "Legends of the Ring" back in '91...he was already 27-1 & considered one of the best ever in his weight class.