Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 03-03-2010, 07:34 PM
annamal

Default This doesn't make sense.

In Exodus, God has commanded Moses to go back to Egypt to speak to Pharoah. On the way back something really weird happens that doesn't make sense to me.

Exodus 4:24-26

And it came to pass by the way in the inn, that the Lord met him, and sought to kill him. Then Zipporah took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me. So he let him go: then she said, A bloody husband thou art, because of the circumcision.

I read this first in NIV and then read it in KVJ hoping it would make more sense, but it's basically the same. Why would God try to kill Moses if he was doing as God told him by going back to Egypt? And why would Moses' wife circumcising his son and throwing the foreskin at Moses' feet cause God to not kill Moses. Is there some information missing here?
Old 03-04-2010, 09:54 AM
warriorlion

I'm not sure - will have to check, but I believe that God had told Moses that his family should all be circumsised, and Moses had not done one of his sons, therefore disobeying God. I will look it up and confirm, but I'm pretty sure thats the basis of it
Old 03-04-2010, 12:05 PM
annamal

That would certainly make sense. It's just weird the way it's thrown in there with nothing leading up to it and nothing following it to fit it into the story. It kinda seems like some verses are missing. Maybe it was lost in translation.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Warrior's right. God had commanded that every Israelite boy was to be circumcised at 8 days. Moses sinned by not circumcising his son. God came to kill Moses as punishment & his wife saved Moses' life by performing the circumcision.