Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 03-03-2010, 03:11 AM
annamal

Default Seeing the world through new eyes.

I was raised to believe that the immoral ways of the world were wrong. Profanity, blasphemy, immodesty, adultery, drunkeness, lust, idolatry, sexual immorality, anger, rage, malice, slander, etc. But then I grew up and went out into the world and found it to be a very different place then what I had experienced before. These immoral ways that at first shocked me, grew to be expected, and then accepted. There were plenty of excuses to act this way, surely if the whole world behaves in this manner it can't be that bad. And then I began to see the church as judgemental, too strict, and unrealistic in their expectations of christians. But these last few weeks as the Word of God has come alive for me and I have begun to truly know God for the first time, He has completely changed the way I view the world. The profanity that comes so easily to my lips shames me.

James 3:9-10 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be.

My sister brought over a movie the other night that she and her daughters thought was hilarious. I was immediately turned off by the profanity in it and later on disgusted and appalled by the scenes of nudity. A couple of weeks ago I wouldn't have batted an eye. I looked over at my 16 and 13 y/o neices, who were laughing hysterically, as their young minds were being calloused by this filth. I couldn't leave the room as I didn't want to hurt their feelings, they brought this movie over thinking that I would enjoy it. My sister is five years older than me, she has been a parent for many years, I am not yet. Who am I to judge what she lets her kids watch? We already disagree on many things and I don't want to bring any more enmity between us.

Just because I suddenly see the world through new eyes doesn't give me cause to say to my family, this is wrong, you should not do this. A month ago if someone had said the same to me, I would have been angry with that person and felt like they had no right to judge me. The Bible says it is God's place to judge, not man's. But it also says if you see your brother doing wrong, you should go to him and try to persuade him from it, so that he does not lose eternal life. I don't know what I can do but try to be an example. And yet what a pathetic example I am.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:12 AM
Chris F

silence is acceptance. If you do not speak out against it you are essentially accepting is as proper. Christinas have a responsibility to be salt and light. Jesus said salt that losses it flavor is good for nothing and will be cast out. So brother speak out against anything that is not biblical and do not fear. Jesus said they will reject you because they first rejected me. You will be in good company.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Miss Foxy

You can let her know that you were a little shocked at the profanity/nudity in the film, however I would be very careful of what and how you approach someone. While you mean the best she could take it personal. Just depends on your relationship.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

arrange another time to meet up with a video, this time, you choose what you watch, and make it something nice with a moral. They might not notice the lack of anything violent/distasteful, or they might overlook it...thats fine, you have then presented them with an ulternative even if you say nothing about the first film...I wouldnt...you dont want to bring it glory it doesnt deserve.

now maybe...they will be suprised that you didnt pick a film with what they were expected in...then THEY will ask YOU about the subject, and you can give your opinion without it being like you have raised a judgement...for they will have asked.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:42 AM
annamal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
arrange another time to meet up with a video, this time, you choose what you watch, and make it something nice with a moral. They might not notice the lack of anything violent/distasteful, or they might overlook it...thats fine, you have then presented them with an ulternative even if you say nothing about the first film...I wouldnt...you dont want to bring it glory it doesnt deserve.

now maybe...they will be suprised that you didnt pick a film with what they were expected in...then THEY will ask YOU about the subject, and you can give your opinion without it being like you have raised a judgement...for they will have asked.

Good idea Dave.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:45 AM
annamal

Thanks for all of your input. I just don't feel like I have the right to throw stones when I'm so new at this lifestyle anyway. Maybe I'll invite her to this church I started going to. I bet she'd come.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
silence is acceptance. If you do not speak out against it you are essentially accepting is as proper. Christinas have a responsibility to be salt and light. Jesus said salt that losses it flavor is good for nothing and will be cast out. So brother speak out against anything that is not biblical and do not fear. Jesus said they will reject you because they first rejected me. You will be in good company.
How would you suggest he do this?

Do you think Christians are always supposed to "speak out" against things we feel contradict scripture?

If not, how do you discern when to or not to?
Old 03-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Crisco

What movie was it?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:53 AM
annamal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco View Post
What movie was it?
I don't remember. Something with Sandra Bullock and some guy.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:09 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Man, that's a tough situation. Being a conservative Christian on a very liberal urban campus has landed me in a ton of these kinds of problems. I usually find that if I voice my complaints without being angry or accusatory that the others in the situation are very understanding & accommodating.

For example: I didn't drink until I turned 21. My roommates all drank & we regularly had parties at our place. Just about every weekend, I'd end up having this conversation:

Friend: "Hey man, you wanna beer?"
Me: "No thanks, dude, I dont' drink."
Friend: "Wha..Why not?"
Me: "Cause I'm not 21."
Friend: "Yeah, well so what, there's no cops here!"
Me: "Yeah, but that's what the law is, so that's what I'm gonna do."
Friend: "Yeah, but the law's not fair! I mean, we can vote or go in the Army & get shot at 18!"
Me: "Hey, man, I'd love to be allowed to drink at 18, but that's not the law."
Friend: "Well if you wanna drink then why don't you?"
Me: "Well, because the Bible says that we're to respect the government that God has placed in power over us & so, as a Christian, I believe I need to respect the drinking age."
Friend: "O, the Bible, huh? So I guess you thin we're all a bunch of sinners, huh?"
Me: "Well, yeah, but that includes me. I mean, just 'cause I don't drink doesn't mean I'm perfect. I'm just as sinful as anyone else around."

Surprisingly, I got to share my faith a lot because of my decision to wait for 21. I'm not sure how many of my friends remember my testimony, but hey: I gave it any how!!