Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 03-04-2010, 08:03 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
Socialized medicine just gives you the ILLUSION of cheap or free medicine! Somebody somewhere has to pay for it and its probably gonna be you even though you don't think you are.
Not all universal healthcare is socialized.

Let go of your ideas about healthcare and do some research,
its costing less in other countries then we're paying,
its working better,
and people are living longer.

Open your mind.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:53 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post

its working better,

Open your mind.
The government is paying less. The people are paying more.

Open your eyes.

And they WILL control what type of care is to be given. They do it with medicaid and medicare already.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post

Open your eyes.

And they WILL control what type of care is to be given. They do it with medicaid and medicare already.
Chiming in here....NC has a state insurance plan that anyone can buy into fairly easily. I have no clue what the cost is, I've never asked my patients. But with medicaid and the state plan, I cannot get my diabetics enough supplies. They just won't pay for enough strips to test their blood sugar. I work with high risk OB patients and if we don't have enough data on mom's blood sugar we can have horrible outcomes for both mom and baby. So yeah, they already DO control what type of care we can give. That's just a small example of what I deal with. This is testing strips for glucometers, not narcotics or some wackado experimental treatment.

~Amy
Old 03-05-2010, 01:19 PM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
Chiming in here....NC has a state insurance plan that anyone can buy into fairly easily. I have no clue what the cost is, I've never asked my patients. But with medicaid and the state plan, I cannot get my diabetics enough supplies. They just won't pay for enough strips to test their blood sugar. I work with high risk OB patients and if we don't have enough data on mom's blood sugar we can have horrible outcomes for both mom and baby. So yeah, they already DO control what type of care we can give. That's just a small example of what I deal with. This is testing strips for glucometers, not narcotics or some wackado experimental treatment.

~Amy
OH! Don't even get me started on Medicare and Medicaid. If we have a patient that is going to be admitted and they are covered by these, we have to start jumping through hoops. And if you miss one, you don't get paid. For example, we have to do a urinalysis to prove the patient doesn't have a urinary tract infection before admission. We have to do a chest xray and draw blood cultures to prove they don't have pnuemonia before admission. (Regardless of what they are there for.) And the list goes on. You have to outline every diagnosis at the door or they won't pay. So if you find something else wrong with them after they are admitted then the hospital and doctors eat the bill. We spend more money on the government trying to get out of paying than we do on patient care sometimes.

(I won't even start on the subject of trying to find something to admit the pt on because they are sick and need treatment but the govt says that their diagnosis doesn't require a hospital stay (esp elderly). )

AND now they have decided that they won't pay for the antibiotic Levaquin.

Maybe this is why I am so against government ran healthcare. I see them interferring with good medical care on a daily basis.

ps. Hospital costs and private insurance costs were driven up by THE GOVERNMENT HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS.

Whew! I feel better.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
OH! Don't even get me started on Medicare and Medicaid. If we have a patient that is going to be admitted and they are covered by these, we have to start jumping through hoops. And if you miss one, you don't get paid. For example, we have to do a urinalysis to prove the patient doesn't have a urinary tract infection before admission. We have to do a chest xray and draw blood cultures to prove they don't have pnuemonia before admission. (Regardless of what they are there for.) And the list goes on. You have to outline every diagnosis at the door or they won't pay. So if you find something else wrong with them after they are admitted then the hospital and doctors eat the bill. We spend more money on the government trying to get out of paying than we do on patient care sometimes.

(I won't even start on the subject of trying to find something to admit the pt on because they are sick and need treatment but the govt says that their diagnosis doesn't require a hospital stay (esp elderly). )

AND now they have decided that they won't pay for the antibiotic Levaquin.

Maybe this is why I am so against government ran healthcare. I see them interferring with good medical care on a daily basis.

ps. Hospital costs and private insurance costs were driven up by THE GOVERNMENT HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS.

Whew! I feel better.
Yep. The new medicaid laws make us get preauthorization for ultrasounds every time we do one. So if a pt calls me on the triage line and says, "I haven't felt the baby move all day." I can't bring them in to do an ultrasound until medicaid says it's ok. We sometimes just have minutes to save a baby so if we don't get an immediate preauthorization my pt's baby could die before I get her in to be scanned. We aren't even allowed to *start* scanning until we get that. We have been banging our heads against the wall here at my office over this one. There's no leeway for emergencies at all. Even if we sent her directly to the hospital we couldn't get a scan on her until THEY got preauthorization from medicaid as well.

~Amy
Old 03-06-2010, 11:00 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I KNOW that medicaid don't like to pay! I personally know someone who is on medicaid cause they have been disabled all of their life. I am talking about Legitimate disabilities here. Their is alot of bill's medicaid has not paid so it go's on this person's credit report! So anybody that thinks medicaid equals good or free health care is sadly mistaken.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post

its working better,

Open your mind.
The opposition to healthcare reform is not really about healthcare at all, since most people will recognize that our system is far from perfect and changes need to be made. The opposition is to the people who want to do the reforming. To put it simply, the Democrats in power right now are not trustworthy; so, I don't believe for a minute that they have the best interests of the American people in mind.

Plus, do you really want the same level of service at hospitals that you now receive at the Post Office or DMV? Recognizing the need for change is one thing, but we need to be careful that we don't rush into a legislation that we cannot afford and could very well make things much much worse.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:50 PM
atomdanger

Quote:

Open your eyes.

What do you mean NOW? yeah I know, we're in the only country where you can go bankrupt from medical costs.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:15 PM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
The opposition to healthcare reform is not really about healthcare at all, since most people will recognize that our system is far from perfect and changes need to be made. The opposition is to the people who want to do the reforming. To put it simply, the Democrats in power right now are not trustworthy; so, I don't believe for a minute that they have the best interests of the American people in mind.

Plus, do you really want the same level of service at hospitals that you now receive at the Post Office or DMV? Recognizing the need for change is one thing, but we need to be careful that we don't rush into a legislation that we cannot afford and could very well make things much much worse.
Damn, Nate! You called it. lol
Old 10-31-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Damn, Nate! You called it. lol
called what???? nate has never believed the dems have had the interests of the people in mind ... not just when it comes to healthcare, but everything!!!