Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 03-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Chris F

we have always had massive Earthquakes and weird weather. We just now report it much faster and more people are live to be killed by them. There is nothing to worry about. The end has be close ever since Jesus ascended to heaven. There is nothing special about our day and age.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:46 PM

It has been recorded at least from the year 1000 that people have obsessed about the end of time and the Apocalypse.

Particular years of obsession have been 1000,1066,1666,2000 to name some of the big ones. But it has come in cycles since Christs resurrection.

The Black plague wiped out nearly a third of the population of the WORLD. Those were some apocalyptic times!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
we have always had massive Earthquakes and weird weather. We just now report it much faster and more people are live to be killed by them. There is nothing to worry about. The end has be close ever since Jesus ascended to heaven. There is nothing special about our day and age.
Except for the reestablishment of the nation of Israel in 1948. That simple fact changes a lot.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Except for the reestablishment of the nation of Israel in 1948. That simple fact changes a lot.
maybe...but maybe not.

How do you know that this is the correct Re-Establishment?

perhaps the Jews will be scattered again, and collected again...its happened before...they were exhiled, they were restored, they were exhiled again, they have been restored...how can you be sure that this Re-Establishment is actually a definate sign?

We know the end times happen whilst there is an Established Israel...but we do not know how many times it will scatter and reform.

No...a BETTER fact to look for is the Temple...and we dont have that yet. A Re-Established Israel is not truely Re-Established without the Temple The whole Nation should revolve around a Temple with Levitical Type offerings being conducted day in and day out. THAT is a Re-Established Israel.

I put it to you that Israel is only Re-Established by Mans Definition of having a bunch of Jews, under a Government, on the site of the promised land.

I Put it to you that GODs ideal of a Re-Established Israel, involves a King (and therefore the foundation of a Monarchy) and the Re-Building of GODs Temple.

He has nowhere to Dwell. They have not built an Altar for Him. Until they do that, they are NOT Re-Established.

Food for thought, not trying to start an argument, just presenting an ulternative thought
Old 03-03-2010, 01:24 AM
Chris F

Quote:
If you believe in numerology. I personally do not and numbers do not hold special meaning to my eschatology. Paul would have discussed it more if it was important. Those theories are all new so I have not really followed them. Since we are not told specifics it is certainly a possible date of interest.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
If you believe in numerology. I personally do not and numbers do not hold special meaning to my eschatology. Paul would have discussed it more if it was important. Those theories are all new so I have not really followed them. Since we are not told specifics it is certainly a possible date of interest.
Well, numerology is a big thing in the Bible, which is why we have an entire book devoted to numbers, called Numbers. Also, the Gospel of John places a lot of significance on numerology, or the proper name, Kabbalism (which has absolutely nothing in common with the bizarre, new-age-y religion that we hear of today).

Kabbalism is seen as something strange and mystical today, but for the Jews it was just another method of Biblical interpretation.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:18 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Well, numerology is a big thing in the Bible, which is why we have an entire book devoted to numbers, called Numbers. Also, the Gospel of John places a lot of significance on numerology, or the proper name, Kabbalism (which has absolutely nothing in common with the bizarre, new-age-y religion that we hear of today).

Kabbalism is seen as something strange and mystical today, but for the Jews it was just another method of Biblical interpretation.
Yeah I am familiar with the system of study. I just do not hold to it. I prefer to focus on the revealed Word and not so much on the hidden coded word.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
The Ancient Jews of the Torah believed in Numerology. thats why their language holds a numerical value for each letter of the alphabet, and why there are multiple meanings of the Torah depending on the level of numerical depth you decide to invest in exploring.

Just because you dont believe it, doesnt mean it doesnt exist...the Ancient Jews definately believed it, and Paul doesnt really talk about Jewish things, because his audience is to the non jews...as a Pharasee, he would have indepth knowledge of Numerology used in the Torah as standard
Old 03-03-2010, 12:33 PM
County Mike

The world is not going to end in our lifetime, or in our kids lifetime. I wouldn't worry about it. Spend your time on something more meaningful.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
The world is not going to end in our lifetime, or in our kids lifetime. I wouldn't worry about it. Spend your time on something more meaningful.
This is true. Armageddon is actually a reference to the Second Coming of Jesus Christ, which will usher in His 1000-year reign on the earth. So, even if we live to see Armageddon, we won't see the end of the world in this lifetime.