Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 03-01-2010, 12:48 AM
Robertboxerboy

Default 2012 and the Apocolyps.

So you know how 2012 on the mayan calender was the end of the world. Well so far in 2010 a massive earth quake have hit both Haiti and Chile. Maybe these are some warning signs that heaven and earth will collide soon? I dunno just a theory of mine. I just found it odd that in two years is suppose to be "the end of the world" and already this year we have had soo many trajedies. Your thoughts?
Old 03-01-2010, 12:55 AM
Silverback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertboxerboy View Post
So you know how 2012 on the mayan calender was the end of the world. Well so far in 2010 a massive earth quake have hit both Haiti and Chile. Maybe these are some warning signs that heaven and earth will collide soon? I dunno just a theory of mine. I just found it odd that in two years is suppose to be "the end of the world" and already this year we have had soo many trajedies. Your thoughts?
What will be, will be, nothing we can do about it, so let the party begin. So Mac, how much meat do we need????
Old 03-01-2010, 01:07 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertboxerboy View Post
Define "End of the World"

For Christians the End of the World doesnt happen until the Millenial Reign which is Christs Return...BUT before that there is a Seven Year period known as the Tribulation, and we have defo yet to begin that, so in the strictest sence of the word...No...because there isnt time to fit the end times in before 2012

Now, there is also a thought in the Christian church that the Christians are all assumpted (that means go to heaven without dying, they are lifted up, or vanish) at an event known as "The Rapture" which is supposed to happen at the Start of the Tribulation. If you say the Tribulation begins in 2012, then yes I suppose it could be the end of earthly life for all Christians that year because the Rapture would happen.

But both of the above points are not aggreed upon by the whole of Christendom.

Secondly, everyone is forgetting something. The mayan callendar predicts no apokalypse for 2012, it simply stops. The chances are high that the Callendar was built to be updated every Millenia. That being so, the Mayans would have believed that in 2012, they would simply extend the callendar by another thousand years.

it is supposition that the end of the callendar, even in Mayan terms, is a prediction of anything at all. If you were a culture...would you really plan your callendar in a written or stone form more then a thousand years into the future??? I reckon they stopped out of sheer economy a sort of archaic form of running out of paper so to speak.

Finally, even if the mayan callendars end predicted something, it might just be a natural disastor. In England, Nostradamus predicted the end of the world...and it turned out to be a thunderstorm...was, one hell of a thunderstorm...but the next day still came.

You have to wonder about injecting prophecy into a culture too stupid to have predicted its own end, which happened at the Spanish Conquistador hands...I mean, what Culture predicts a thousand years hence, and forgets to predict its own doom

That was one apokalypse they never saw coming
Old 03-01-2010, 01:26 AM
Garandshooter

No one shall know the hour, and I bet people whom lived two hundered years ago thought they were close. I have small childeren so I hope the end is not near, but when I look at society today I can't help but wonder.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:28 AM
Maldonado136

if this is the case then I better stock up on twinkies. Everyone knows that the only things a nuclear blast cant destroy are cockroaches and twinkies.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:33 AM
surveyorshawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Define "End of the World"

For Christians the End of the World doesnt happen until the Millenial Reign which is Christs Return...BUT before that there is a Seven Year period known as the Tribulation, and we have defo yet to begin that, so in the strictest sence of the word...No...because there isnt time to fit the end times in before 2012

Now, there is also a thought in the Christian church that the Christians are all assumpted (that means go to heaven without dying, they are lifted up, or vanish) at an event known as "The Rapture" which is supposed to happen at the Start of the Tribulation. If you say the Tribulation begins in 2012, then yes I suppose it could be the end of earthly life for all Christians that year because the Rapture would happen.

But both of the above points are not aggreed upon by the whole of Christendom.

Secondly, everyone is forgetting something. The mayan callendar predicts no apokalypse for 2012, it simply stops. The chances are high that the Callendar was built to be updated every Millenia. That being so, the Mayans would have believed that in 2012, they would simply extend the callendar by another thousand years.

it is supposition that the end of the callendar, even in Mayan terms, is a prediction of anything at all. If you were a culture...would you really plan your callendar in a written or stone form more then a thousand years into the future??? I reckon they stopped out of sheer economy a sort of archaic form of running out of paper so to speak.

Finally, even if the mayan callendars end predicted something, it might just be a natural disastor. In England, Nostradamus predicted the end of the world...and it turned out to be a thunderstorm...was, one hell of a thunderstorm...but the next day still came.

You have to wonder about injecting prophecy into a culture too stupid to have predicted its own end, which happened at the Spanish Conquistador hands...I mean, what Culture predicts a thousand years hence, and forgets to predict its own doom

That was one apokalypse they never saw coming
That's pretty good, Dave! Btw, shouldn't this one be moved over to the Woodshed and out of Christianity?
Old 03-01-2010, 01:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandshooter View Post
No one shall know the hour, and I bet people whom lived two hundered years ago thought they were close. I have small childeren so I hope the end is not near, but when I look at society today I can't help but wonder.
While it's true that we don't know the day or the hour, if we pay attention, we can know the season. Otherwise, what is the point of prophecy in the Bible?
Old 03-01-2010, 12:00 PM
County Mike

The end of the world comes around every 10-20 years. Funny how we're all still here though.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyorshawn View Post
That's pretty good, Dave!
I thought so to
Old 03-02-2010, 03:54 PM
CAVEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandshooter View Post
I honestly do not think it is far off!

2 Timothy 3: 1-4

1 But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, 4 traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,

Sounds like our present world!