Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 01-24-2009, 02:11 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21
I understand where you are coming from, but I guess i didn't feel like ignoring a bad performance on the largest stage because of her name, I guess I didn't feel like sugarcoating it because of her name
No, you should not sugar coat your feelings, I absolutely agree with you there. I just feel that she has earned a lot of respect in her career, and the American Idol comment may have been below the belt. Even if it was non-intentional.

It's my opinion that given the fact that she is 66 years old now, and has already proven her talent over the last 40 years, she deserves a pass for a less than stellar performance. She is not some karaoke singer on a tv show, she is a living legend. Also, I think it's only fair as a performer myself to mention how difficult it is to sing in a setting of that environment and magnitude. Being outside can be an audio engineers nightmare, and cold air does not help the vocal chords. Did I mention she is 66 years old? I viewed her performance largely as symbolic, and something that just seemed like the right thing to do in relativity to the election of our first black president, and how much Aretha Franklin has meant to the black community, not as something was going to be the performance of a lifetime.

Again, I'm not trying to debate something that is a non-issue. I am just explaining my view.