Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 01-23-2009, 04:22 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
Whoa whoa whoa

Aretha Franklin is the queen of soul and highly regarded not only in all circles of music, but especially in the African-American community. I think her performance was very meaningful and she deserved to be there. You could tell just watching some of the older black people crowd how much it meant to them to see her singing at the ceremony when our first black president is being sworn into office. Even I was moved, and I personally think all the gala that surrounds the inauguration is bit excessive as it is.

That being said, so what if her skills have diminished somewhat? I certainly would not take anything away from her talent, nor would I compare her to contestants on some two-bit teeny-bopper show like American Idol.

Done ranting now
I didn't even come close to saying she didn't sing well and didn't deserve to be there, i think you misinterpreted my post...I simply said, her performance THAT DAY was rather dreadful
Old 01-23-2009, 04:45 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21
I didn't even come close to saying she didn't sing well and didn't deserve to be there, i think you misinterpreted my post...I simply said, her performance THAT DAY was rather dreadful
I did not think it was that bad. She just sounded old, like most singers who get old.

I meant nothing by it, but I guess I just did not understand the American Idol comparison.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco

One thing I like about him is he has the ability to inspire patriotism something this country has lacked for many years.

Disagree there.. No matter the leader, I will always love and stand up for my country.

Many people feel that way. Like the Bush years or not.. it's still Amercia.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
My worry is he's going to be indanger because of his colour aswell as loved for it. I hope he gets the opportunity to run for a second office...cant tell you how many people at work think...well that someone will try to kill him in the next four years.

I would really like to think that most people are behind "There is a homie in office" crap.. but there are some I am sure that I going to leave the country.. (sorry for Canada.. and they won't go to Mexico - too many greasers).... and I am willing to be that there are a few tools.. praticing their marksmanship...
Old 01-23-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
I felt bad watching/hearing Aretha sing. She just looked/sounded like a bad stereotype!

nah.. more monolithic...
Old 01-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker
Disagree there.. No matter the leader, I will always love and stand up for my country.

Many people feel that way. Like the Bush years or not.. it's still Amercia.
I aggree. Its almost like he compensates...I think that what he's done is say what other Presidents assumed the citizens already realized.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:41 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
I did not think it was that bad. She just sounded old, like most singers who get old.

I meant nothing by it, but I guess I just did not understand the American Idol comparison.
like you know the audition part of american idol, where the good ones get through and the slightly average ones don't...well the aretha of old would have get 4 yes and your through to hollywood...with her performance at the inauguration, i doubt she would get a single yes if her name wasn't aretha franklin
Old 01-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Stump Rules!

She talked about it on TV saying that because it was so cold she couldnt stay on key and it was the most embarrassing thing.She said she felt horrible and I felt sorry for her.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 01-23-2009, 10:27 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21
like you know the audition part of american idol, where the good ones get through and the slightly average ones don't...well the aretha of old would have get 4 yes and your through to hollywood...with her performance at the inauguration, i doubt she would get a single yes if her name wasn't aretha franklin
I understand what you were saying, what I did not understand is WHY you said it. I get that her performance was not "on par", but realistically, it was not THAT bad, and her name IS Aretha Franklin. Without singers like her, who basically built the foundation for what music in America is today, we would not even have shows like American Idol. That was my point.

Like I said, I meant nothing by it, I was just ranting. It's not like I am singling you out cuz your a Cubs fan
Old 01-23-2009, 10:51 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
I understand what you were saying, what I did not understand is WHY you said it. I get that her performance was not "on par", but realistically, it was not THAT bad, and her name IS Aretha Franklin. Without singers like her, who basically built the foundation for what music in America is today, we would not even have shows like American Idol. That was my point.

Like I said, I meant nothing by it, I was just ranting. It's not like I am singling you out cuz your a Cubs fan
I understand where you are coming from, but I guess i didn't feel like ignoring a bad performance on the largest stage because of her name, I guess I didn't feel like sugarcoating it because of her name