Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 01-22-2009, 10:43 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
but other then that...but she makes me laugh whatever she sings...unfortunatley its hard to perform and sound good live and OUTSIDE...that might be why she sounded so bad...either that or it really just wasnt poor Barack Obamas day
Aretha Franklin is OLD man, but she is an awesome singer. She is one of the greatest singers in American history.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
all those are sung in the right circles.

...You cant beat Land of Hope and Glory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5JJ4l2u5uI (thats a gift for you Jon)

Ha ha i just went and played Jerusalem!

Its not that i dont support the Royals, i do but its just its such an uninspring antional anthem. Like at a fierce sporting event, it just does nothing. Which really bothers me!
Old 01-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion
Ha ha i just went and played Jerusalem!

Its not that i dont support the Royals, i do but its just its such an uninspring antional anthem. Like at a fierce sporting event, it just does nothing. Which really bothers me!
its often played tooooo sloooooooow. So it comes off sounding like a Durge...it also depends how its played. I mean when Her Majesty Elizabeth 2 came with her Entourage to Saint Paul's for important services, we would of course close with the Anthem. We'd have a set of Trumpets on the Quire Stall Balconies and they would do an Introduction, like a fanfare...and at the last note of the fanfare the Great Organ would resonate the base...and NO JOKE the whole woodwork would quake and rattle.

Its on tape on this video...dont watch the whole thing...fast forward to 6.30and just listen for the introduction and the Organ to kick in...that WAS powerful if you were standing behind the wooden pannels under the organ itself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9IN_uYB3GA
Old 01-22-2009, 11:03 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
Aretha Franklin is OLD man, but she is an awesome singer. She is one of the greatest singers in American history.
indeed she is, but for the inauguration, I don't think she could have made it to Hollywood on american idol...maybe it was the cold, but she wasn't hitting her full octave range, i was actually cringing in parts of the song
Old 01-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21
indeed she is, but for the inauguration, I don't think she could have made it to Hollywood on american idol...maybe it was the cold, but she wasn't hitting her full octave range, i was actually cringing in parts of the song
Have any of you ever heard the Recessional based on the US National Anthem? Its designed obviously to be played at the end of some cerimony whilst everyone is leaving...its fantastic...but in the video it doesnt really begin until 2.30 its so clever as a postlude...and its very powerful indeed..a bit anglicized perhaps...but very clever. They should play it in Saint Paul's at the American Thanksgiving Service they host

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSodpVnQHH8
Old 01-22-2009, 11:45 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21
Whoa whoa whoa

Aretha Franklin is the queen of soul and highly regarded not only in all circles of music, but especially in the African-American community. I think her performance was very meaningful and she deserved to be there. You could tell just watching some of the older black people crowd how much it meant to them to see her singing at the ceremony when our first black president is being sworn into office. Even I was moved, and I personally think all the gala that surrounds the inauguration is bit excessive as it is.

That being said, so what if her skills have diminished somewhat? I certainly would not take anything away from her talent, nor would I compare her to contestants on some two-bit teeny-bopper show like American Idol.

Done ranting now
Old 01-22-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
Whoa whoa whoa

Aretha Franklin is the queen of soul and highly regarded not only in all circles of music, but especially in the African-American community. I think her performance was very meaningful and she deserved to be there. You could tell just watching some of the older black people crowd how much it meant to them to see her singing at the ceremony when our first black president is being sworn into office. Even I was moved, and I personally think all the gala that surrounds the inauguration is bit excessive as it is.

That being said, so what if her skills have diminished somewhat? I certainly would not take anything away from her talent, nor would I compare her to contestants on some two-bit teeny-bopper show like American Idol.

Done ranting now
Yes, she is!

R-E-S-P-E-C-T....give it to "her"!!!
Old 01-23-2009, 12:17 AM
medic92

I'd be a lot more comfortable with Obama if he had accomplished anything, and I mean ANYTHING as an Illinois senator. Other than make a few speeches and claim to be the agent of change, I haven't seen anything of merit from him. Furthermore, his claims of ending "business as usual" and "change" would be a lot more believable if he hadn't just spent the last two months building his cabinet and advisers by recycling the same people from the last twenty years who got us into this mess in the first place.

I'm willing to give him a chance, I'll support him and pray for him, but he's going to have to do a lot more than talk a good game. I only hope he will.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:34 AM
que

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
As a Canadian, I am very proud of you my American friends. Finally, you have elected someone of merit who can lead your great nation into the success that it deserves. For too long you have been lead by sub-par leaders with only themselves as their agenda. You now have a selfless leader who can bring his great values to the Capitol of your Nation. These next Eight Years under the watch of the Great Barack Obama, your country will flourish and be an example to the rest of the world how a country in the free-world should be run.

God Bless America
we won't know if he will make a great president until we are able to sit down and examine his performance on the last day of his 4/8 year term. only then will we know if he was shyte or great.

but i will admit... so far he has the right ideas. the only question is, will he be able to pull it off in the end. we will see.

on a lighter note, he has given this entire country something it hasn't had for over a decade: inspiration and hope. that is something we desperately needed to be able to progress as a people. God Bless America indeed.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:17 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

I felt bad watching/hearing Aretha sing. She just looked/sounded like a bad stereotype!