Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 02-28-2010, 06:18 AM
Garandshooter

Default Promise rings

For each of my two girls, I gave them promise rings for their 13th birthdays. I also picked out a scripture for their lives, and prayed for a blessing on them. Now in a few months I'll be doing the same thing for my son, but a ring seems to feminine for me. I'm considering buying him a gun, to represent his maturity. I would also like to get him something as a reminder of the promise of purity that he'll be making to God, his mother and I, and his future wife. Any ideas?
Old 02-28-2010, 06:47 AM
Rev

That is awesome man! Get him a ring and a necklace (chain) to keep the ring on for his future wife.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:23 AM

I strongly disagree that rings are feminine. I have several signet rings and they are prized possessions for me. I will be passing them on to my son. You can custom design a signet ring with whatever you want on it. For example, you can put a family crest, a religious symbol, etc. Here is a link to a company http://www.familysealrings.com/index.html

Here are some examples of signet rings that are anything but feminine:

Old 02-28-2010, 02:21 PM

I agree that a ring can actually be very masculine. It would be something that he could wear on a chain if it doesn't suit him to wear it on his finger. It would be a great way to start an heirloom in you family. he could pass it down to his son one day (and so on). Most jewelry stores have a great selection of rings for men that are very cool. you could put a family crest on it ot the scripture and a cross on it.
I like the ring idea.

[
Old 02-28-2010, 02:30 PM
Stump Rules!

I vote on the ring.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 02-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Silverback

So you take your name from a rifle, so I take it you like gun's, I have four boys and I will tell you what everyone said when I put that question to them, ring or gun, what do you think Dad, gun,gun,gun, and gun. So put us down for 5 votes for gun, and have something put on the gun from you to you son. And if he would like a ring later on down the road, he could use the gun to rob the ring shop, ONLY KIDDING.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:10 PM
Garandshooter

Playtheman I never thought of that style of ring. Perhaps I could get him a Magnum PI ring. hahaha Thanks for the imput.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandshooter View Post
For each of my two girls, I gave them promise rings for their 13th birthdays. I also picked out a scripture for their lives, and prayed for a blessing on them. Now in a few months I'll be doing the same thing for my son, but a ring seems to feminine for me. I'm considering buying him a gun, to represent his maturity. I would also like to get him something as a reminder of the promise of purity that he'll be making to God, his mother and I, and his future wife. Any ideas?
I think you should still get him a ring, but get him a male ring. Rings are not just for females, if you are married, doubtless you will wear a wedding band as a male.

Now Rings in the Church are about Offices. One of the Vestments of a Bishop is he ring, and on the end of the Ring is whats known as "The Episcopal Seal" the end of the ring is designed to be dipped in wax and used as an imprinting plate on the seal of envilopes.

I wonder if you can get him something like that, a Seal that is basically a ring...or vice versa.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Garandshooter

actually I stopped wearing my wedding ring years ago. I'm an electrician by trade and gold is an excellent conductor. I have my wifes name tatto'd on my finger.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Black Mamba

I think giving a ring to your son isn't girly at all. Like someone said, if he wants to, he can put that ring through a necklace instead.

I think it's a very admirable trait for a guy to wait. I only know ONE straight guy who's waiting until he gets married, and he's 24 going on 25. I know another one, but I think he's a gay because he never talks about nor looks at chicks. I've always found society's views on men who wait/don't wait and women who wait/don't wait very interesting. It's ok for a man not to wait, but if it a woman doesn't wait then she's a slut. But then if a woman waits, then something is wrong with her. And if a guy waits, then peeps think he won't know what to do in the bedroom. Personally, I expect about 99.99% of the guys I meet not to be a virgin, but that's not the deciding factor when it comes down to if I'll date a dude or not.