Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 02-28-2010, 06:03 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Historically, colleges in the US were "white"; yes, there are black-founded colleges but whites are not barred from attending them. Look here:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_60041426/
lol
4 of 106 black colleges.

But its good to know whites are not barred from attending.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:22 PM

This whole incident was a not an act of racial intimidation but a complete hoax. The noose was made and left in the library by a female minority student. I wonder if the people that rushed the admin building with handkerchiefs on their faces will apologize . . . I won't hold my breath.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,5953265.story

Quote:
The campus paper publishes an anonymous letter by a minority student who calls the incident 'a mindless act and stupid mistake.'

By Larry Gordon

The UC San Diego student reportedly responsible for hanging a noose last week in a campus library issued a public, but anonymous, apology Monday and said she had no racist motivation.

The noose's discovery set off protests at a school that is already tense from recent racially charged episodes and triggered condemnations from UC leaders and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

In a letter published Monday on the front page of the UC San Diego student newspaper, the Guardian, the student wrote that the incident was "a mindless act and stupid mistake" and was not meant to recall the lynching of blacks.

"As a minority student who sympathizes with the students that have been affected by the recent issues on campus, I am distraught to know that I have unintentionally added to their pain," the student wrote. She was suspended Friday and remains under investigation for a possible hate crime.

The letter is signed "Anonymous UCSD Student" and offers no clues about her identity or ethnicity.

Sari Thayer, the Guardian's Web editor, said in an interview that the woman had asked the paper to publish the letter and that "a reliable source" confirmed its authenticity.

The woman wrote that she and friends had been playing with the rope early last week, making a lasso and then a noose.

She said that she took it to the library Tuesday, strung it above a desk and forgot about it. Its discovery Thursday night caused a firestorm on campus, where tensions were high after a Feb. 15 off-campus party that mocked Black History Month.

A campus official declined to comment on the letter and said that university police continue to investigate the incident.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

This whole thread is really bizzare to me

I dont understand why anyone would think the colour of a person makes the slightest bit of difference. The colour is simply a skin pigmentation, which probably originated purely as a reaction to sunlight.

I also find it strange that anything remotely non white is labled "black" they go on about Barack Obama being black...but I've seen him, and to me he doesnt look that dark at all...there are people who work in ASDA who are african, and they are pure black in colour...stand them next to a black American, and it makes the American look positively white.

The whole issue seems strange to me, when its quite obvious that the colour of someones skin has about as much effect on their being as the colour of the clothes they wear...could you imagine someone being persecuted because they wore blue jeans or something

There are parts of racial descrimination that I understand...but I have never understood the ones based on meloline levels in skins cells...to me its...absured
Old 03-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post

I dont understand why anyone would think the colour of a person makes the slightest bit of difference. The colour is simply a skin pigmentation, which probably originated purely as a reaction to sunlight.

I also find it strange that anything remotely non white is labled "black" they go on about Barack Obama being black...but I've seen him, and to me he doesnt look that dark at all...there are people who work in ASDA who are african, and they are pure black in colour...stand them next to a black American, and it makes the American look positively white.

The whole issue seems strange to me, when its quite obvious that the colour of someones skin has about as much effect on their being as the colour of the clothes they wear...could you imagine someone being persecuted because they wore blue jeans or something

There are parts of racial descrimination that I understand...but I have never understood the ones based on meloline levels in skins cells...to me its...absured
I love your innocence Dave!!
Old 03-02-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
This whole incident was a not an act of racial intimidation but a complete hoax. The noose was made and left in the library by a female minority student. I wonder if the people that rushed the admin building with handkerchiefs on their faces will apologize . . . I won't hold my breath.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,5953265.story

Thanks for the update, PTM, I'm glad it turned out that way. Much ado about nothing, eh?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Buzzard

Quote:

Please tell us all what "meloline" is.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:53 PM
atomdanger

Quote:

You'd have to spend some time in white and black america,
to maybe get a better understanding.

A lot of it comes from steretypes, but blacks are something like 15 percent of the US population,
while making up over 50 percent of prison population.
So, a lot of whites think of them as nothing but trouble.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Please tell us all what "meloline" is.
its a chemical that causes the skin to change colour, it can be triggered by the sun, or levels of it can be passed down genetically. I think its a way of trying to protect the skin from sunlight...which is why those who are desert dwellers often have the darkest colour skin, they have the most of that substance.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:11 PM
County Mike

Quote:
its a chemical that causes the skin to change colour, it can be triggered by the sun, or levels of it can be passed down genetically. I think its a way of trying to protect the skin from sunlight...which is why those who are desert dwellers often have the darkest colour skin, they have the most of that substance.

I thought it was called melanin.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
You'd have to spend some time in white and black america,
to maybe get a better understanding.

A lot of it comes from steretypes, but blacks are something like 15 percent of the US population,
while making up over 50 percent of prison population.
So, a lot of whites think of them as nothing but trouble.
well I talk to alot of black coloured fighters online....if that counts like my Favourite Suckerpunch Fighter outside of Jens Pulver, is Levon Maynard, he's Black, and I remember I got on extremely well with a guy at the HIT Squad when I visited called Cortez Coleman, I have an interview with him infact. There is always Antwain Britt ....But Anthony Morrison...now he is something to be observed...always going on about "cheese steak" whatever that might be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auEILllgSnQ

Then there is of course Cheick Kongo who I have met over here ...and there is also Mackens Semerzier, whose name I can never seem to pronounce correctly no matter how many times I try

ohh and LC Davis...I nearly forgot all about him

The black guys at work, they dont really speak much...one of them I dont care for because he's a numptie, and one of them seems petrified of speaking to anyone he doesnt know.

Now Black Women...I know lots about. I used to live with Several. this was in the Lay Community at Saint Paul's Cathedral...there was Kim, she was from Trinidad...she got married to Silvero Da Silva Eventually. But the person I really got on well with was Stella Kisitu, She was African. Then at University (which was actually before) I got involved with a Gospel church for a while, I knew Phylis Jordan from Meso America...if you have ever watched or know of the adverts that used to have "the Lilt Ladies" in it....she was like that, rotunde, always laughing, and Martins friend called Toyin Ogunjimo, she was from Africa...and my word could she ever sing. I have never heard anyone sing like that except off of records. A vocal delight