Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 02-27-2010, 03:20 PM
jason2130

wanna know how to stop racist kids from haveing nooses around?

when i was in school it was fairly common to see a noose with racist implications, my senior year goth kids started putting mini ones up on their rear view mirrors and no self respecting racist wanted to be called goth so it stopped almost over night
Old 02-27-2010, 04:03 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2130 View Post
wanna know how to stop racist kids from haveing nooses around?

when i was in school it was fairly common to see a noose with racist implications, my senior year goth kids started putting mini ones up on their rear view mirrors and no self respecting racist wanted to be called goth so it stopped almost over night
I lol'd
Old 02-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
It's funny how this gets completely swept under the rug, but somebody puts up a noose on a college campus when we have a black President and suddenly everyone is up in arms. Kind of a double standard if you ask me.
I call BS. Remember this incident when Bush was in office.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3580350&page=1
Old 02-27-2010, 06:24 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
anyone can attend a black college
There is a horrible double standard in today's society and just because white people can attend black colleges, it doesn't make it any different.

Mamba raised the point about a low percentage of blacks at UCSD. What are the percentage of white people at black colleges? I am gonna guess it's about the same for the most part, but you don't hear widespread outcry labeling those black colleges as "racist". If a college were to label itself a "white college" or "historically white college", Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would be leading a giant protest in the streets.

The noose thing is just stupid though, you are always gonna have ignorant people no matter where you are.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
There is a horrible double standard in today's society and just because white people can attend black colleges, it doesn't make it any different.

Mamba raised the point about a low percentage of blacks at UCSD. What are the percentage of white people at black colleges?
You must have missed my link in #9, JB.

But your points are hitting home. I think there is a double standard too. You'd never see White Entertainment Television (WET, tee hee). But it would never happen! What about the Rooney Rule? Is that fair to ALL minorities? Should it be implemented for college coaching positions? I know it is about addressing injustices in hiring practices but what about the best person for the job and the right of an employer to hire who they want?

It's all so complicated. I believe in righting wrongs but some means don't always justify the ends, do they?

I think an egregious example of the double standard was when the torture/murder of this Knoxville couple was not branded a "hate crime". The police chief said it wasn't racially motivated; then what IS the benchmark for a hate crime? When I first heard of it I didn't even believe such a crime could happen in the US. Not for weak stomachs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders...stopher_Newsom

I think people on both sides of the racial divide are politically correct and that's why we can't have real meaningful "dialogue" about it. I also think there's lots of anger on both sides.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:22 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

You know I thought Asians were a Racial minority in America! Admittedly they tend to be more admired and respected than some other races. As for the noose thing. If it was hung as a form of intimidation,threat or some such then that should be unacceptable no matter what race it's aimed at!
Old 02-27-2010, 09:42 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
You must have missed my link in #9, JB.

But your points are hitting home. I think there is a double standard too. You'd never see White Entertainment Television (WET, tee hee). But it would never happen! What about the Rooney Rule? Is that fair to ALL minorities? Should it be implemented for college coaching positions? I know it is about addressing injustices in hiring practices but what about the best person for the job and the right of an employer to hire who they want?

It's all so complicated. I believe in righting wrongs but some means don't always justify the ends, do they?

I think an egregious example of the double standard was when the torture/murder of this Knoxville couple was not branded a "hate crime". The police chief said it wasn't racially motivated; then what IS the benchmark for a hate crime? When I first heard of it I didn't even believe such a crime could happen in the US. Not for weak stomachs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders...stopher_Newsom

I think people on both sides of the racial divide are politically correct and that's why we can't have real meaningful "dialogue" about it. I also think there's lots of anger on both sides.
Sorry, I did miss that link.

The Newsome/Christian murders is one of the craziest things I have ever heard of. I agree, the media should have given it more appropriate coverage, and Michelle Malkin was the only one who pointed it out in the MSM and she did it as a guest host of the O'reilly Factor.

However, to be fair, there was a very racist element to that story from the other side of the racial line. A lot of white power websites spread false rumors about the details of the crime to stir up hate. There were even fake websites set up that purported that they were murdered as a sacrifice to some African Sun-God or some crap. Totally ridiculous and totally tasteless. Like I said before, you are always gonna have ignorant people no matter where you are or where the people come from.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:14 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Sorry, I did miss that link.

The Newsome/Christian murders is one of the craziest things I have ever heard of. I agree, the media should have given it more appropriate coverage, and Michelle Malkin was the only one who pointed it out in the MSM and she did it as a guest host of the O'reilly Factor.

However, to be fair, there was a very racist element to that story from the other side of the racial line. A lot of white power websites spread false rumors about the details of the crime to stir up hate. There were even fake websites set up that purported that they were murdered as a sacrifice to some African Sun-God or some crap. Totally ridiculous and totally tasteless. Like I said before, you are always gonna have ignorant people no matter where you are or where the people come from.
agreed 100%
Old 02-27-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Like I said before, you are always gonna have ignorant people no matter where you are or where the people come from.
Right on.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:55 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Historically, colleges in the US were "white"; yes, there are black-founded colleges but whites are not barred from attending them. Look here:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_60041426/
I got a chance to read this article now, and that's very interesting, but not totally surprising given some of the factors they list. I would also think that some other factors not listed likely play a role in the increase of white enrollment in historically black colleges.

Still, that article does say a few things that stand out to me.

Number one, it is only referencing four schools out of the 106 historically black colleges, which translates to under 1%.

Number two is that the President of the United Negro College Fund basically pitches the black colleges as "high-quality bargains". That alone speaks volumes, and given how expensive it has become to attend major universities it's no surprise that enrollment at schools that are less expensive is up over the last 30 years.

Number three is the most blatant and obvious part of the article, which I think also speaks volumes to the bigger issue we are discussing here....
Quote:
While some experts say the increase in diversity of Black colleges is a sign that they are successfully competing with other institutions, others fear that the heritage and mission of Black schools may be jeopardized if fewer and fewer Blacks attend.
Now, I don't have a problem with that whatsoever. I agree, if less black people go to black colleges, that kinda defeats the purpose. However, let's not beat around the bush, this is where the double standard comes into play. This would not be so easily accepted if the shoe were on the other foot and these were "historically white colleges". Also, it wouldn't only be blacks or other "minorities" protesting, there would be plenty of white people up in arms as well.

Before somebody misinterprets what I am saying, I want to be clear that I have no problem with black colleges or the UNCF. What I don't like is the blatant double standards that exist in society when it comes to issues of race. Yes, racism exists to varying degrees in all cultures and groups and it ALWAYS will. However, I think sometimes even intelligent and rational people end up getting dragged down to a lower level of thought based solely on personal pride and raw emotion when the issue of race gets brought up.

Here in America, ANYBODY can be successful, and that is one of the things that makes this the best country in the world in my opinion. Sometimes when these types of things happen and some ignorant moron does something stupid, we tend to forget that. We forget that this is NOT the same country it was 50 years ago. Letting the isolated actions of morons get to us only sets the progress that has been made, back.