And put in the
Memorial museum in Fort Hood , TX

The statue
Was created by
an Iraqi
Artist named Kalat,
Who for years was forced by
Saddam Hussein to make the many hundreds
Of bronze busts of Saddam that dotted Baghdad ..

Kalat was so
Grateful for the Americans liberation of his country;

He melted 3 of the heads of the fallen
Saddam and made the statue as a memorial to the American soldiers

And their fallen
Warriors.

Kalat
Worked on this memorial night and day for several months.

To the right of the
Kneeling soldier is a small Iraqi girl giving the soldier comfort as he mourns the
Loss of his comrade in arms.

Do you
Know why we don't hear about this in the news?

Because it
Is heart warming
And
Praise worthy..

The media
Avoids it because it does not have the shock effect.

But we
Can do something about it.

We can
Pass this along to as many people as we can in honor of all our brave
Military who are making a difference.

And
Please pass this on!

Old 02-27-2010, 07:13 PM

Hi, Silverback, this is a good story but has been embellished somewhere down the line. I remembered because I had been sent this a couple years ago and checked it out on Snopes. Although the statue is indeed a tribute to our brave troops, the rest is quite cynical.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/kalat.asp

This is a good site for checking out stories passed on by email, they tend to take on a life of their own after a while!
Old 02-28-2010, 01:17 AM
Silverback

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Hi, Silverback, this is a good story but has been embellished somewhere down the line. I remembered because I had been sent this a couple years ago and checked it out on Snopes. Although the statue is indeed a tribute to our brave troops, the rest is quite cynical.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/kalat.asp

This is a good site for checking out stories passed on by email, they tend to take on a life of their own after a while!
I did some research on the email and couldnt find anything other then what you stated. And I tend to agree with the media statement. Thanks for the info and have bookmarked snopes, so in the future I will do my homework.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

it doesnt matter to me if the story is true or not...the moral is still one to think about.

The media will always go for extremes, and usually bad extremes get the aire time.

I am sure there are plenty of heartwarming tales in these warzones that we will never hear about...maybe thats bad...or maybe its alright, as maybe those soldiers deserve to share some private good times whilst on deployment also.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Silverback

Thanks Dave , sorta what I was thinking, my Uncle has been at Fort Hood forever, so its kinda close to my heart.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
Thanks Dave , sorta what I was thinking, my Uncle has been at Fort Hood forever, so its kinda close to my heart.
Your welcome. to me, outside of the church, the Military is the Highest possible calling for anyone. These people put themselves through a lot, mentally, physically, psychologically and emotionally, just to qualify. Then they are bound by strict laws and codes of conduct, then finally they are placed in some of the worlds hardest and most horrible places, at the behest of Governments, for reasons they, personally, may not aggree with, to perform impossible tasks, with no telling when that will end. Finally, they spend their time as best they can defending the freedom of those who they love back home, and attempting to make a difference to the majority of those at the location, they risk life and limb, sometimes their worlds are shattered through injury, sometimes, they dont come home except to eternal rest...but Jesus Christ himself said that Greater Love hath no man then to lay down his life for a friend.

Jesus did it. He risked his life by speaking of The Father, and they executed him for it, regardless of the fact in the eyes of the Law he was basically pronounced innocent. These service people who die, or get injured, or who just participate in any such way, are, whether they know it or not, following that example.

I am sure that there are bad things, I am sure that some of the officers abuse those in training, or abuse prisoners, we know this because the media wont shut up about it...fair enough, its wrong, they are fallen humans, they make mistakes...but I'm damn sure that there is more good that happens then bad, goodness which isnt reported because its figured that noone cares, which is lalso quite wrong indeed...but regardless...those who give and recieve...they know it happens...speak to any Ex-Forces, and ask them, I am perfectly sure they can tell you of good things, happy memories, etc.

so for me...its about the moral of the tale...it may be completely fake...but that in itself tells you something...thats someone obviously felt the need to author something positive rather then just negative. I think that should be what we contemplate from this