Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 02-25-2010, 07:12 AM

Default NHS Hospital Patients Left In Their Own Filth

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-patients.html

Quote:
Not a single official has been disciplined over the worst-ever NHS hospital scandal, it emerged last night.

Up to 1,200 people lost their lives needlessly because Mid-Staffordshire NHS Trust put government targets and cost-cutting ahead of patient care.

But none of the doctors, nurses and managers who failed them has suffered any formal sanction.

Indeed, some have either retired on lucrative pensions or have swiftly found new jobs.

Former chief executive Martin Yeates, who has since left with a 1million pension pot, six months' salary and a reported 400,000 payoff, did not even give evidence to the inquiry which detailed the scale of the scandal yesterday.

He was said to be medically unfit to do so, though he sent some information to chairman Robert Francis through his solicitor.

The devastating-report into the Stafford Hospital-shambles' laid waste to Labour's decade-long obsession with box-ticking and league tables.

The independent inquiry headed by Robert Francis QC found the safety of sick and dying patients was 'routinely neglected'. Others were subjected to ' inhumane treatment', 'bullying', 'abuse' and 'rudeness'.

The shocking estimated death toll, three times the previous figure of 400, has prompted calls for a full public inquiry.

Bosses at the Trust - officially an 'elite' NHS institution - were condemned for their fixation with cutting waiting times to hit Labour targets and leaving neglected patients to die.

But after a probe that was controversially held in secret, not a single individual has been publicly blamed.

The inquiry found that:

Patients were left unwashed in their own filth for up to a month as nurses ignored their requests to use the toilet or change their sheets;

Four members of one family. including a new-born baby girl. died within 18 months after of blunders at the hospital;

Medics discharged patients hastily out of fear they risked being sacked for delaying;

Wards were left filthy with blood, discarded needles and used dressings while bullying managers made whistleblowers too frightened to come forward.

Last night the General Medical Council announced it was investigating several doctors. The Nursing and Midwifery Council is investigating at least one nurse and is considering other cases.

Ministers suggested the report highlighted a dreadful 'local' scandal, but its overall conclusions are a blistering condemnation of Labour's approach to the NHS.

It found that hospital were so preoccupied with saving money and pursuit of elite foundation trust status that they 'lost sight of its fundamental responsibility to provide safe care'.

Health Secretary Andy Burnham accepted 18 recommendations from Mr Francis and immediately announced plans for a new inquiry, to be held in public, into how Department of Health and NHS regulators failed to spot the disaster.

But Julie Bailey, head of the campaign group Cure the NHS, condemned his response as 'outrageous' and backed Tory and Liberal Democrat demands for a full public inquiry into what went wrong.

Tory leader David Cameron said: 'We need openness, clarity and transparency to stop this happening again.' Gordon Brown described the scandal as a 'completely unacceptable management failure' and revealed that the cases of 300 patients are now under investigation.

He told MPs the Government was belatedly working on plans to 'strike off' hospital managers responsible for failures. The hospital could also lose its cherished foundation status.

Shadow Health Secretary Andrew Lansley said 'These awful events show how badly Labour has let down NHS patients. It should never again be possible for managers to put a tick in a box marked "target met" while patients are pushed off to a ward and left to die.'

The Francis probe was launched following a Healthcare Commission report on Stafford Hospital in March last year. It found that deaths at the hospital were 27 to 45 per cent higher than normal, meaning some 400 to 1,200 people died unnecessarily between 2005 and 2008.

Two weeks before the report's publication, the Trust's chief executive Martin Yeates was suspended. He eventually resigned in May after being offered 400,000 and a 1million pension pot.

The Francis report said staff numbers were allowed to fall 'dangerously low', causing nurses to neglect the most basic care. It said: 'Requests for assistance to use a bedpan or to get to and from the toilet were not responded to.

'Some families were left to take soiled sheets home to wash or to change beds when this should have been undertaken by the hospital and its staff.' Food and drink were left out of reach, forcing patients to drink water from flower vases.

While many staff did their best, Mr Francis said, others showed a disturbing lack of compassion to patients.

He added: 'I heard so many stories of shocking care. These patients were not simply numbers. They were husbands, wives, sons, daughters, fathers, mothers, grandparents. They were people who entered Stafford Hospital and rightly expected to be well cared for and treated.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0gX7Ffk7J
Old 02-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Tiz all true I'm afraid
Old 02-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
But, of course, this is just 1,200 isolated incidents and in no way reflects on the quality, or lack of quality, of socialized healthcare in the UK.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
But, of course, this is just 1,200 isolated incidents and in no way reflects on the quality, or lack of quality, of socialized healthcare in the UK.
its not that bad everywhere...but if you are old, then, yes, it could be a major issue, because you might not get the sort of attention you require and being elderly there is noone to make sure your attended to....also...there is a higiene problem at Hospitals in England....MRSA has been killing people who contract it FROM the hospital itself

I've only ever been in Hospital Thrice for myself as an invalid, the first was when I was born at Lincoln County Hospital in 1982, the second was when I had to have my appendix removed in Norwich General Hospital in 1993, and the final time was when I broke my fingers and went to Saint Thomas Hospital in London during 2005

Course iver been to the Hospital at other times, to visit my Gran whilst she was dying in Harrogate District Hospital in 2001, and when I visit Martin sometimes in either Bransley General, or Sheffield (there are two hospitals in sheffield and he sorta works at both, though obviously not exactly at the same time )

I also saw a child psychologist, well, two, at two different times, those were at the hospital in Lincoln, and I saw a counsellor, for a string of sessions, and believe it or not I had a string of sessions with a physiotherapist also

I try not to get ill and after today, I loath having to pay for other people who are ill also
Old 02-26-2010, 11:59 PM
bradwright

Quote:
thats a product of greed Nate....it happens in some degree in every country in the world....its just in this instance its just way to concentrated to ignore but it doesnt mean it isn't happening every where else in the world as well.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
thats a product of greed Nate....it happens in some degree in every country in the world....its just in this instance its just way to concentrated to ignore but it doesnt mean it isn't happening every where else in the world as well.
Greed? But I thought that was only caused by capitalism and free markets?

This simply proves one point: if we socialized our healthcare in the United States, then we would not have many of the problems that we have right now.... we would have a completely new set of problems and would be no better off than we are right now.

We would just be trading one flawed system for another flawed system, and giving up our liberty in the process. This is the simplest reason to oppose ANY FORM of government run healthcare.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:00 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
its not isolated, their system is not perfect, but our system is atrocious
Old 02-27-2010, 01:04 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Greed? But I thought that was only caused by capitalism and free markand giving up our liberty in the process.
what liberties exactly? The liberty to pay tens of thousands of dollars to be healthy, the liberty to sit in waiting rooms for hours on end just to receive treatment, the liberties to be turned away healthcare because you do not have insurance, or the better yet, the liberty to be refused healthcare FROM your insurance company because they are looking for every opportunity to steal your money and not hold up there end of the bargain....Some liberties huh?
Old 02-27-2010, 01:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21 View Post
its not isolated, their system is not perfect, but our system is atrocious
Which is why the Canadian Premier, Danny Williams came to America for his heart surgery:

Quote:
An unapologetic Danny Williams says he was aware his trip to the United States for heart surgery earlier this month would spark outcry, but he concluded his personal health trumped any public fallout over the controversial decision.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...Yz_6_b-gsGGDxA

Of course, he only came here because our quality of healthcare here in America is so atrocious.

Quote:
what liberties exactly? The liberty to pay tens of thousands of dollars to be healthy, the liberty to sit in waiting rooms for hours on end just to receive treatment, the liberties to be turned away healthcare because you do not have insurance, or the better yet, the liberty to be refused healthcare FROM your insurance company because they are looking for every opportunity to steal your money and not hold up there end of the bargain....Some liberties huh?
Wow, I could spend all day dissecting the ignorance displayed in your post. Can you think for yourself, or are you only able to parrot Liberal talking points?

Do you honestly believe that Obamacare will make healthcare in America cheaper? That is will eliminate waiting times for healthcare and allow every American to be treated for every ailment instantly and equally? That's so naive, it's kind of sad. Obamacare will do none of that and it will make costs skyrocket because it's simply a bailout for the insurance companies, nothing more.

Are you an American? How old are you? It's sad that you would have so little respect for the liberty that so many Americans have fought and died to preserve and protect for you. If the 21 in your username is a reference to your age, then I would say that it is sad, but not unexpected from your generation. Because you clearly don't even know what the words "liberty" and "freedom" mean.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:44 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
How much money do you think you will be paying for everything else if we have to hike taxes to pay for national health care?

How long do you think people in other countries who have national health care have to wait for treatment?

Yeah, we have problems with our system here in America, but a national system is not the answer.