Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 02-25-2010, 07:05 AM

Default Feminist "Theologian": Breast Should Replace The Cross

http://www.layman.org/News.aspx?article=26756

Quote:
Breast theology uplifted at Union seminary

By Parker Williamson, The Layman, Posted Thursday, February 18, 2010

Once honored for voicing substantive theology in the Reformed tradition, Union Theological Seminary’s 2010 Sprunt Lectures will feature a feminist speaker who favors replacing the cross with a lactating breast. The event will occur May 3-5 on the seminary’s Richmond, Va., campus. Union is one of 11 seminaries that are officially related to the Presbyterian Church (USA).

Sprunt Lecturer Margaret R. Miles is emerita professor of Historical Theology at the Graduate Theological Union in Berkley, Calif. Employing a title reminiscent of the denominationally sponsored Re-Imagining God Conference in 1993, Miles’ topic is “Revisioning Historical Theology.”

In “God’s love, mother’s milk,” a January 2008 article that appeared in The Christian Century, Miles argued that the use of the cross to symbolize God’s love was a latecomer to church history. An earlier and presumably more persuasive symbol of God’s love, she claims, was the virgin’s breast.

“Although theologians may have claimed that crucifixion scenes exhibited the extremity of God’s love for humans, it was scenes of the child sucking at the breast that spoke to people on the basis of their earliest experience,” she said. This symbol was replaced by the cross, argued Miles, when patriarchal Western Europeans “secularized the breast.”

Miles suggested that the cross is inappropriate as a symbol of God’s love because “it presents a violent act as salvific.”

“The equation of love with heroic violence and suffering is typically a male-centered perspective,” she argued, leading to her conclusion that “the value of the nursing breast as a symbol of God’s provision might need to be reconsidered in our own time … In societies in which violence is rampant on the street and in the media, the nursing virgin can perhaps communicate God’s love to people in a way that a violent image, the image of one more sacrificial victim, cannot.”

Miles received her bachelors and masters degrees from San Francisco State University, and a PhD from the Graduate Theological Union. Her publications include: Desire and Delight: A New Reading of Augustine’s “Confessions,” Carnal Knowing: Female Nakedness and Religious Meaning in the Christian and Postchristian West, Practicing Christianity: Critical Perspectives for an Embodied Spirituality, and Image as Insight: Visual Understanding in Western Christianity and Secular Culture.

Miles is not the first feminist speaker to be granted Sprunt lectureships. In 1997, the seminary invited Rosemary Radford Ruether to its podium, where she proceeded to call the resurrection of Jesus Christ “a myth created by males to assuage their own fear of death.” Ruether’s theology makes room for multiple deities that are encompassed into “the great womb within which all things, Gods and humans, sky and earth, humans and non-humans, are generated.”

Responding to critics of Union’s invitation to Ruether, then president of Union, Louis Weeks, called her “one of the pioneers in feminist theology.” That accolade brought a response from faculty theologian John H. Leith who said he was “dismayed” that Ruether had been invited to Union. “She is a person whose recent writings have denied every basic Christian doctrine from creation to redemption,” he said.

In 2009, the seminary hosted a performance of The Vagina Monologues, a 12-year-old play that is an icon of radical chic among many feminists.
If you attend a Presbyterian PCUSA Church, I would bet that some of your offering money is being funneled into garbage like this.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:01 AM
County Mike

I didn't read the whole thing. After a couple lines I only saw "blah blah blah".

Regardless, I have an opinion. I think breasts should replace a lot of things. Whatever she was talking about, I think I'm for it.

Bring on the breasts!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:07 PM
annamal

Wow. Highly inappropriate. The cross is good enough for me. I am not worshipping at the breast. Besides that would take the emphasis off the crucifixion and place it on the virgin mary. I don't worship anyone but God.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:31 PM
cubsfan47

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I didn't read the whole thing. After a couple lines I only saw "blah blah blah".

Regardless, I have an opinion. I think breasts should replace a lot of things. Whatever she was talking about, I think I'm for it.

Bring on the breasts!
[dirty_old_man]Say yes to the breasts.[/dirty_old_man]
Old 02-25-2010, 01:47 PM
KevinD

The cross is sacred. Its the focal point of the gospels and Christianity. It should be treated as such.
Perhaps jokes should be left for another thread.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:50 PM
County Mike

We're not making jokes about the cross. We're making jokes about this woman's stupid idea.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:58 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan47 View Post
[dirty_old_man]Say yes to the breasts.[/dirty_old_man]
Hey! He isn't old!

Old 02-25-2010, 01:59 PM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
The cross is sacred. Its the focal point of the gospels and Christianity. It should be treated as such.
Perhaps jokes should be left for another thread.
Yes, how dare a Christian make a joke.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:00 PM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post

Bring on the breasts!
Mike, it only gets worse as you go along.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:02 PM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
http://www.layman.org/News.aspx?article=26756

If you attend a Presbyterian PCUSA Church, I would bet that some of your offering money is being funneled into garbage like this.
This is just sad.

I suspect Nate might add, "Here is a few more perfect examples of why women shouldn't lead in the church."