Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 02-25-2010, 11:48 PM
atomdanger

I think the part that bothers me the most is the help for cash and food stamps is based on "need".

So a single mom who is working and trying her best and maybe has 1 kid,
or a person who just needs a little help and is struggling gets no help,
or very little help.
While a lady with 5 kids from 5 guys gets the most help,
because she "needs" the most.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:52 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
I think the part that bothers me the most is the help for cash and food stamps is based on "need".

So a single mom who is working and trying her best and maybe has 1 kid,
or a person who just needs a little help and is struggling gets no help,
or very little help.
While a lady with 5 kids from 5 guys gets the most help,
because she "needs" the most.
The system is not perfect, and the one thing I have seen over and over again when working with charity is that a LOT of the people getting help are not even getting enough money or food stamps to actually feed them and their families for the month.

In fact, that is MOST USED reason when people come to our charity asking for help. (we provide groceries, gift cards, and other forms of emergency help)
Old 02-26-2010, 12:02 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
I thought folks wanted a smaller government with less power. Why stop there, why not forcibly sterilize anyone the government deems unfit? Hello Big Brother.
First of all, why are you addressing Foxy as if she represents for the entire forum?

Secondly, she makes an excellent point about people who do abuse the system and keep having children when they cannot provide for the ones they have. Also, the state should not being paying for abortions, that is a no-brainer. The "slippery slope" argument is ridiculous and blatant pot-stirring.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Better solution. Do away with food stamps and only offer food. When I was a kid we lived on food stamps for a while and also got food from the government food program (I'm sure lots of other people remember the government cheese, peanut butter, etc. that used to be handed out).

If someone needs food, then they can go in at any time to collect a predetermined amount of food based on how many adults and children they have to feed for one week. They can only choose from the foods offered and get no money, certificates, credit cards, or stamps of any kind. They only get actual food (breads, milk, eggs, cheese, pastas, peanut butter, canned meats, cold cuts, butter.... or they could be prepackaged MRE style meals)

Of course, the food could theoretically be traded for alcohol or drugs, but it wouldn't be nearly as valuable. Because it doesn't need to be really high quality food. Just enough to keep people sustained while they seek employment or other methods of income. In other words, the food should not be so good that people would be willing to live off of it for more than a few weeks.

Also, this should be solely the jurisdiction of State governments. The Federal government should have no part in providing food for its citizens.

Government cheese was the best tasting cheese I've ever had in my life. No lie. The powdered milk was gross but mom used it to cook with and would often make biscuits with it and it worked out just fine. I also remember when dad was in the Army he would bring home MREs and we'd eat those when we went camping. There's nothing wrong with giving those out instead of money or debit cards or food stamps. It may even create jobs since we'd need a bigger production line of them and would help make it harder for the people who cheat the system.

~Amy
Old 02-26-2010, 01:30 AM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Better solution. Do away with food stamps and only offer food. When I was a kid we lived on food stamps for a while and also got food from the government food program (I'm sure lots of other people remember the government cheese, peanut butter, etc. that used to be handed out).

If someone needs food, then they can go in at any time to collect a predetermined amount of food based on how many adults and children they have to feed for one week. They can only choose from the foods offered and get no money, certificates, credit cards, or stamps of any kind. They only get actual food (breads, milk, eggs, cheese, pastas, peanut butter, canned meats, cold cuts, butter.... or they could be prepackaged MRE style meals)

Of course, the food could theoretically be traded for alcohol or drugs, but it wouldn't be nearly as valuable. Because it doesn't need to be really high quality food. Just enough to keep people sustained while they seek employment or other methods of income. In other words, the food should not be so good that people would be willing to live off of it for more than a few weeks.

Also, this should be solely the jurisdiction of State governments. The Federal government should have no part in providing food for its citizens.
I think that is what they do up here .. we are always donating to food banks and have never heard of food stamps ....
Old 02-26-2010, 04:03 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
First of all, why are you addressing Foxy as if she represents for the entire forum?
I didn't. If you read, I addressed the point made by Foxy about forced Depo injections and asked why stop there. Was it because I used the term "folks" when saying that I thought most "folks" wanted a smaller less intrusive government? Are you one of the "folks" who wants a bigger more intrusive government? How did you come to your conclusion, as I certainly stated no such thing. Am I now required to check in with you on how I post? If I was addressing the entire forum, I wouldn't have quoted Foxy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Secondly, she makes an excellent point about people who do abuse the system and keep having children when they cannot provide for the ones they have. Also, the state should not being paying for abortions, that is a no-brainer. The "slippery slope" argument is ridiculous and blatant pot-stirring.
Nowhere in my post did I say that the state should be paying for abortions. I agree that there are "folks" who do abuse the system. A Big Brother system of forced injections is not the path that I want taken. I made no such comment stating that if the Depo injections were forced, that it would lead to forced sterilization of anyone the government deemed unfit. I merely stated why stop there. You can put your spoon down now.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:11 AM
Chris F

Quote:
I didn't. If you read, I addressed the point made by Foxy about forced Depo injections and asked why stop there. Was it because I used the term "folks" when saying that I thought most "folks" wanted a smaller less intrusive government? Are you one of the "folks" who wants a bigger more intrusive government? How did you come to your conclusion, as I certainly stated no such thing. Am I now required to check in with you on how I post? If I was addressing the entire forum, I wouldn't have quoted Foxy.

Nowhere in my post did I say that the state should be paying for abortions. I agree that there are "folks" who do abuse the system. A Big Brother system of forced injections is not the path that I want taken. I made no such comment stating that if the Depo injections were forced, that it would lead to forced sterilization of anyone the government deemed unfit. I merely stated why stop there. You can put your spoon down now.
Buzzard is right. Forced injections is not constitutional nor is it the right thing to do. Better to just have a flat rate for help and if you have more kids that is your burden not the taxpayer. There are many charities out there that will see that your kids are fed. If you want more then MRE's then get a job and buy it. Fact is most food stamp people buy convenience stuff like frozen pizzas and the highest quality meats and steaks. SO this is the reason why they run out. If they shopped my frugally they wouls have more then enough to eat. I lived on less the 20.00 a month for groceries for 2 years so I know it can be done. Sure you eat a lot of ramen but I did what i had to do based on my job at the time.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
Buzzard is right. Forced injections is not constitutional nor is it the right thing to do.
I agree with Buzzard and ChrisF, I would NEVER under any circumstances accept the idea of forced sterilization of ANYONE based on their economic status. Never.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:39 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
You didn't have to Buzz. My point is that you lump everybody together around here.

BTW, did you post that list yet?

Quote:
I don't agree with what Foxy said when it comes to forced injections. I was just pointing out that she makes a good point when it comes to people who keep having kids when they can't provide for the kids they already have.

You made a "slippery slope" argument that I feel is weak. If you want to give a more detailed one, I will gladly respond accordingly.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:22 AM

They just had a story on our local news about a charity that was set up to distribute food to people who needed help. The charity was getting a lot of food from the Houston Food Bank. The only problem was people were being turned away by the folks running the charity because they said they didn't have any more food. Can you guess why they didn't have food for the people their charity was set up to help?

Yep, those fine folks who set up this particular charity would pick out the best stuff and distribute it amongst themselves. The news camera caught 'em on tape loading up their SUVs and cars, taking the stuff home and unloading it.