Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 02-24-2010, 07:40 PM
internationalharvester

Default Non-Racist Looney Tunes??????

Really? I mean really? why can't they just leave these things alone

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies....s-film-reuters

OS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Speedy Gonzales is taking his folk-hero status, incredible speed and signature red kerchief to the big screen, with help from George Lopez.

The comedian is attached to provide the voice of the fastest mouse in all Mexico for a politically correct live-action/CG hybrid feature set up at New Line Cinema.

The Looney Tunes character debuted in the 1950s as a regular nemesis of Sylvester the Cat. A 1955 short about the tiny hero, "Speedy Gonzales," won the Academy Award for best short subject, (cartoon). Pat Boone even released a hit song about the famous mouse in 1962.

Over the years, Speedy appeared in the live-action/animation features "Who Framed Roger Rabbit," "Space Jam" and "Looney Tunes: Back in Action." But the character has often courted criticism that the ethnic characterizations of him and his compatriots (especially lazy cousin Slowpoke Rodriguez) are stereotypically racist and severely outdated.

Aware of this, New Line and the producers plan to update the brand with a modernized sensibility.

"We wanted to make sure that it was not the Speedy of the 1950s -- the racist Speedy," said the comedian's wife Ann Lopez, who will serve alongside him as a producer. "Speedy's going to be a misunderstood boy who comes from a family that works in a very meticulous setting, and he's a little too fast for what they do. He makes a mess of that. So he has to go out in the world to find what he's good at."

That path becomes clearer once Speedy befriends a gun-shy race-car driver.

"Garfield" scribes Alec Sokolow and Joel Cohen will write the script
Old 02-24-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by internationalharvester View Post
Really? I mean really? why can't they just leave these things alone

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies....s-film-reuters

OS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Speedy Gonzales is taking his folk-hero status, incredible speed and signature red kerchief to the big screen, with help from George Lopez.

The comedian is attached to provide the voice of the fastest mouse in all Mexico for a politically correct live-action/CG hybrid feature set up at New Line Cinema.

The Looney Tunes character debuted in the 1950s as a regular nemesis of Sylvester the Cat. A 1955 short about the tiny hero, "Speedy Gonzales," won the Academy Award for best short subject, (cartoon). Pat Boone even released a hit song about the famous mouse in 1962.

Over the years, Speedy appeared in the live-action/animation features "Who Framed Roger Rabbit," "Space Jam" and "Looney Tunes: Back in Action." But the character has often courted criticism that the ethnic characterizations of him and his compatriots (especially lazy cousin Slowpoke Rodriguez) are stereotypically racist and severely outdated.

Aware of this, New Line and the producers plan to update the brand with a modernized sensibility.

"We wanted to make sure that it was not the Speedy of the 1950s -- the racist Speedy," said the comedian's wife Ann Lopez, who will serve alongside him as a producer. "Speedy's going to be a misunderstood boy who comes from a family that works in a very meticulous setting, and he's a little too fast for what they do. He makes a mess of that. So he has to go out in the world to find what he's good at."

That path becomes clearer once Speedy befriends a gun-shy race-car driver.

"Garfield" scribes Alec Sokolow and Joel Cohen will write the script
YIKES *Llama bolts over the horizon ala Seedy Gonzalez*

[
Old 02-25-2010, 10:51 AM
County Mike

Slowpoke Gonzales was hilarious.

I guess they'll have to revamp Yosemite Sam because he makes fun of rednecks. Oh wait, that's not racist because he's white.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:05 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Slowpoke Gonzales was hilarious.

I guess they'll have to revamp Yosemite Sam because he makes fun of rednecks. Oh wait, that's not racist because he's white.
wasn't it slowpoke rodriguez? yeah, classic stuff .. bottle of tequila and always wasted ...
Old 02-25-2010, 12:14 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
wasn't it slowpoke rodriguez? yeah, classic stuff .. bottle of tequila and always wasted ...
OH yeah, my bad. They all look the same to me.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:02 PM
Primadawn

Nooooooooo!!!! Speedy was my FAVORITE!!! Why are they screwing with him????? BAH!
Old 02-25-2010, 01:12 PM
County Mike

Old 02-25-2010, 01:52 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
OH yeah, my bad. They all look the same to me.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:10 PM
rearnakedchoke

i wonder if they are going to portray him working in a meticulous setting in Mexico, or jumping the border everyday ... if they want to make it real-life, that would be one way
Old 02-25-2010, 02:12 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post

i wonder if they are going to portray him working in a meticulous setting in Mexico, or jumping the border everyday ... if they want to make it real-life, that would be one way

Why is it okay to be racist with Mexicans? If you were stereo typing blacks people would be all up in here gnashing their teeth at your throat!