Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-25-2010, 12:28 AM
Chris F

I like that fight. I think Penn takes it but it would not be a one sidded affair.

What I would really like to see is BJ fight a dark horse who has heavy hands and has good takedown defense. Maybe someone like Matt Wiman.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:08 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
In a couple months BJ will be at WW for good I'm sure. so...
Agreed....

Baby Jay.. will try to go outside his "comfort zone"... again.. and get beat down again...

I am not a Baby Jay fan at all... But not one is going to stop him at LW.. WW.. not going to happen.. GSP/Hughes/Fitch.. there are too many for Baby Jay.. hell I don't think Baby Jay could beat Koz.......
Old 02-25-2010, 02:09 AM

And I will say it again...

The UFC is missing a "few things".. to get WAAAYYYY over the top...

One of them is more Catch Weight Fights....

No titles changing hands.... just "fan favs".. going at it!
Old 02-25-2010, 02:21 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
Agreed....

Baby Jay.. will try to go outside his "comfort zone"... again.. and get beat down again...

I am not a Baby Jay fan at all... But not one is going to stop him at LW.. WW.. not going to happen.. GSP/Hughes/Fitch.. there are too many for Baby Jay.. hell I don't think Baby Jay could beat Koz.......
I disagree.
I think being completely outsized and going 20 minutes with GSP before he had a conditioning coach said a lot.
I won't use the grease excuse, but the situation was shady.

If BJ moved to 170 he is a top 5 WW,
how many other people can say that about moving up a weight class?
Old 02-25-2010, 02:26 AM
rearnakedchoke

i don't think serra could make 155 unless he cut off a limb ... there first fight was close and coulda gone either way ... but serra would get beat in a rematch if he made weight
Old 02-25-2010, 03:58 AM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
But not one is going to stop him at LW..
Bollocks!
Frankie might.

WAR EDGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, don't forget there are more than 5 fighters in the LW division. Many of which have recently started in the UFC, Matt Veach for one. The lad is a beast

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 02-25-2010, 06:55 AM

This article was on MMA Mania about two weeks ago. http://www.mmamania.com/2010/2/10/13...o-welterweight

Quote:
Current UFC Lightweight Champion BJ Penn is set to defend his 155-pound title for the fourth time against a deserving but perhaps outmatched Frankie Edgar at UFC 112 on April 10 in Abu Dhabi.

If Penn manages to outlast "The Answer," which isn't a knock on Edgar to suggest that he will, "The Prodigy" has already vocalized his intentions of eventually returning to the UFC's 170-pound division.

Perhaps sooner rather than later.

While the prospect of "Penn vs. St. Pierre 3" elicits a collective groan from much of the mixed martial arts fan base, keep in mind that this is the same promotion that had no problem booking a third dance between Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz.

Dana White is open to the idea of the Hawaiian getting another crack at welterweight success, but even he acknowledges that Penn is going to have to work his way back into the upper echelon of 170-pound fighters to even be considered for a title shot.

To do that, he's got to win -- and win big. There are a couple of exciting match-ups that come to mind, including a brouhaha with Thiago Alves, but what about a rematch with Matt Serra?

Following "The Terror's" UFC 109 win over Frank Trigg, Serra striking guru Ray Longo tells Fight Magazine that it's practically a no-brainer.

Star-divide

"I'd love to see (Serra) fight BJ Penn if BJ wanted to come up in weight because obviously Serra can't get any lower. But I thought they had a great fight, I think it's an interesting fight because BJ will stand there with him I think. And they're both not going to go anywhere standing up now. Matt didn't really have the stand-up when he fought him the first time and the ground thing would be exciting. I think that's a really good fight and I'd like to see Matt now stay with the marquee names and some big fights."

Matt Serra was able to do something that Penn never could: He beat Georges St. Pierre. While "Rush" fans still can't stop seething over that 2007 loss, it does add a little more to the story, which never hurts when trying to hype a fight.

And if it's any consolation to the Penn faithful, he did something that Serra couldn't: He beat Matt Hughes.

The Long Islander took Penn to a decision when they first met at UFC 39 back in September 2002. Would things be different in 2010? Possibly, but if BJ Penn wants to come back and make some noise at 170 then he's going to have to start somewhere.

I for one would much rather see him mix it up on the ground and on the feet with Serra than play keep-away with the likes of Josh Koscheck or Jon Fitch.

You've heard my pick for first welterweight foe. What's yours?
Old 02-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Rev

The only hope Serra has is to keep it standing and pray for a big shot to land. Bj will pick him apart on the feet and destroy him on the ground. Look at the fights with Matt and you can see that.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Hughes fanboy

:(

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/

Last edited by Vizion; 02-25-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
Bollocks!
Frankie might.

WAR EDGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please remember.. I am no fan of Baby Jay's.. but to deny skills.. is very dumb...

As for Frankie being able to "Answer" Baby Jay....

Sig Bet?