Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-24-2010, 07:54 PM
suntereo

i've been thinking about this matchup as well. Serra is one of the few guys that COULD make 155 and put up an interesting fight. I agree with vision in that serra's bjj skill is as good however I dont think that would translate into bjj or mma win because BJ brings so much more to his bjj than just skill, the natural talent, flexibility and positional awareness just make him a different animal.

boxing - bj
ko power - serra (via counter punching makes him dangerous)
wrestling - serra (power)
bjj - bj
cardio - ?

I know were all tired of hearing it but it depends on which BJ shows up.
The Bj of late would batter serra to a convincing decisiion or late sub.
Serra by KO early would be worth the betting odds though.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Hughes fanboy

he has bigger muscles

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 02-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
i dont think Dana would just offer him a title shot. he would have to move down and win at least 2 fights before he got a title shot.
Oh def. He should beat at least 2 of the top contenders first.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntereo View Post
I know were all tired of hearing it but it depends on which BJ shows up.The Bj of late would batter serra to a convincing decisiion or late sub.Serra by KO early would be worth the betting odds though.
I don't think the current BJ would just simply batter Serra around like he did Joe Daddy, Sherk or Diego. Serra's one tough MO-FO and an intelligent fighter. Tho he lost to Matt he was constantly working on submission attempts whilst under his mount.

Diego was to BJ what Forrest was to Anderson Silva. Barbarism is not the key strategy for beating BJ. Power, technique, speed, accuracy etc...kinda like GSP who handed BJ his a$$. Serra is no GSP, yet the guys slugs hard enough to knock GSP out. Serra also has attitude. He isn't talking yet not believing. He is talking, believing and performing. He still thinks he beat Matt

Old 02-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
Diego was to BJ what Forrest was to Anderson Silva. Barbarism is not the key strategy for beating BJ. Power, technique, speed, accuracy etc...kinda like GSP who handed BJ his a$$. Serra is no GSP, yet the guys slugs hard enough to knock GSP out. Serra also has attitude. He isn't talking yet not believing. He is talking, believing and performing. He still thinks he beat Matt
Errrm excuse me but GSP beat Penn because he was a lot heavier and a lot greasier, end of.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Stump Rules!

Depends on which Penn shows up....HAHA just kidding....Penn by ass whoppin'!

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 02-24-2010, 09:43 PM
Hughes fanboy

Depends on which BJ - bollocks that!

Everybody makes excuses for BJ when he doesn't win. And yet, when his opponent loses no one makes excuses for them.

Diego v. BJ reminded me of those raucous Germanic tribes in the era of Casear. They shouted their "bar-bars" (as the Greeks would say) from above the treeline, yet when put to the test against the better Roman legions they collapsed. All bark and snarls.

Kenny v. BJ looked horrible. Kenny, a concentration camp survivor who stepped through some time portal from 1942, tried to apply the GSP strategy and take BJ down. Not a great idea when you are skeletal.

Sherk v. BJ was just what it was...Sherk had the least excuse IMO to lose. Don't know what really happened other than he was just the lesser fighter.

Joe Daddy v. BJ...who has "daddy" really beat, before, or since?? He looked great on the show tho. He's highly overrated IMO.

Jens v. BJ - I dare not speak ill of Jens lest Dave should weigh in on me

I say thee nay, BJ has yet to meet a proper challenge in an opponent. Despite the Serra-haters on this board I say thee who of these listed looked better 'gainst BJ than did the "Terra" (or is it "Terror??")

NONE I say!

can you tell I'm really bored today?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Miss Foxy

Bj all the way... He sure aint no blown out Trigg so Serra would get a whoopdown...
Old 02-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
I have to admit, Matt Serra impresses me as a fighter. I was thinking if he dropped to LW he could be a supreme challenge for BJ Penn? He has power in his hands, and is scrappy as all get out and is as good if not better than BJ at JJ.

thoughts??

Even if he dropped to Lightweight, which I believe he was once...he wouldnt be a match for Penn
Old 02-25-2010, 12:15 AM
atomdanger

In a couple months BJ will be at WW for good I'm sure. so...