Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-24-2010, 04:51 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
HUH???

At worst.. Mir is a top 5 HW... at WORST....

I don't see the first fight that way at all...

Frank made Brock tap.. and tap hard...

The second fight...

Brock knocked Frank silly with those canned hams that he calls hands...while crushing him under his wieght..

It's a 1 and 1 record for each..

If you want to say Mir was "saved".. you can easily say that Brock was saved from being DQed for the strikes to the head..

And I for one and really looking forward to a 3rd fight ..
I never said Mir didn't win, I said that most people feel like he got lucky, and the truth is that in a way, HE DID get lucky.

Yes, he caught Brock and, he did force him to tap. There is no denying that. However, that was a premature standup by Mazzagati and if the standup did not happen, Mir was seconds away from being pounded into submission or unconsciousness.

In the second fight he got beaten to a pulp, and Brock completely dominated him. I am not taking the fact that he won the first fight away from him, but to ignore the facts would be ridiculous. I think that 9 out 10 times, Brock Lesnar beats the crap out of Frank Mir. I think this was just Mir stirring the pot to drum up interest in a rubber match so he can make some money. It's the same reason he was calling out Anderson Silva.

Now, I will totally give credit to Mir as a fighter. He is a tough guy who is a very intelligent fighter with some of the best submissions in the whole HW division. However, Mir has had a rough, though short, career and I wouldn't say I think he is in a position right now to really make a run as champion. That's not to say that we won't see the rubber match with Lesnar, because it does make sense on some levels. The fact still remains that after what we saw in the first two fights, the rubber match is not really going to seem like a "pick em" to the fans. I don't doubt that the fight would sell, but I don't think it's the best fight that could be made, and I don't think the numbers would be much different for any other top HW opponent the UFC currently has on contract. Lesnar is the big draw, and he is the reason people will tune in once he comes back. Who he fights doesn't really matter at this point.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Am I the only one that likes Frank Mir? I like him, however his comment about Lesnar was way outta line..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
In the second fight he got beaten to a pulp, and Brock completely dominated him. I am not taking the fact that he won the first fight away from him, but to ignore the facts would be ridiculous. I think that 9 out 10 times, Brock Lesnar beats the crap out of Frank Mir. I think this was just Mir stirring the pot to drum up interest in a rubber match so he can make some money. It's the same reason he was calling out Anderson Silva.

Well.. 1 out of two times he didn't beat Mir.. so stands to reason.. if they fight 8 more times.. Brock won't win all eight..

Brock has a HUGE advantage in size..and is much more powerful... you can't argue that.. when he has Mir's level of skill.. he will be unstoppable..

and I personally think that if Mir could get inside of Silva's hands while avoiding the knees.. one take down and Mir would destroy Silva.. Mir would stand a good chance of beating Lyoto as well.. but Lyoto is too elusive from him..

Quote:
However, Mir has had a rough, though short, career and I wouldn't say I think he is in a position right now to really make a run as champion.

I don't think the numbers would be much different for any other top HW opponent the UFC currently has on contract. Lesnar is the big draw, and he is the reason people will tune in once he comes back. Who he fights doesn't really matter at this point.

OK,

Mir has a win over Brock.. who else does??? Who else would you say Frank needs to beat to secure the top spot? Cain?? He just fought.. Thought I would like to see that fight.. and WHEN Mir beats Brock.. I bet we see it REAL soon after...

Nog? been there, done that..

Heath Herring??? would be cool to see Mir put on a clinic...

Mir has lost to Vera.. should he have to face him again?? I don't think Vera could do it again
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Vizion's Avatar
Vizion Vizion is offline
Hughes fanboy
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Am I the only one that likes Frank Mir? I like him, however his comment about Lesnar was way outta line..
No, I like Mir too, he's actually one of my fav HW's. He said something very dumb, apologized, and now its time to move on.
__________________


Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
No, I like Mir too, he's actually one of my fav HW's. He said something very dumb, apologized, and now its time to move on.
agreed.
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-24-2010, 05:50 PM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,717
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
No, I like Mir too, he's actually one of my fav HW's. He said something very dumb, apologized, and now its time to move on.
Same here.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-24-2010, 06:11 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
Well.. 1 out of two times he didn't beat Mir.. so stands to reason.. if they fight 8 more times.. Brock won't win all eight..

Brock has a HUGE advantage in size..and is much more powerful... you can't argue that.. when he has Mir's level of skill.. he will be unstoppable..

and I personally think that if Mir could get inside of Silva's hands while avoiding the knees.. one take down and Mir would destroy Silva.. Mir would stand a good chance of beating Lyoto as well.. but Lyoto is too elusive from him..
So by your logic, if GSP and Matt Serra fought 8 more times, Matt Serra would win 4 of them?

Yes, Brock has a size advantage. This is the Heavyweight division, and that is part of the game. Brock may not have Mir's level of skill in BJJ, but Brock is definitely a better wrestler and his freakish power makes him a threat from anywhere.

I actually think a fight between Mir and Silva would be interesting, but I would definitely lean towards Silva catching Mir with something big and ending the fight. Just my opinion.


Quote:
OK,

Mir has a win over Brock.. who else does??? Who else would you say Frank needs to beat to secure the top spot? Cain?? He just fought.. Thought I would like to see that fight.. and WHEN Mir beats Brock.. I bet we see it REAL soon after...

Nog? been there, done that..

Heath Herring??? would be cool to see Mir put on a clinic...

Mir has lost to Vera.. should he have to face him again?? I don't think Vera could do it again
When I said Mir is not a position to make a run as the champion, I didn't mean he couldn't get a title shot. I just don't see him being able to beat guys like Brock or Cain, and there are some other guys who could give him some problems too.

Mir and Carwin are going to fight next month, so Mir has to get by him now. Still, I am not saying Mir has to beat anybody to get a fight with Brock. A rubber match is definitely a possibility regardless of the championship situation. It's not like the actual belt in the UFC HW division has any depth right now. It's been messed up since Randy decided to leave while he was still champ, then came right back and was declared champ over a year later. It's really a joke.

I honestly think Brock should have a tune-up fight before fighting Mir again, or anybody else in the top 5. He is coming back from a pretty serious illness that could have killed him, but again that's just my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-24-2010, 06:21 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
No, I like Mir too, he's actually one of my fav HW's. He said something very dumb, apologized, and now its time to move on.
I agree, the comment is not something that people should dwell on but, to be fair, the news of the apology is a day old and some criticism is to be expected.

What Mir said was dumb, and most fans know it's just hype, but that is still not the kind of publicity that the UFC is trying to draw to their brand or the sport of MMA.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
So by your logic, if GSP and Matt Serra fought 8 more times, Matt Serra would win 4 of them?
I just don't understand the logic that Brock beats Mir 9 of 10 times.

I really do loath Brock.. but he has some skills.. but discrediting Mir, when you look at his wins.. not really the right thing.




Quote:
When I said Mir is not a position to make a run as the champion, I didn't mean he couldn't get a title shot. I just don't see him being able to beat guys like Brock or Cain, and there are some other guys who could give him some problems too.
I don't see Shane giving Mir that much trouble.. I would rather see Shane "get injured" in training.. and put Cain up.. that would be a great fight...



Quote:
I honestly think Brock should have a tune-up fight before fighting Mir again, or anybody else in the top 5. He is coming back from a pretty serious illness that could have killed him, but again that's just my opinion.
It's hard to give him a tune up fight unless he is actually stripped of the belt.
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-24-2010, 07:25 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
I just don't understand the logic that Brock beats Mir 9 of 10 times.

I really do loath Brock.. but he has some skills.. but discrediting Mir, when you look at his wins.. not really the right thing.

It's a figure of speech, and a matter of opinion. The idea behind the phrase "9 out of 10 times" is that it implies something will happen more times than not. It's a phrase that is used in a figurative sense rather than the literal one you chose to apply to it. More times than not, Brock Lesnar is going to get all over Frank Mir and bash his face in. Just like more times than not GSP will destroy Matt Serra.

I am not trying to discredit Mir at all. I simply stated the facts about what happened in the first fight with Lesnar. As for where Mir goes from here and in the future in the HW division, it's just my opinion that I don't see him getting past guys like Lesnar or Cain. I think a part of Mir knows he can't take Brock, but he still wants to fight him again because weather he wins or loses he will still get a lot of money and lot of exposure at this point in his career.

Quote:
I don't see Shane giving Mir that much trouble.. I would rather see Shane "get injured" in training.. and put Cain up.. that would be a great fight...
Say what you want, but Shane is still threat to Mir, and that's who is next on the table for Frank to fight.

Quote:
It's hard to give him a tune up fight unless he is actually stripped of the belt.
What belt? The one that they are gonna hand to the winner of Mir vs Carwin with the moniker of "interim champion"? The belt is a joke right now anyway. Lesnar got fast-tracked because of his freakish strength, talent, and WWE popularity. Besides that, the division is relatively weak in comparison to other divisions. It's not like we are breaking up the March Madness Tournament here.

I agree, it would be hard for them to just give him a tune up fight without some long winded scenario playing out for them to make it seem like they didn't just feed him a tomato can. However, again this is just my opinion, I think Brock definitely should have one before he gets back in there based solely on the severity of the illness he went through and time off since his last fight.

Last edited by J.B.; 02-24-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lesnar, mir

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.