Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-24-2010, 05:53 AM
Stump Rules!

Default Mir apologizes about comments

HAHAHA!

Frank Mir has always been one of the more outspoken athletes in mixed martial arts, having served as a guest commentator on UFC events in the past and currently part of the regular broadcast team for World Extreme Cagefighting on Versus.

He may, however, have taken things a step too far in recent comments that he made during an interview with WXDX-FM radio in Pittsburgh. Talking about his rivalry with current UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar, Mir said he wanted Lesnar “to be the first person that dies due to Octagon-related injuries.”

The comments prompted a swift response from UFC president Dana White, who said, “I was disappointed by Frank Mir’s comments. Frank’s been with the UFC a long time, he’s a two-time heavyweight champion, and a commentator for the WEC. I think his emotions are running high right now, he has a big fight coming up next month and he’s still upset about his loss to Lesnar. He’s been talked to, he regrets what he said, and he won’t be saying anything like that again.”

Mir has fought Lesnar twice. He submitted Lesnar in the former NCAA national wrestling champion’s UFC debut, but lost in their rematch at UFC 100 when Lesnar stopped him with strikes.

The rivalry between the two has only grown more heated during Lesnar’s absence to recuperate from a bout with diverticulitis.

Even so, Mir apparently agrees the he put his foot well over the line. In a prepared statement released by the UFC on Tuesday, Mir said, “I would like to apologize to Brock Lesnar, his family, the UFC and the UFC fans for my stupid remarks. I respect Brock, all the other fighters, and the sport of mixed martial arts. I’m sorry that I stepped out of line.”

Mir will step in the Octagon to face number one contender Shane Carwin on March 27 to determine the UFC interim heavyweight champion. The winner, barring injury, will go on to face Lesnar this summer, likely at a planned July 3 event in Las Vegas. If the winner is unable to fight, Cain Velasquez will step in to face Lesnar.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...10824&zoneid=2

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 02-24-2010, 06:27 AM

I'm glad he apologized, he was WAAAY out of line (and I'm sure no fan of Lesnar).

I thought maybe he had gotten punched in the head too much and it affected his judgement, like some have suggested. I'm glad Dana read him the riot act.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:57 AM

I'm a Mir fanboy and even I know he crossed the line with those comments. I didnt even want to believe he would say something like that. :(

I'm glad he was forced to apologized though. ;)
Old 02-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
I'm a Mir fanboy and even I know he crossed the line with those comments. I didnt even want to believe he would say something like that. :(

I'm glad he was forced to apologized though. ;)

Agreed...

That apology sounds like Dana did write it.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:32 AM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
Agreed...

That apology sounds like Dana did write it.
of course dana wrote it ... mir is a moron ... hear dana is working to make mma mainstream, getting it sanctioned in all these states and other countries, and mir goes and makes it look like a total barbaric sport ... dana should make him fight brock lesnar twice now .... haha
Old 02-24-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
of course dana wrote it ... mir is a moron ... hear dana is working to make mma mainstream, getting it sanctioned in all these states and other countries, and mir goes and makes it look like a total barbaric sport ... dana should make him fight brock lesnar twice now .... haha
If you're going to insult someone, at least make sure you use the proper words in your rant.

"HERE" not "HEAR"
Old 02-24-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
I think Mir would beat him 2 more times... still not real happy that Mir made those comments..talking about "hurting someone".. and "Being responsible for the first death..".... that's WAY over the line.

But Mir will take him again.. Mir subed Brock in the first fight.. lotsa skill...

Brock crushed him with the prolly 285 weight.. and hammer fists... losta weight and power...

I don't think Mir is a moron.. at least not on the Diaz level....

But most BJJ guys I know are hyper aggressive.. it's not real easy to work with some of the ones I know..(cause my ground game is my weakest) and Mir comes off VERY confident.. but only aggressive when he is talking about Brock.. Look at how he handled the pre fight hype with Congo.. and his attitude after was not bad at all.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:52 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
I think Mir would beat him 2 more times... still not real happy that Mir made those comments..talking about "hurting someone".. and "Being responsible for the first death..".... that's WAY over the line.

But Mir will take him again.. Mir subed Brock in the first fight.. lotsa skill...

Brock crushed him with the prolly 285 weight.. and hammer fists... losta weight and power...

I don't think Mir is a moron.. at least not on the Diaz level....

But most BJJ guys I know are hyper aggressive.. it's not real easy to work with some of the ones I know..(cause my ground game is my weakest) and Mir comes off VERY confident.. but only aggressive when he is talking about Brock.. Look at how he handled the pre fight hype with Congo.. and his attitude after was not bad at all.
i think he was saved by mazz in the first fight .. but that is just my opinion ... don't get me wrong, i know mur isn't the first guy to talk trash like this .. i mean, BJ and his whole 'to the death' thing, but you gotta remember that you are representing the UFC, so be a little smarter ... BJ was saying that stuff on UFC cameras, so if they didn't like it, they could have not used it ...
Old 02-24-2010, 03:46 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Mir's comments were incredibly dumb, and he looks even dumber now by issuing an apology in the form of a prepared statement released by the UFC.

Clearly he is still bitter about the Lesnar situation. In Mir's head, he was supposed to be the guy that took out the big bad "fake-wrestler" and solidify himself as one of the top stars in MMA while going on a run as HW champ. In reality, people feel like he only won the first fight with Lesnar because he got extremely lucky and in the rematch he got completely destroyed. I mean, seriously, Mir's face looked like Rocky Dennis from the movie Mask when he came out for the 2nd round in the rematch, and fans are supposed to be interested seeing them fight again?

Mir is now stuck looking at what he sees as possibly his last chance at a really big payday in a rubber match with Lesnar, so he has to do and say whatever it takes to generate interest. I honestly think most fans could care less about a 3rd fight with Mir, they just want to see Lesnar fight, regardless of who it is.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:05 PM

HUH???

At worst.. Mir is a top 5 HW... at WORST....

I don't see the first fight that way at all...

Frank made Brock tap.. and tap hard...

The second fight...

Brock knocked Frank silly with those canned hams that he calls hands...while crushing him under his wieght..

It's a 1 and 1 record for each..

If you want to say Mir was "saved".. you can easily say that Brock was saved from being DQed for the strikes to the head..

And I for one and really looking forward to a 3rd fight ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Mir's comments were incredibly dumb, and he looks even dumber now by issuing an apology in the form of a prepared statement released by the UFC.

Clearly he is still bitter about the Lesnar situation. In Mir's head, he was supposed to be the guy that took out the big bad "fake-wrestler" and solidify himself as one of the top stars in MMA while going on a run as HW champ. In reality, people feel like he only won the first fight with Lesnar because he got extremely lucky and in the rematch he got completely destroyed. I mean, seriously, Mir's face looked like Rocky Dennis from the movie Mask when he came out for the 2nd round in the rematch, and fans are supposed to be interested seeing them fight again?

Mir is now stuck looking at what he sees as possibly his last chance at a really big payday in a rubber match with Lesnar, so he has to do and say whatever it takes to generate interest. I honestly think most fans could care less about a 3rd fight with Mir, they just want to see Lesnar fight, regardless of who it is.

Tags
lesnar, mir