Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 02-21-2010, 11:51 PM
DonnaMaria

Default Does God speak to us through dreams?

I know he has in the past.......the Bible tells of times when God came and spoke through dreams.........but does that still happen?

I feel like He does. But my feelings are often misguided. I don't trust them.

I wanted to hear what everyone else thought. And please point me to passages that confirm/disprove what you think.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Hughes fanboy

During the Old Covenant He did, but not now.

He speaks to us through our prayers, convictions, and our reading and meditation of His Word.

We know and understand the character and nature of God through 4 things:

the God of Israel through the OT
the person of Jesus Christ
through nature as it is HIS creation
through our moral conscience (see: Ten Commandments on that)

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 02-22-2010, 12:04 AM
surveyorshawn

I definitely believe so, Donna. Here is a passage from Joel chapter 2, that talks about the end times, or the Day of the Lord:

The Day of the LORD
28 "And afterward,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your old men will dream dreams,
your young men will see visions.

29 Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days.

30 I will show wonders in the heavens
and on the earth,
blood and fire and billows of smoke.

31 The sun will be turned to darkness
and the moon to blood
before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD.

That passage is also repeated in Acts chapter 2

I know of several people who the Lord has spoken to in dreams, and I believe it has happened to me as well. I recounted one in the thread "I thought I Knew God". As scripture says, though, test everything by comparing it with the Word. Don't accept anything that contradicts scripture, or that seems really fruity. If you have a pastor that you trust (hopefully you do!), I would run it by him as well!
Old 02-22-2010, 12:19 AM
DonnaMaria

I appreciate both of your replies! Thank you!

I guess I should further explain. Sometimes I fall asleep when I am praying. I am talking things over with God.......and I drift off.....and then I am having this dream........and then when I wake up......10 minutes later or 7 hours later......I feel like God has "spoken" to me.

This afternoon I was having a panic attack, like I sometimes do. And I kept having this vision of my girls in coffins.......horrible, horrible images that I know are from Satan to keep me scared and to make it hard for me to focus on anything else. I am so overcome with fear that it makes me freeze. And I have come to understand that when that happens I need to "reset" my brain and I need to lay down and pray.......and I did. I asked Him to take these images away from me. To help me focus on Him.

.....and I had this dream of this HUGE rocking chair. And Jesus was in it and he was rocking me and my girls. We were all really tiny.

I have had this dream often. Most of the time Jesus is rocking me and my son who passed on before he could be born. but this time it was me and my girls.

And then we were in the woods, my girls and I. and we kept going around and around in circles. and we couldn't get to where we needed/wanted to go, but we weren't scared and even though it was night time it was as light out as daytime. we could see everything. and we were hungry but we kept finding food. little things to eat. not big feasts or anything but enough to eat. and we were okay.

and then i woke up. it was about 30 minutes later. and I felt like this huge weight was lifted. and before i prayed/slept i was overcome with fear and panic. and then when i woke up I was ok. not completely fine, not hopping around happy, but okay. the panic was gone.

so was that my mind just working things out.......or something more?
Old 02-22-2010, 12:25 AM
Rackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMaria View Post
I know he has in the past.......the Bible tells of times when God came and spoke through dreams.........but does that still happen?

I feel like He does. But my feelings are often misguided. I don't trust them.

I wanted to hear what everyone else thought. And please point me to passages that confirm/disprove what you think.

Thanks!
I would say that he most definitely can, but as with all things we should look at it in the light of Scripture to make sure that it is from God.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:26 AM
surveyorshawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMaria View Post
I appreciate both of your replies! Thank you!

I guess I should further explain. Sometimes I fall asleep when I am praying. I am talking things over with God.......and I drift off.....and then I am having this dream........and then when I wake up......10 minutes later or 7 hours later......I feel like God has "spoken" to me.

This afternoon I was having a panic attack, like I sometimes do. And I kept having this vision of my girls in coffins.......horrible, horrible images that I know are from Satan to keep me scared and to make it hard for me to focus on anything else. I am so overcome with fear that it makes me freeze. And I have come to understand that when that happens I need to "reset" my brain and I need to lay down and pray.......and I did. I asked Him to take these images away from me. To help me focus on Him.

.....and I had this dream of this HUGE rocking chair. And Jesus was in it and he was rocking me and my girls. We were all really tiny.

I have had this dream often. Most of the time Jesus is rocking me and my son who passed on before he could be born. but this time it was me and my girls.

And then we were in the woods, my girls and I. and we kept going around and around in circles. and we couldn't get to where we needed/wanted to go, but we weren't scared and even though it was night time it was as light out as daytime. we could see everything. and we were hungry but we kept finding food. little things to eat. not big feasts or anything but enough to eat. and we were okay.

and then i woke up. it was about 30 minutes later. and I felt like this huge weight was lifted. and before i prayed/slept i was overcome with fear and panic. and then when i woke up I was ok. not completely fine, not hopping around happy, but okay. the panic was gone.

so was that my mind just working things out.......or something more?
Without knowing any more about it, I would say it sounds like God was comforting you. It seems like a dream from God Nothing sounded far out or weird or anything. It just sounded like He was letting you know He loves you and is taking care of you, so you don't have to worry, a very, very good dream! It isn't like you had a dream telling you to give your life savings to Benny Hinn or to marry Prince Harry or something freaky!
Old 02-22-2010, 01:47 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

GOD can, my Mother sometimes gets Dreams, so to speak.

However, I think it is the most unreliable form of communication. I should hope that if its a serious message or communication it would manifest itself in other, more obvious ways also.

I have never had any dreams, I dont even remember most of my dreams.

Owls on the other hand

Sorry I couldnt be of more use
Old 02-22-2010, 02:24 AM
Administrator

My favorite book in the Bible Daniel. It is full of dreams and or visions. So I think it could be possible.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post

However, I think it is the most unreliable form of communication. :
This is God you are talking about. Sometimes I dont think you think before you post.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:06 AM
Administrator

I do believe that GOD can and does speak to us in dreams. There is plenty of Biblical precedent for it, but it is far from a common occurence. Plus, some dreams would require an interpreter which means that it could take weeks, months, even years to learn the meaning of a particular dream.

However, this is very important, not every dream or vision is from GOD. This is why the Bible tells us to test the spirits:

Quote:
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God; and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God; this is the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world. (1 John 4:1-3)